Game Day AFL Round 1 - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Western Bulldogs(Marvel Stadium - 7:50PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels good to win round 1..

With only 17 round season it's way more important too.
Yep, saw a stat the other day that in the last 25 years, only two teams have made finals with a negative W/L ratio after round 17.

So history suggests that 9 wins is the benchmark for finals, so early losses this year make it a fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great start to a weird season, but what a win. Complete performance from our backline through to our forwards.
Grundy the best player in the comp along with Dusty, love how Howe, Moore and Roughead work together, Pendles keeps performing 300+ games later. The forwards, with Mihocek in particular, worked beautifully.
Loved how we rotated our forwards, and our mids, even using Elliott in middle . Love this set up for us.

Last edited:
What a difference it made with Brodie hitting the ball outwards instead of down at his feet. Don't know the stats but the centre clearances must have been up.

Loved that we are able to change the mid-field combination and the full forwad spot around so fluently tonight. This must surely put opposing defenders off balance.

So many good players tonight, but I always admire the quiet achievers, so thought Checkers and Mayne were really good tonight - such no nonsense, hard-working, stalwart footballers.

Knightmare midfield has held up fine. You don’t have to be so worried mate.

I'd summarise it more-so as Grundy carried and owned English which enabled the midfield to look good. Grundy was incredible and as good as I've seen him.

That's not going to happen every week. Not everyone is a pushover as English is, so a larger sample size is required.

A great first up performance though and keeping all but Macrae to 2 or less clearances and Bont having no meaningful impact is incredible and something that great confidence should be taken from.

Looked like a top-4 side and possible contender I was watching tonight. Shorter game seemed to suit a good portion of the group.

Great win!! If anyone likes bookmarking sh*t predictions I'm happy for mine to get dragged through the ringer!

Didn't see that coming, dismantled them from the start. Plenty to like out of that.

Bring on the Tigs

best things about tonight was so many fresh faces in the same side. Brown brothers, Daicos and Magden. our medium term future looks solid.

Not enough praise for Noble. He is clearly being groomed as that quarterback back pocket player that we haven't had since Leon2011. Did a great job during the preseason and continued tonight. A real weapon with his pace and neat footskills in a backline that has a lot of intercept but not much run (excepting Crisp of course).

Not good for Phillips Sidebottom or Rantall
Sidebottom looked to handle it fine. But Uhhh ur point is? If the team is overall better but 3 players struggle slightly more ... whats the issue there ? Not to mention each club generally has their 2-3 endurance kings like Phillips etc, it would generally even out across the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back