Traded Dayne Beams and pick 67 traded for picks 5 and 25, and Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of Collingwood supporters took it as him talking about our club. It was ambiguous enough to leave that open to interpretation, he didn't specify that he was talking about the media.

And plenty took it, as commenting on the media and social media.

He used our captain to make a joke about him wanting to leave. I can't imagine a professional coach doing anything like this. It really looks like a BF post.

He said.. "BTW Did you hear that pendles wants out. It's that easy." Clearly Leppitsch was commenting on how easy it was to start rumours, seeing that he had to tweet to finally dispel the rumours in the media (both social and print) about Aish and Mayes being traded.

I don't care! (Edit: not about your opinion, about the fact that Fitzroy got the raw end of the stick – mergers make no sense to me and Brisbane's failure as a club is a testament to that)

Quite apart from the fact that Brisbane hasn't 'failed' as a club (whatever that means), there was no merger.

Being that most of our KPP's were drafted in the same year that's a ridiculous comment
Ummm... That's exactly my point, I didn't contradict myself and I'm not sure how you seemed to read that into my comment. All of your KPP's are too young and pretty average, they will take years of development to get anywhere near the required level (if they ever get there).

He said.. "BTW Did you hear that pendles wants out. It's that easy." Clearly Leppitsch was commenting on how easy it was to start rumours, seeing that he had to tweet to finally dispel the rumours in the media (both social and print) about Aish and Mayes being traded.

Quite apart from the fact that Brisbane hasn't 'failed' as a club (whatever that means), there was no merger.

Mate, your coach is an absolute *******, he yet again acted inappropriately. He has a history of acting inappropriately. He obviously lacks maturity, that is behaiving appropriately in the social circumstances. If someone lack maturity then they lack proper leadership too. Leppa will fail as a coach because of his flaws as a human being.

Good luch having a *head of a coach who tweets and trolls on social media being your coach. :thumbsu:

His behaviour on social media was disgraceful given he is in a position of leadership and authority as coach.

It showed a lack of maturity, and to define maturity, that could open a can of worms but to summarise it is acting appropriately in social situations for various occasion. Now Leppa has acted with disdain in the past, such as his relationship with Akermanis and other incidents. His behaviour on social media as a coach isn't helping things or his image.

nah, it was hilarious and he made a good point...

you, on the other hand...

So it is ambiguous.

Clearly he shouldn't be using the captain of the club he is negotiating with as an example. If he is so childish that he needs to rant at the media (who are just being their usual selves) on twitter, he could have used 'Did you hear that we bringing Fevola back. Its that easy'. Instead he used the example of Collingwood's captain wanting out, when his club is negotiating to get Collingwood's second best player at the club, when supporters from Collingwood are nervous about the situation, and when the media is all ears out for rumour and innuendo.

I'm pretty sure having no success on field and being incapable of growth off field since the end of the AFL concessions (tailored to offer your club success) is a sign of failure. In the corporate world, without the help of the ever-caring AFL, you'd be gone.

Pies fans.... would you have wanted to keep Ball if you knew Beams wanted out earlier?

We (the fans) wanted Ball to go around 1 last year regardless.

He was pushed but also his back needed surgery so would of missed pre-season and was told he would spend most the year in the 2nds due to the youth pushing through.

So he changed his mind with the knowledge he wouldn't get much senior action.

Mate, your coach is an absolute *******, he yet again acted inappropriately. He has a history of acting inappropriately. He obviously lacks maturity, that is behaiving appropriately in the social circumstances. If someone lack maturity then they lack proper leadership too. Leppa will fail as a coach because of his flaws as a human being.

Good luch having a ****head of a coach who tweets and trolls on social media being your coach. :thumbsu:

I think you should leave now...

...before I tell you to &$#% off troll!

Ummm... That's exactly my point, I didn't contradict myself and I'm not sure how you seemed to read that into my comment. All of your KPP's are too young and pretty average, they will take years of development to get anywhere near the required level (if they ever get there).
Yet you KPP's are awesome are they I'd say yours are pretty average also but ours are younger

If he had simply come out and said they won't be traded, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. No one had a problem with his simple tweet that "Reddo wasn't going anywhere". That was simple and effective and not inflammatory in any way.

