Autopsy Behinddogs beat Swans, 71-60

Remove this Banner Ad

I got react banned for a month because I laughed at a single post on their board. How on earth did you not get banned haha
I mean I got banned from commenting on that actual thread but I was never going to do that again anyway hahaha.

Yeah same, which was weird, usually it's a random mod. What is it about the softcocks on the Sydney board? Can't do anything without copping bans
Actually I only got a week off reactions.

But still ..

Melbourne supporters follow us around laughing so there's that. And there's one random Carltank supporter who does it as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Late opposition rankings after watching replay for anyone who cares
Everyone starts at 0 and only goes up (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. Not everyone can be a stand out.)

English 10/10 (11/10 if going off scale)
-
Bontempelli 8/10
Dunkley 8/10
-
Hunter 7/10
Keath 7/10
B Smith 7/10
Treloar 6/10
Vandermeer 6/10
Macrae 6/10
Gardner 6/10
Dale 6/10
Weightman 6/10
-
Ugle-Hagan 5/10
Duryea 4/10
Richards 4/10
Scott 4/10
Liberatore 4/10
-
R Smith 3/10
Naughton 3/10
Daniel 3/10
Wallis 2/10
-
Hannan 1/10
Cordy 0/10

Everyone starts at 0 and only goes up (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. Not everyone can be a stand out.)

-
Bontempelli 8/10
Dunkley 8/10
-
Hunter 7/10
Keath 7/10
B Smith 7/10
Treloar 6/10
Vandermeer 6/10
Macrae 6/10
Gardner 6/10
Dale 6/10
Weightman 6/10
-
Ugle-Hagan 5/10
Duryea 4/10
Richards 4/10
Scott 4/10
Liberatore 4/10
-
R Smith 3/10
Naughton 3/10
Daniel 3/10
Wallis 2/10
-
Hannan 1/10
Cordy 0/10
Seems fair. Duryea low. English too high. Ruck work still average.

-
Bontempelli 8/10
Dunkley 8/10
-
Hunter 7/10
Keath 7/10
B Smith 7/10
Treloar 6/10
Vandermeer 6/10
Macrae 6/10
Gardner 6/10
Dale 6/10
Weightman 6/10
-
Ugle-Hagan 5/10
Duryea 4/10
Richards 4/10
Scott 4/10
Liberatore 4/10
-
R Smith 3/10
Naughton 3/10
Daniel 3/10
Wallis 2/10
-
Hannan 1/10
Cordy 0/10
I just noticed you also did an umpire review. I'm not bothered to look at it in detail but did see this one which you called incorrect (either way it was inconsequential towards the result given it happened right at the end, but by way of explanation):
Screenshot_20220402-125547_Kayo Sports.jpg
This is very clearly the correct call for a ruck infringement, it couldn't even be considered soft or grey. You simply can't make contact with the opposing ruck when on the other side of the ball, it's a block. It's an often misunderstood rule, one which inexperienced/part time ruckman often get caught out on.
0:21 - (#26, midfield) ruck block for English against Amartey - Incorrect call

I just noticed you also did an umpire review. I'm not bothered to look at it in detail but did see this one which you called incorrect (either way it was inconsequential towards the result given it happened right at the end, but by way of explanation):
View attachment 1364766
This is very clearly the correct call for a ruck infringement, it couldn't even be considered soft or grey. You simply can't make contact with the opposing ruck when on the other side of the ball, it's a block. It's an often misunderstood rule, one which inexperienced/part time ruckman often get caught out on.
As an AFL fan for a meagre 8 years I’ve got to confess I have no idea about the nuance of the rucking contest. Obvious blocks are one thing, but what you’ve just described is news to me. Thanks!

As an AFL fan for a meagre 8 years I’ve got to confess I have no idea about the nuance of the rucking contest. Obvious blocks are one thing, but what you’ve just described is news to me. Thanks!
These types of calls are always met with groans from the crowd (whoever the team) because they're not super obvious to the eye and the rule doesn't seem all that well known. To an umpire though it's a very easy decision.

These types of calls are always met with groans from the crowd (whoever the team) because they're not super obvious to the eye and the rule doesn't seem all that well known. To an umpire though it's a very easy decision.
I’ve never heard the commentators explain it - there’s a chance they’re not too wise to it either. Are there any former ruckmen doing the commentary on Fox? Nobody springs to mind.

