List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Sure Melbourne won't want to lose him, what club likes losing gun players. Did Hawthorn want Buddy to leave?

This is how you get a crack. Melbourne will have a salary cap squeeze coming and coming soon. Obviously the player will need to want to leave, that is a given. But by the end of 2022 looking forward 4-5 years the Dees cap will be tight, that is what happens when you win flags and finish top 4 consistently and IMO the Dees are going to be top 4 for a couple more years unless they choke on chardonney and trendy cheeses.

In 2023 - 24 Nic will retire and free up a big slice of cap space as will Shuey. It will take close to $1m to land Jackson on the rate of improvement he is showing......and two 1st rounders min.

At those prices I'd pass.

He's not going to replace Nic and what Nic is good at (because he's a different style of player). So what we are going to need to do is change our stoppage style (and as such - and with time of course - change our personnel also). Would prefer to take 2 mids in the first round/s of drafts hoping one or both to come good rather than spend it all on a ruck with limited players to hit it to (not limited numbers, players with limitations!).

Also, there is not a great history for rising star winners - and it gets quite poor for those who are traded.

We can get a ruck either through the draft/s, or through trade at a cheaper price (picks and salary) who can probably offer 80-90% of what Jackson can.

Cats are so old, they can't afford to let any young players go unless unless they have no choice, of the value makes it worth it. They have two options:

a) trade him only if get something decent back (even if he's not worth it based on form); or
b) make him see his contract out and give him game time and hope he comes good and he stays long-term or they can trade him for something good.

The difference against a pick in the late 40's, which is probably what they'd be looking at if held him an extra year and he wasn't good against trading him out this year for a pick in the mid-late 30's is minimal against the risk of holding him an extra year and having him come good.

That would be the smart option for the BDE.
They currently don't have a lot of younger players, so they desperately need to hang on to the few they have.
The risk is that he doesn't deliver next season and then his value plummets, the Club should back itself and if he flops in 2022, then so be it - move on.

Whilst their antics, in asking for a pick between 8 -27 are obviously an attempt to throw a spanner in the trade works, its not a bad ploy on their behalf.

These two teams are probably the two teams that I dislike most in the AFL, therefore any angst and feuding between the two would be tremendously entertaining, but that said it does really sh1t me when players who are still in contract, request to be traded to a specified team ( unless extenuating circumstances ).

I may be way too " Old School " but to me a contract is a contract and players should be made to honour them.

Last edited:

Cats want a pick somewhere between Freo's 8-27, soooo glad we're not going after Clark but glad they're doing this to Freo.

Yeah that’s going to be fun watching

I still want us to draft Tobe Watson as a rookie, especially if Rotham ends up leaving. He is way too good to not be a AFL footballer

They currently don't have a lot of younger players, so they desperately need to hang on to the few they have.
The risk is that he doesn't deliver next season and then his value plummets, the Club should back itself and if he flops in 2022, then so be it - move on.

Whilst their antics, in asking for a pick between 8 -27 are obviously an attempt to throw a spanner in the trade works, its not a bad ploy on their behalf.

These two teams are probably the two teams that I dislike most in the AFL, therefore any angst and feuding between the two would be tremendously entertaining, but that said it does really sh1t me when players who are still in contract, request to be traded to a specified team ( unless extenuating circumstances ).

I may be way too " Old School " but to me a contract is a contract and players should be made to honour them.

My first ever meme generated....
1632706524878.png

I still want us to draft Tobe Watson as a rookie, especially if Rotham ends up leaving. He is way too good to not be a AFL footballer
I'm comfortable with the 1 red head on the list at a time approach. Bailey Williams has that spot for us.

Last edited:

I have no issue with this, especially in this case. It's not like he's just leaving for bigger money, he's leaving because Geelong don't value him, and aren't giving him games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo troll account?

Name me one rookie listed player we have had thats performed better then him in the last few years?

We cant say we have too many HBs and what not if we lose a guy like Rotham who played 15+ games also. If Rotham goes id rather rookie a AFL ready player then pick up a youngster higher up in the draft for a position we need to fill but not with any core desperation.

Id be surprised if anyone can name a better delisted player to cover that role as a rookie myself?

Name me one rookie listed player we have had thats performed better then him in the last few years?

We cant say we have too many HBs and what not if we lose a guy like Rotham who played 15+ games also. If Rotham goes id rather rookie a AFL ready player then pick up a youngster higher up in the draft for a position we need to fill but not with any core desperation.

Id be surprised if anyone can name a better delisted player to cover that role as a rookie myself?

JJ and West.

Obviously neither are defenders - but both are better performed than Watson IMO.

He'd be competing against Foley, Witherden, Nelson, Cole, Duggan, Hurn, Shep and Rotham (not listing the key defenders) for a spot. Better off taking a draftee in the RD to see if the make it rather than a 9th-string backup-for-the-backup defender.

It's basically the Kelly trade the first time he said he wanted to come to WCE... Asking price was high, and even when met, the goal posts kept moving. Geelong then ran with 'we tried to get Kelly home, but we just couldn't get there'. Can see a similar scenario playing out and Clarke staying at Geelong for 2022.

JJ and West.

Obviously neither are defenders - but both are better performed than Watson IMO.

He'd be competing against Foley, Witherden, Nelson, Cole, Duggan, Hurn, Shep and Rotham (not listing the key defenders) for a spot. Better off taking a draftee in the RD to see if the make it rather than a 9th-string backup-for-the-backup defender.

I 100% mean if Rotham goes, Watson gets rookied is where im going with this FYI. I think we need to replace Rotham with a AFL ready player who can be promoted to fill a role at a low level wage and what not.

That’s not a reason to draft him.

I’d rather a rookie as there is more potential for upside. Drafting a used up player who won’t ever make a difference is not better.

Again someone suggesting to take rubbish from clubs in worse position than us.

Never ends.

Word we are looking at bring Ash Hansen back from the dogs to fill the coaching ranks. I honestly didn't even realize he was an assistant coach there

So we've lost Hickmont and Graham (not sure if the 2nd one is confirmed yet). Brought it Schofield and Knights.

Would Hansen mean we are bringing in an additional coach (i.e. one more than we had in 2021)? Or is someone else leaving?

Edwards.

Watson isn't a touch on Nelson who struggled to get games with us. He's just not AFL quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back