List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
With the signing spree of players and bringing in SPS I doubt we have breached anything. We would have had a sacrificial lamb.

With the signing spree of players and bringing in SPS I doubt we have breached anything. We would have had a sacrificial lamb.

Someone who was surprisingly delisted despite being a former first rounder and having the best year of his short career?

Someone who was surprisingly delisted despite being a former first rounder and having the best year of his short career?

Brander? Not sure there was any surprise in that and he would have been on peanuts.

Nah, Geelong did this a few years ago. As long as it was a minor infraction, that came about from admin error (as opposed to deliberate deception), we should only get a slap on the wrist.

Pretty damning if true. How the Richest club in Australia can't get its back office together is beyond me. Might be time for Nisbett to go as well.

Yep, really depends on what rule was broken.

It's not as simple as saying there are X amount of dollars available - and anything paid over that means you are in trouble.

Because there are approved payments outside the cap - not just AFL marketing, but club marketing, promotions etc.

So we could easily have broken the rules (i.e. missed a declaration on something) but not broken the payment amounts (not declaring something by oversight - but that something might have been used in calculations etc).

Will be interesting to see if the story is real, and if so, what the infraction was.

If we traded back into the first round, and had taken a balanced or contested midfielder. The player I would want is Chesser, finally founds some high lights for him.

Sandy Dragon, I saw him play early this year and was impressed and then again in the Vic Country vs Metro game. But he missed a heap of this year through injury. But he would add the outside run and class we'd need.

Mutimers Contract:

Jurassic GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

What about a scape goat, will that suffice?

I would be happy to leave a rookie spot open and have tom joyce train on over summer . He has had injuries but if he can get through pre season unscathed he could be a good pick up .
Smaller inside mid who racks them up , decent pace and duel sided kicking .
I would prefer to see how he goes in the WAFL for a year ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It never should have come to this.

If it was going to cause this much of an issue with Brander where he wants nothing to do with the club then that's on the bloody club for either having no plan, or poisoning the well with one of their own. Total failure.

How you can turn a kid draftee who's a massive eagles fan into a jaded player that wants nothing to do with the club 4 years later is beyond me.

At the very least, IF there was an inkling Brander was heading in this direction the club should have traded him in the Kelly deal. Or offloaded him LAST year even, when he might've been worth something. Hell, we've all been speculating for a couple years now that Brander "Would be pissed off" and that it's only a matter of time before he leaves. And this is us, with no ties to the club at all.

Instead they've ran a first round draft pick into the ground will criminally bad development, had the ******* president go on radio and publicly show how much we don't rate him to alleviate any doubt whatsoever about his trade value, then eventually he walks out the door for nothing. Brander and his manager wanting out is fine, but how did we get him to that point?

How ever which way you spin it, this has been horrible list management and player development from day 1 until now.
100% this.
Last year he was likely worth a LATE 1st round pick. The year before he was worth more. Now, freeagent delist.

Great list management...

Speaking of club errors, it seems that Erasmus wasn't in our academy because his parents didn't read the email from the club in time, not because the club screwed up. Moot point as we couldn't have matched a first round selection but it's good to know it wasn't the club.

Source is an interview with Erasmus in today's West.

Speaking of club errors, it seems that Erasmus wasn't in our academy because his parents didn't read the email from the club in time, not because the club screwed up. Moot point as we couldn't have matched a first round selection but it's good to know it wasn't the club.

Source is an interview with Erasmus in today's West.
I do love the thought of WC HQ not getting a reply to their email and going "Ah well we've done all we can do, if only there was an invention that allows us to speak to people in real time with our voices instead of waiting for them to read an email. Shame"

I do love the thought of WC HQ not getting a reply to their email and going "Ah well we've done all we can do, if only there was an invention that allows us to speak to people in real time with our voices instead of waiting for them to read an email. Shame"

"He didn't reply? Well, he must be dead." *dusts hands and reaches for a pie*

Pretty sure Monocle mentioned he'd actually planned to pursue cricket initially, so they ignored the academy mostly due to this reason.

dreaming - he has been hopeless for 4 years, given every chance in many positions to cover his weaknesss

Hopeless for 4 years? Some people thought differently at different times.

I thing the club is manageing his development extremely well. He has a lot to offer but it will take time.
Brander is a case in point - he is a key forward but has real flexibility - we will take a year or two more befoire he will be possibly competative up forward. We need to be patient.
Brander will be an asset in the future I am sure but he hasnt yet develop physically to the extent that he can compete.
Brander played his best game. I can now see him making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back