Free Agency Brad Crouch [joins St Kilda as a RFA for pick 23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you soo much saints , I really was worried he may end up at the Tigers

Extremely strategic offer by the saints , I doubt even $700k x 5 will likely get a Band 1 and would be extremely surprised if it does with all the compo picks handed out so far what was the lowest of the contracts that returned a band 1 ?

The AFL would cop a hell of alot of crap from teams like the eagles & richmond as well as the media comparisons to previous compo picks
we all seen last year about the Ellis compo and how much crap they handed out.

But the part of this offer that is extremely strategic is that it is placed exactly at the point where the crows would not have wanted it to be

$650k-$700k x 5 years is a contract that the crows just cannot match unless they actually want to keep him (which i dont believe they do)
But if they match the saints could walk away and Crows get caught holding the baby.

This deal could have been spoken about and agreed upon with Crouch's managment & St Kilda where if the crows match then thats fine and crouch stays

What a great deal for Brad but not so great for the Crows
I think it's a good deal for both. Crows get not much less than they would in trade, be seen to be letting him walk for unders, get to talk about a line in the sand etc. Could be their Brisbane moment.

Also lowest contract was Frawley i think and if you scale his contract up to current salary cap it's something like 780k per year.

I think it's a good deal for both. Crows get not much less than they would in trade, be seen to be letting him walk for unders, get to talk about a line in the sand etc. Could be their Brisbane moment.

Also lowest contract was Frawley i think and if you scale his contract up to current salary cap it's something like 780k per year.
Well all the Crows supporters kept telling everybody that they wanted to keep him and that he wanted to stay but was after the big $$$ which the crows were not prepared to pay and told him to go see what he gets

Well they should be stoked at keeping their best player for the same contract they had been paying him and Brad always wanted to stay as his GF didnt want to leave and his brother there and if the crows match he should be over the moon to stay

Well all the Crows supporters kept telling everybody that they wanted to keep him and that he wanted to stay but was after the big $$$ which the crows were not prepared to pay and told him to go see what he gets

Well they should be stoked at keeping their best player for the same contract they had been paying him and Brad always wanted to stay as his GF didnt want to leave and his brother there and if the crows match he should be over the moon to stay
I don't think they ever intended to keep him. They were just saying what they needed to say to placate an angry fanbase

Question, is AFL formula for compensation decided before or after Adelaide choose to match?

if before, what a joke of a system.
The answer to your question is 'before'.

Compensation is decided based on a formula that ranks players based primarily on guaranteed average annual income with some points given based on the age of the player, and contract length used as a tie-breaker if all else is equal. The top 5% of players in that ranking at the time of the offer net their club a band 1 compensation pick.

Compensation bands and formula are explained here with examples from past years:

The issue I have with Crouch is that he was caught holding the bag with Cocaine (even though I firmly believe it was Stengle's coke, not his)

If It was just some weed/hash, I doubt there would be so much of a furore really.

From all reports he has been a solid citizen up until that point, so he does get the benefit of the doubt from me though.

Saints look like a good fit for him though as well.

Hope the Crows get good compo as well.
If you think having a bag of cocaine doesn’t make you a solid citizen then unfortunately there’s not many solid citizens out there. Lawyers, doctors, nurses, teachers ect ect all dabble in nose beers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.

Billings simply has to be played on the ball IMO. He is your most talented player and you don't pick guys at number 2 to sit them on a half forward flank. Work the scenario in reverse. Effective small forwards are easier positions to find (see Dan Butler) and you could keep both those guys on the ball the whole game.

Not saying he is a bad player, but how much extra does he give you above a Dunstan? Personally I think the Saints would be better off throw cash at guys in the next tier like Kelly/Whitfield and land a Star of the comp, rather than a above average mid who is injury prone.
Billings is definitely at his best playing wing/half forward, much more damaging.

In what world was hill better than O’Meara this year? O’Meara missed 5 games and still came 8th. Hill couldn’t even crack the top 10.
Cracking the top 10 for a semi finalist is pretty hard. Missing 5 games and finishing in the top 10 says more about your list than how good omeara is.

You'd think fair chance they lose his brother as a free agent next year.
I don't think many crows supporters would be very fussed. Matt too often is looking sideways or backwards and rarely takes the game on. Gets the ball plenty but doesn't hurt opps too often with it.

Going to be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

Are Crows going to match a 5 year deal though? If so that makes things annoying, talk maybe our future first would be involved.

Because holding onto a player that doesn't want to be there is a terrible way to build a club culture in a list restart.
Was ok for Tim Kelly 12m ago though

Going to be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

Are Crows going to match a 5 year deal though? If so that makes things annoying, talk maybe our future first would be involved.
Agree. Saints should just offer another 50k and not pay anything in terms of draft picks.

Crows may even take Luke Dunstan off your hands which wluld free up some space.

Agree. Saints should just offer another 50k and not pay anything in terms of draft picks.

Crows may even take Luke Dunstan off your hands which wluld free up some space.
Reports consistent at 600k for 4 years with a 5th trigger year. Number of triggers in the deal.

I dont see another 50k getting the band one compo, I would've thought more like 150k+

Remove this Banner Ad

Back