Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 21 vs. Hawthorn, MCG Sun 08/08 @ 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who thinks we are guaranteed? I don’t think anyone thinks that. Especially considering our lack of experience with the ground. Id almost have hawks fav simply due to that.
Never gave a thought to an automatic win against the Hawks myself.

Why bring Reef in on the strength of 15 possessions when the guy is obviously not fully match fit. Leave him till next year. We don't need to see every one of our new players in action. Bianco was played as a small forward and kicked two goals. Why drop him? Madgen and Mayne were alright and are definitely not going to be dropped for a guy who was given a number of AFL games and failed to impress. You don't change players just for the sake of it.
I wouldn’t bring Reef in straight away off a 15 possession game either, but would be good to give him a taste before the season is out.

Having experienced what’s required in the firsts may be a good incentive for him to hit the preseason harder, and put him in a better position come Rd 1 next year.

No change for me.

Only thing could be Bianco gets managed, and Poulter or Murphy comes back into the 22, and make Bianco the med sub or we bite the bullet with McInnes, and give him a run.
No one AFL listed really stood out in the VFL, besides Wilson. Our better players were the VFL boys.

Last edited:
No change for me.

Only thing could be Bianco gets managed, and Poulter or Murphy comes back into the 22, and make Bianco the med sub or we bite the bullet with McInnes, and give him a run.
No one AFL listed really stood out in the VFL, besides Wilson. Our better players were the VFL boys.

On what basis? They’ve both been poor since the bye, Poulter was poor at VFL level and Murphy was the sub. I think we’re all on board with exposing inexperienced guys to senior footy, but there’s a balance between that and poor team selection.

I feel this will be a shoot out between the best running back defences, both sides have been improving in this area of late however if JDG and Adams have big games and Macrae keeps improving, we can beat them from the midfield.

Lynch deserves another crack at it but it will be at the expense of D Cameron who's been ok for us. We need to test the Lynch/Grundy combo before the year is out

Clarko will be auditioning for the top job at the pies and if they beat us, no interview necessary, sign him up lol

I feel this will be a shoot out between the best running back defences, both sides have been improving in this area of late however if JDG and Adams have big games and Macrae keeps improving, we can beat them from the midfield.

Lynch deserves another crack at it but it will be at the expense of D Cameron who's been ok for us. We need to test the Lynch/Grundy combo before the year is out

Clarko will be auditioning for the top job at the pies and if they beat us, no interview necessary, sign him up lol
It'll be a good midfield battle, JDG in good form with Adams and Macrae. But with Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel and Wingard all dominating the Lions through both midfield and going forward kicking goals i'd lean our way but it depends who shows up.

Clarko won't coach in 2022 and you'll want to get a coach signed 2022 and beyond to build the future.

It'll be a good midfield battle, JDG in good form with Adams and Macrae. But with Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel and Wingard all dominating the Lions through both midfield and going forward kicking goals i'd lean our way but it depends who shows up.

Clarko won't coach in 2022 and you'll want to get a coach signed 2022 and beyond to build the future.
BTW, I did tack a lol at the end of sentence so wasn't serious about clarko

On what basis? They’ve both been poor since the bye, Poulter was poor at VFL level and Murphy was the sub. I think we’re all on board with exposing inexperienced guys to senior footy, but there’s a balance between that and poor team selection.

Well my post did say "No Change", and "no AFL listed player stood out in the VFL"...
I only mentioned Bianco because he is a young body, and could be managed, and l only mentioned Poulter or Murphy, because the club may want them to have another run at AFL level, or give McInnes a run at AFL level. Its all about development, win/losses are inconsequential at the moment.

Well my post did say "No Change", and "no AFL listed player stood out in the VFL"...
I only mentioned Bianco because he is a young body, and could be managed, and l only mentioned Poulter or Murphy, because the club may want them to have another run at AFL level, or give McInnes a run at AFL level. Its all about development, win/losses are inconsequential at the moment.

I was only really interested in why those two if Bianco went out the rest was neither here nor there to me. The club potentially wanting those two to get another run is a bit of a copout, IMO, because I wanted to know why you put them forward. I was hoping you’d seen something I’d missed and I could potentially take a learning from it. I mean I could do the same with Chugg or McMahon because it’s all about development, right? If that’s your justification though it is what it is.