View attachment 1364766
I understand what you're saying Sentinel, and I understand the rule. But I don't understand what Amartey is supposed to do in mid-air when he has legally jumped from his side of the circle, and the fault is in the execution of a bounce by the umpire that does not allow both ruckmen to run towards the ball drop after it hits the peak of its upward trajectory. I can understand why some people (putting teams aside) would argue English seems to be the one with his right arm on Amartey's shoulder.

The ruckmen are expected to adjust their jump mid-air and be perfect in their execution, when the bounce is inconsistent.

It may not be soft or grey from the umpire's perspective, but they are the ones effectively causing the infringement in the first place. I know our game is one of variation based on the shape and bounce of the ball, I just don't understand what either ruckman are supposed to do in this scenario to adjust - wait until the ball is dropping before taking a step backwards to re-adjust their leap, and concede the advantage to their opponent?

I understand what you're saying Sentinel, and I understand the rule. But I don't understand what Amartey is supposed to do in mid-air when he has legally jumped from his side of the circle, and the fault is in the execution of a bounce by the umpire that does not allow both ruckmen to run towards the ball drop after it hits the peak of its upward trajectory. I can understand why some people (putting teams aside) would argue English seems to be the one with his right arm on Amartey's shoulder.

The ruckmen are expected to adjust their jump mid-air and be perfect in their execution, when the bounce is inconsistent.

It may not be soft or grey from the umpire's perspective, but they are the ones effectively causing the infringement in the first place. I know our game is one of variation based on the shape and bounce of the ball, I just don't understand what either ruckman are supposed to do in this scenario to adjust - wait until the ball is dropping before taking a step backwards to re-adjust their leap, and concede the advantage to their opponent?
The ruck blocking rule is one that annoys me, but so long as it exists, part of ruck craft should be the ability to judge your leap. When the umpire bounces the ball, you should be able to make that quick decision about when and where to jump, while also ensuring you aren't restricting the opposition's access to the ball. s**t rule, but it's not impossible for rucks to adjust to it

The ruck blocking rule is one that annoys me, but so long as it exists, part of ruck craft should be the ability to judge your leap. When the umpire bounces the ball, you should be able to make that quick decision about when and where to jump, while also ensuring you aren't restricting the opposition's access to the ball. s**t rule, but it's not impossible for rucks to adjust to it
Yeah, but generally both rucks are committing their run and jump as the ball is hitting the ground before it rises in anticipation. Looking at that photo, I doubt Amartey had any intent to block English, he's just jumped at the same time, and the ball has gone back over his head. They're both at 45 degree angles to each other in their body positioning.

I get what you're saying as well, my issue is with the execution of the bounce actually being the cause of the infringement. If the bounce is 'too far' off centre, the umpire has the option to recall it due to their poor execution, but a ruckman lives and dies on not even a split second decision in that scenario.

Anyhoo, not a biggie, I just like beating up on the inconsistency of AFL umpiring in general, and this just adds to the dossier I am going to smack Gil, KB, Kennedy and others over the head with when I run into them. I carry the dossier in a (large) briefcase whenever I leave the house, just in case one of those muppets comes within arm-shot on my travels. :D

Edit: if I knew who ANY of the anonymous AFLW umpires or AFLW umpires directors were, I'd actually throw the dossier at them, as AFLW umpiring makes AFL umpiring appear almost consistent on occasion.

Don't overrun the ball. It's not that hard. You can see the ball's trajectory well before the jump is made.

In the photo above he has several meters between the back of the circle and where the ball is landing, not hard to not overshoot there.

Yeah it's a difficult one and only really relevant at centre bounces (as opposed to stoppages in general play where they throw the ball up, which should always result in the ball going striaght up and down). A ruckman's starting position is limited by the inner circle, which means they shouldn't have any great momentum prior to jumping - it's not like the old days where they'd have a big run up and be unable to stop themselves. It is on the ruckman to assess the trajectory of the ball before going into their jump, and if they misjudge it then they risk a free kick (as Amartey has done here), that's a required skill.

With a wayward bounce you'll see an experienced ruckman won't usually have any problem with adjusting for it, perhaps in Amartey case given he was giving away so much height to English he had to be more aggressive in his approach and therfore wasn't able to adjust to the bounce.

No doubt he was caught out by the umpire's bounce not going straight up and down, but the only requirement for the umpire is that the ball stays within the centre circle - if they threw it up instead of bouncing it, that might be a different story. Ruckman know this.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back