"Kids will not be traded." I've answered the rest elsewhere.

Yes. Very publicly as well which makes it even more important not to bring anything into the public arena as it could jeopardise the M&A deal. Even if a rumoured takeover is wrong in the media you leave that well alone on social media and rely on official public statements. Imagine if every professional negotiation started being played out in public on social media.

In this case the professional negotiation wasn't being played out. The negotiations had moved past Aish and Mayes. Collingwood had already been told that Aish and Mayes would not be traded. There had been an official announcement to that effect by Peter Schwab on AFL trade radio and Leppitsch was re-inforcing that, as it appeared that both print media and social media wasn't taking any notice. They did after Leppitsch's tweet.

If he's worried about his players, I'm sure he has better methods of contacting them rather than tweeting it out into public.

The tweet was for the benefit of the public and BL fans. A quick, easy method of communication designed to reach a wide audience, including Brisbane Lions fans and media.

The issue is him accusing us (whoever that is) of trying to destabilise the club.

The media and dare I say it, the persistent members of the footballing public who kept on insisting that Aish and Mayes would be traded, or no deal would be done. This for whatever reason was influencing the print media who seemed to delight in repeating every half baked rumour put about by fans with supposedly inside "sources".

So why should a professional AFL coach care so much about media speculation and the media? Is he going to descend into a twitter war over every rumour that arises during the trade period? If it wouldn't have made any difference to the trade negotiations, why raise it publicly at all?

Clearly he felt a need to assuage the anxieties of the Brisbane Lions fans who had to read this rubbish day after day in print and on social media. That's why he prefaced his main message with "BL fans".

Good luch having a ****head of a coach who tweets and trolls on social media being your coach. :thumbsu:

it seems to be working so far...two A-grade mids have signed up this off-season...one of them AA!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it is ambiguous.

Only to one set of supporters.

Clearly he shouldn't be using the captain of the club he is negotiating with as an example. If he is so childish that he needs to rant at the media (who are just being their usual selves) on twitter, he could have used 'Did you hear that we bringing Fevola back. Its that easy'. Instead he used the example of Collingwood's captain wanting out, when his club is negotiating to get Collingwood's second best player at the club, when supporters from Collingwood are nervous about the situation, and when the media is all ears out for rumour and innuendo.

The vey fact that the media didn't subsequently write media pieces about Pendlebury wanting out of Collingwood based on what Leppitsch tweeted, meant that they knew exactly what he was saying about how easy it is to start and spread unfounded rumours.

I'm pretty sure having no success on field and being incapable of growth off field since the end of the AFL concessions (tailored to offer your club success) is a sign of failure.

Well, the Lions did make finals in 2009 (won one of them too), after a four year absence and then had to cope with the establishment of a second AFL club in rugby league heartland, That did set the club back a little, especially given that their supporter base was curtailed and they had to compete more strongly for the corporate dollar in the Queensland market, not to mention not being able to access much of the available Queensland talent as well as battling with a weakened position in the draft. It's not surprising that Lions memberships decreased by 28% in 2011 - the first year of the Gold Coast Suns.

Then of course Brisbane was the only one of the four northern clubs without a salary cap bonus.

Done reasonably well considering.

In the corporate world, without the help of the ever-caring AFL, you'd be gone.

But this isn't the corporate world and the Lions aren't gone. Indeed the Club appears to be on the up.

There's a couple of things that should be remembered about Brisbane's current situation.

Brisbane's deal at the Gabba is expensive - with fixed costs - when the club is losing games and not attracting crowds or filling functions, but the Gabba can become quite profitable when the club is winning and brings in stronger attendances and match-day revenues. While all clubs suffer financially for poor on-field results, the Lions are particularly reliant on winning games.

Brisbane must pay 95% of the salary cap irrespective of their financial status. They only brought their cap up to 95% this year by front-loading existing player contracts and paying off some of the 2015 payments to players in 2014. What they can cut is off-field costs. For 2015, the Lions are budgeting to spend only about $7.3m outside player payments - more than $2 million below the new $9.5 million cap on football department spending. This is significantly less than smaller Victorian clubs are planning to spend next year, with each expected to exceed $8 million. They probably have the lowest football spending in the competition.