Wins and losses are consequential because we can still finish last. It’s imperative we put our best foot forward because a win pretty much locks up 14th.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was only really interested in why those two if Bianco went out the rest was neither here nor there to me. The club potentially wanting those two to get another run is a bit of a copout, IMO, because I wanted to know why you put them forward. I was hoping you’d seen something I’d missed and I could potentially take a learning from it. I mean I could do the same with Chugg or McMahon because it’s all about development, right? If that’s your justification though it is what it is.

Wins and losses are consequential because we can still finish last. It’s imperative we put our best foot forward because a win pretty much locks up 14th.

Agree. Win this and the heat comes off the club for the next few weeks.

Poulter looked done last week and i think he's had enough exposure this year to understand what needs to happen in the off season for next year.
Not sure giving him another game actually does anything for him at this point.
When he came in he was banging the door down, that's hardly the case at the moment.

Murphy i just cannot get excited about as he'd not doing the basics well enough for me. For me, I've seen enough of him this year. He gets to the right spot a lot but seems to make a small mistake, whether that's a small fumble, an 'almost mark'.

The one i want to see play is Wilson. Whilst i do question his lateral movement, he does possess a high end trick (very deft and natural on both feet).
I feel he is definitely one that has form and is worth seeing a bit more (especially because a decision needs to be made on him).
But Mayne is ahead of Wilson on team importance and will get the last few games (which he deserves)....so doesn't appear to be a spot for him.

Hard to make changes to a team that won by so much.
So might be a few others that are unlucky not to get a shot.

But IMO, this week is about best foot forward and win.

The one i want to see play is Wilson. Whilst i do question his lateral movement, he does possess a high end trick (very deft and natural on both feet).
I feel he is definitely one that has form and is worth seeing a bit more (especially because a decision needs to be made on him).
But Mayne is ahead of Wilson on team importance and will get the last few games (which he deserves)....so doesn't appear to be a spot for him.

Agree on Wilson deserving another opportunity to shine but is unlikely to get it, this week at least.

Even if he doesn't get another game this year I'd retain him because the club does not have a surplus of tall players that can kick both sides.

Noble Roughead Howe
Mayne Madgen Ruscoe

Grundy Adams Maynard
Hoskin-E Crisp Quaynor

De Goey Mihocek McCreery
Elliott Cameron Sidebottom

Macrea Daicos Henry Thomas

Sub

Bianco
Wilson Ginnivan Murphy

Last edited:
Surely no change. Anyone out would just be plain stiff to miss unless there are niggles/rest required.

With Trent Bianco, I don’t think it was fatigue, he just made skill errors and was clearly down on himself afterwards so it’s not as though he needs to be rested. I attribute it to just simple skill errors. He actually got better as the game wore on.

Ginni seems to be finding his feet, so I’d be surprised if he was dropped.

Josh Daicos does need to come back in though…

Thomas out, Daicos in.
I was a massive advocate for his sacking up until the middle of the season and couldn’t understand why he was getting a game. To his credit though, since the middle of the season, I’ve actually been content with his output at senior level. Has averaged 16 possessions, 6 score involvements and 1.2 goals a game in his last 5 games.

He still doesn’t have a career with the Pies long term, but I don’t mind what he has bought to the table in the last 5 games.

Agree on Wilson deserving another opportunity to shine but is unlikely to get it, this week at least.

Even if he doesn't get another game this year I'd retain him because the club does not have a surplus of tall players that can kick both sides.

Agree he has got something worth developing. Think the defensive wing role Mayne has vacated will be a spot worth developing him into. Don’t think he will get a gig down back for a while if Howe is fit and Ruscoe firing.

Agree he has got something worth developing. Think the defensive wing role Mayne has vacated will be a spot worth developing him into. Don’t think he will get a gig down back for a while if Howe is fit and Ruscoe firing.

I was so wrong about Ruscoe. I'm often wrong but Trey once again taught me the lesson of not jumping the gun too early on young players.

Wilson needs the same opportunity to shine and I hope he gets it next year in the backline with either Crisp and even Maynard doing more work in the centre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back