D1 Division 1 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

What a great round of match-ups we have this weekend - should be some cracking games of footy.

UHSVU v Ivanhoe - Unfortunately, the Uni look to be going to well for us at the moment and we are really looking forward to a couple of players back at some stage ......in 2024 :)

Prahran v WB - this will be a cracking game and if at West I would pick them, but as it's not the coin toss sits with the two blues.

Old Peninsula v Oakleigh - Oakleigh have smashed us on both occasions and are a BIG, physical unit with great goal kicking ability. That said, OP have a great mid-field and fast free running set up that when it moves the ball quickly are very hard to handle. Another flip and with limited confidence I'll choose the Krushers.

Kew v Glen Eira - Kew at Kew always hard to beat, especially after a loss last week. But the combine have done everything right so far this season and continue to be the team to beat in season 2023.

Preston v Therry -the bullants looked like pulling off a surprise early last week, but then Uni reeled them in. Therry though were very impressive in a 5 goal win over Kew and look to be stringing some games together to surge in the second half of the season. Three in a row for the Penola crew and potentially sitting in the top four by 5.00pm Saturday night.

Have a great weekend of footy all.

Chump :trophy:

Few big results yesterday with Glen Eira and UHS having big wins. But how’s Preston winning their first game of the year against Therry, you can’t not feel happy for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few big results yesterday with Glen Eira and UHS having big wins. But how’s Preston winning their first game of the year against Therry, you can’t not feel happy for them.

Absolutely! Stoked that they won’t go through the season without a win, you never want to see that. Bad timing for Therry, could have been a game clear in 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed Mappa - as has been discussed within our club, a lot has changed within the VAFA over the past 20 - 30 years, especially the number of teams fielded by the larger clubs. We have some other circumstances that impact our club that are also more prevalent than 20 - 30 years ago, as such the feeling is the club should look at everything with an understanding of the now and future, rather than just the historical relationship with the VAFA. I doubt we are the only club exploring options!

Your other point about the Northern and how it is viewed locally is also a key thing not to be overlooked. It is not the same competition or seeing the issues it was in years gone by. So much so that we have loads of kids from our affiliated junior team VERY happy to play for several clubs within the NFNL these days, whereas years ago the mention of that to a junior parent was seen as outrageous.

Simply, times have changed and so clubs need to look at everything, so I am happy our committee is doing that.

After the hierarchy of a footy club has completed due diligence in exploring the merits or otherwise of moving competitions, thought should be given as to whom is entitled to vote on such an important issue.

Clubs that have or have had canny committees have ensured that voting on such an important issue should not be with the current playing group as most current players are here today and within the next seven or eight years a new batch is wearing the guernsey, and saddled with the aftermath of the decision made a few years earlier.

Such astute and careful clubs have made a committee decision or have enshrined in their constitutions that players who have had five years with the club, life members, current committee members and large sponsors are tasked with such an important decision.

Should my club have allowed all players to vote on the same issue in 1982, it would have remained in the WSFL, a league going nowhere and soon to be subsumed into the WRFL which saw six former WSFL clubs collapse due to financial pressures following the takeover.

The Williamstown CYMS has now been with the Amateurs for almost 40 years, the only and lonely westside club and happy to fly the flag for the Ammos.

Agreed Mappa - as has been discussed within our club, a lot has changed within the VAFA over the past 20 - 30 years, especially the number of teams fielded by the larger clubs. We have some other circumstances that impact our club that are also more prevalent than 20 - 30 years ago, as such the feeling is the club should look at everything with an understanding of the now and future, rather than just the historical relationship with the VAFA. I doubt we are the only club exploring options!

Your other point about the Northern and how it is viewed locally is also a key thing not to be overlooked. It is not the same competition or seeing the issues it was in years gone by. So much so that we have loads of kids from our affiliated junior team VERY happy to play for several clubs within the NFNL these days, whereas years ago the mention of that to a junior parent was seen as outrageous.

Simply, times have changed and so clubs need to look at everything, so I am happy our committee is doing that.

Have a look at clubs like Banyule and the Eltham turtles who are now thriving in the NFL . Banyule especially have a really strong junior program which will have a flow on effect for years to come. I dare say that a few of these juniors would be playing for IAFC if they were a part of the NFL
The NFL isn't what is used to be like and it's reputation is getting a lot better than the draconian days of the 70/80s.
Even better , the travel time for parents of these junior players would dramatically improve. Current destinations of northcote , nth balwyn , macleod , greensborough certainly provide better ammunition to vote for a move.
Lastly , would be nice to head down to Hoe Park and have a quiet beer and watch some footy. The fact that you can't do that at the moment is keeping a lot of the old boys away.
Good luck if rumours are correct and the move is imminent

Last edited:
GE v Uhs-Vu - Uni very, very good last week against us and will push the combine all the way you would think. But at home the GE to get the points..
Ivanhoe v Prahran - the blues are starting to get rolling and I dont think our current squad (that we can get on the park) will be enough to stop them this week.
Preston v OP - great will by the Bullants last week and they will be up and about, but OP will not let this slip as they stay in the hunt for fourth spot.
West v Therry - this will be a great match with so much riding on the result. A win for West and you would think that is enough to not be in the relegation conversation any longer. Therry looking to stay in the hunt for finals action. West at home for me.
Oakleigh v Kew - another great match up. Flip! I think the Krushers will get is done at home.

Have a great weekend all.

Have a look at clubs like Banyule and the Eltham turtles who are now thriving in the NFL . Banyule especially have a really strong junior program which will have a flow on effect for years to come. I dare say that a few of these juniors would be playing for IAFC if they were a part of the NFL
The NFL isn't what is used to be like and it's reputation is getting a lot better than the draconian days of the 70/80s.
Even better , the travel time for parents of these junior players would dramatically improve. Current destinations of northcote , nth balwyn , macleod , greensborough certainly provide better ammunition to vote for a move.
Lastly , would be nice to head down to Hoe Park and have a quiet beer and watch some footy. The fact that you can't do that at the moment is keeping a lot of the old boys away.
Good luck if rumours are correct and the move is imminent
Banyule have always had a strong independent junior program.
if Banyule was in Div 3, IAFC wouldn’t be losing players they have lost to BCC. These player leave, because theirVFL clubs insist they play Div 1, nothing really anything to do with the NFL.

Grog may bring an extra 20-30 spectators. It’s no panacea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back