Both of the above are predicted to improve in 2015 and beyond. Far from a 'failure' of a club.

"Kids will not be traded." I've answered the rest elsewhere.

In this case the professional negotiation wasn't being played out. The negotiations had moved past Aish and Mayes. Collingwood had already been told that Aish and Mayes would not be traded. There had been an official announcement to that effect by Peter Schwab on AFL trade radio and Leppitsch was re-inforcing that, as it appeared that both print media and social media wasn't taking any notice. They did after Leppitsch's tweet.

The tweet was for the benefit of the public and BL fans. A quick, easy method of communication designed to reach a wide audience, including Brisbane Lions fans and media.

The media and dare I say it, the persistent members of the footballing public who kept on insisting that Aish and Mayes would be traded, or no deal would be done. This for whatever reason was influencing the print media who seemed to delight in repeating every half baked rumour put about by fans with supposedly inside "sources".

Clearly he felt a need to assuage the anxieties of the Brisbane Lions fans who had to read this rubbish day after day in print and on social media. That's why he prefaced his main message with "BL fans".

Yes so why wasn't his tweet a simple "Kids will not be traded". In which case no one would have a problem with it. Instead, he goes on a twitter rant about mysterious people who have "plans to destabilise" us. That's the unprofessional part. If he felt such a need to quash media speculation, why didn't he just say they won't be traded? Is he that paranoid about fan and media speculation that he thinks everyone is out to get him and the club? It's obvious he's just trying to score cheap browny points by inciting an "us against them" attitude and making cheap jokes about the opposition. I don't think you'll find any other professional coaches or any professionals for that matter doing that on social media when you're supposed to be the public face of the organisation.

Yes so why wasn't his tweet a simple "Kids will not be traded".

Because he had other things to say about the spreading of unfounded half baked rumours, despite official club pronoucements.

In which case no one would have a problem with it.

Most don't have a problem with it. There's only a few making a big deal about it. Manufactured outrage by those with an agenda.

Instead, he goes on a twitter rant about mysterious people who have "plans to destabilise" us. That's the unprofessional part. If he felt such a need to quash media speculation, why didn't he just say they won't be traded?

I've answered this.

Is he that paranoid about fan and media speculation that he thinks everyone is out to get him and the club?

Paranoid? No, I would say frustrated. I guess it's a little bit like people who persist with their trade rumours here without any evidence whatsoever. You know...James Aish will return to Adelaide....well because...he's from Adelaide. That's it. That's their evidence.

It's obvious he's just trying to score cheap browny points by inciting an "us against them" attitude and making cheap jokes about the opposition.

A cheap joke? As I have said it was a comment on how unfounded rumours get started easily without much effort.

I don't think you'll find any other professional coaches or any professionals for that matter doing that on social media when you're supposed to be the public face of the organisation.

Oh of course not. Never happens....certainly not at Collingwood.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-coach-nathan-buckley-laughs-off-twitter-spat-with-kevin-sheedy/story-fni5f6hd-1226973485709?nk=

Last edited:
1. Brisbane young players are on par, if not better than GC and GWS
2. There is no internal issues at Brisbane i.e Lumumba leaving, Beams Leaving, highly respected figures (Luke Ball) being delisted, Buckley being disliked.
3. Ladder positions last season doesn't mean sh!t. One team is on the rise, the other is in freefall
4. Players actually want to be at Brisbane
5. Brisbane recruiting over the last 3-4 years has been solid (Martin, Christensen, Beams) Collingwoods has been pathetic (Lynch, Young, White, Armstrong)
6. If you want to look at previous results, Brisbane beat Collingwood by about 12 goals last time they played
Lel, 5 players left just last year. I suppose because Beams wants in though everything is rosy?

I can't believe people are still going in about Leppa's tweets. Has the comp gotten so sanitized? Was clearly tongue in cheek and its embarrassing to see how many people got their panties in a twist.

Top post.

Justin was clearly irritated by the baseless Aish rumours that we're going around in that 24 hour period and wanted to knock them on the head and did so in a pretty lighthearted way by referencing how easy it is to start a rumour.

I couldn't believe the emotive reaction it got. To the point where it became avatar worthy.

I think some people just had a general level of simmering outrage and that tweet gave them something to aim it at, even if that meant taking it out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back