Autopsy Geelong lose to WC by 9 points at Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it doesn’t. The best teams almost always get to the Grand Final and the premier almost always comes from within the top four. The Dogs in 2016 were the one team who was “hot in that small window of time”. One occurrence in a couple of decades. And even then, they had to travel interstate twice to do it.

Surely the 'minor' premier is the team that has proven themselves 'the better, stronger, more durable side' —that is, the best-performed team over 22 games and six months, not over 2-3 knock-out games in one month. Yet in the AFL era, the minor premier has a less than 50% chance of winning the premiership. In the VFL era, it was slightly better than 50%.

You mention the Dogs, but neglect West Coast in 2018. They won that premiership because Richmond had one bad day the week before. They got to the grand final because they did not need to leave WA. So there is two in the last four years. And we can go on. Hawthorn was not a better or more durable team in 2008; they just had a better Grand Final. Sydney was not the better or more durable team in 2012; they also had a better Grand Final. V/AFL history is littered with the best team of the year not winning the flag.

As I said, if you want the 'the better, stronger, more durable side' to win, then surely a short footy-carnival at the end wouldn't be used a decider. Finals introduce a chance element—that makes them (sometimes) exciting events, but it doesn't always reward performance throughout the season.

Not really. After a gruelling six months, half the competition goes into a short four-week carnival called 'the finals'. The venue, injury list, and who happens to be hot in that small window of time decides which side wins. It's a bit like awarding the English Premier League Championship to the FA cup winner.

If you want the 'better, stronger, more durable side to win' then the flag would go to the team on top of the ladder at the end of the H and A season.

Yeah - totally agree

You only have to look at the EPL this year - Liverpool finish on top with 99 points - 4th place Chelsea finish with 66 pts - a whopping 33 pts in arrears - but under the AFL system - they are "level " and meet in a qualifying final

Then if the Scousers win that - they advance to a knockout - sudden death prelim - which is an utter joke ( no wonder HAW and Geel ) have had mighty scares in prelims )

You want the best winner - everyone plays everyone once - or better still twice home and away ( but that isnt possible in AFL because season would go to long )

Surely the 'minor' premier is the team that has proven themselves 'the better, stronger, more durable side' —that is, the best-performed team over 22 games and six months, not over 2-3 knock-out games in one month. Yet in the AFL era, the minor premier has a less than 50% chance of winning the premiership. In the VFL era, it was slightly better than 50%.

You mention the Dogs, but neglect West Coast in 2018. They won that premiership because Richmond had one bad day the week before. They got to the grand final because they did not need to leave WA. So there is two in the last four years. And we can go on. Hawthorn was not a better or more durable team in 2008; they just had a better Grand Final. Sydney was not the better or more durable team in 2012; they also had a better Grand Final. V/AFL history is littered with the best team of the year not winning the flag.

As I said, if you want the 'the better, stronger, more durable side' to win, then surely a short footy-carnival at the end wouldn't be used a decider. Finals introduce a chance element—that makes them (sometimes) exciting events, but it doesn't always reward performance throughout the season.

It's fun repeating myself, it really is.

I haven't said once the best team wins it; I have said that almost all of the time the best teams do.

My argument was the best teams - plural - and eventual premiers almost always come from within the top 4. Therefore not lucky winners. West Coast finished 2nd after home and away in 2018, and the Dogs finished 7th. See the difference?

Is there a guarantee the minor premier wins the flag? Of course not, and there shouldn't be. But the finals system - as imperfect as it is - seems to do a pretty good job of winnowing out chance winners. It's happened once in over 20 years.

It’s fun repeating myself, it really is.

I haven't said once the best team wins it; I have said that almost all of the time the best teams do.

My argument was the best teams - plural - and eventual premiers almost always come from within the top 4. Therefore not lucky winners. West Coast finished 2nd after home and away in 2018, and the Dogs finished 7th. See the difference?

Is there a guarantee the minor premier wins the flag? Of course not, and there shouldn't be. But the finals system - as imperfect as it is - seems to do a pretty good job of winnowing out chance winners. It's happened once in over 20 years.
You do love the sound of your own voice so it means sense

Go Catters

Ps - I’m just s**t stirring and fully expect to get shot at by the old man on his porch yelling get off my lawn.

Thats a one off game. If nic nat had hit out to advantage stats like that whenever he gets 30 hit outs a game he would of won a couple of brownlows by now. But he hasnt.
he has been significantly hampered by injuries, but that's 2/2 consecutive games.

Yeah - totally agree

You only have to look at the EPL this year - Liverpool finish on top with 99 points - 4th place Chelsea finish with 66 pts - a whopping 33 pts in arrears - but under the AFL system - they are "level " and meet in a qualifying final

Then if the Scousers win that - they advance to a knockout - sudden death prelim - which is an utter joke ( no wonder HAW and Geel ) have had mighty scares in prelims )

You want the best winner - everyone plays everyone once - or better still twice home and away ( but that isnt possible in AFL because season would go to long )
For who?
It's only because we have allowed it to be a 22 week unfair competition, but if equity, fairness and transparency were important issues, we would have a 34 week comp, with 18 teams, and the lists to accommodate that.

I just watched the Guthrie mark and play on. I think it was a little harsh / unlucky. You could tell he wanted to play on but really didn’t take a step apart from a momentum step from landing. Then he was tackled just before the umpire calls play on. He possibly should have been called back to take his kick. Or is that too one-eyed?
A WA crowd pleasing decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back