List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

It might be controversial (and I'm not advocating us chasing SPS at a high price) but on output to date I'd say it is reasonable to suggest that SPS has shown more than Clark...

I get there is a career trajectory of both that looks different, but SPS has some runs on the board (sure, needs to improve in certain areas - but he has had a number of good games, if not even good seasons)
I don’t think that’s controversial at all. We just expect to pay less because it’s lol Carlton and he nominated us

At those prices I'd pass.

He's not going to replace Nic and what Nic is good at (because he's a different style of player). So what we are going to need to do is change our stoppage style (and as such - and with time of course - change our personnel also). Would prefer to take 2 mids in the first round/s of drafts hoping one or both to come good rather than spend it all on a ruck with limited players to hit it to (not limited numbers, players with limitations!).

Also, there is not a great history for rising star winners - and it gets quite poor for those who are traded.

We can get a ruck either through the draft/s, or through trade at a cheaper price (picks and salary) who can probably offer 80-90% of what Jackson can.

You are prob right he will cost too much pick wise. Only real chance is to swoop as a FA and thats years away. Will just need to find the next big thing in the draft.

As to changing our stoppage style with new players we did that in the years when Nic went down with the players we already had. It was almost like the mids thought "geeeez no Nic so we won't be getting silver service, we will have to win our own ball'. And they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Brander meeting with carlton. Are we happy with a straight swap Brander for SPS?

SPS 1 year older

Honestly looks like a 4-winner trade. Both clubs would be happy enough, and both players get a fresh start that they probably need and the opportunity to succeed (the rest would be up to them, but the opportunity is there).

Absolutely, where do l sign? 😁

Whooo big fella..............don't jump too early we need a pick upgrade as well.

We ALL know, talls are more valuable than mids who you can get anytime (well everyone else seems to be able to draft them except us......but lets not dwell on that too long!)

Seems petty of us to haggle for a pick upgrade after wrecking Branders development. Straight swap, day one, take the weight off everyone's shoulders and give us time to make more moves.

I hate it when an easy deal holds up other negotiations for most of the pointless trade week jerk fest. In fact, wake me up when it's all over.

Whooo big fella..............don't jump too early we need a pick upgrade as well.

We ALL know, talls are more valuable than mids who you can get anytime (well everyone else seems to be able to draft them except us......but lets not dwell on that too long!)

We might be able to leverage the Cerra deal to our advantage here (assuming Carlton are willing to upgrade one of our picks slightly for Brander/SPS swap).

I assume 6+25 (or 6+future 2nd) would likely get Cerra done. Would 35 get it done?

If so we could try and get them to agree to 25+future 2nd for 29 & 35 (not sure there is much value for them though, as they could just give the future 2nd to Freo and take 25 this year to the draft - maybe upgrade their future 4th to our future 3rd or similar). Alternatively maybe 25 & 61 for 35 & 49 (may need to be 29 & 49 but I think that would be too-high a price for a 4-spot upgrade).

So Brander meeting with carlton. Are we happy with a straight swap Brander for SPS?

SPS 1 year older
Carlton have a glaring need for a tall forward to pair with Harry McKay.

The swap makes perfect sense. Maybe a few pick swaps to even it up but those two as the core pieces should get something done.

Word we are looking at bring Ash Hansen back from the dogs to fill the coaching ranks. I honestly didn't even realize he was an assistant coach there
He was really enjoying himself at the OBH last night.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I still want us to draft Tobe Watson as a rookie, especially if Rotham ends up leaving. He is way too good to not be a AFL footballer
No thanks. I used to ask my dad who is a docker fan how Toby keeps getting a game. Our other defenders are injured he would say.
Then Freo came to their senses and delisted him.

Final Draft Order
Capture.PNG

Play with the points calculator here https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator

Options for the Dogs first rounder:

West Coast - 29 and 35 = 150 point upgrade

Gold Coast - 22 and 43 = 198 point upgrade

Geelong - 30 and 32 = 188 point upgrade

Tigers - 26 and 28 = 381 point upgrade

Adelaide - 23 and 37 = 273 point upgrade

Sadly look like we're back of the line as an option. See Gold Coast looking likely as they have a stack of picks, need to combine a few of those into lower picks. They could even throw in pick 58 for an extra 170 odd points

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back