Autopsy Geelong loses to Doggies by 16 points // Rd 16 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry hasn’t developed like I would have expected this year. He has gone a bit backwards if anything. Pretty poor this year.
I think that’s harsh. Still needs to improve one on one but his intercept marking has improved and he is still outstanding in congestion,

The most annoying thing about Guthrie for me is the faux though guy dumb s**t he does.. That free kick he gave away for shoving the bloke in the back.

Just needless and dumb, proves nothing and costs the side. You want to be tough then put your head over the ball, not try cheap shoves and pushes after the play has stopped
I feel dirty defending guth, but to be fair he was pushed in the back first. But of course the umpire disregarded that and paid the 2nd push from guthrie. Umpiring was garbage all night.

Any danger our match committee can select an actual marking target to replace esava? Ffs. With hawk down there is no one there to kick it to.

If esava doesn’t come back this week get kreuger or buzza in.

It’s absolutely ridiculous bringing in another defender when our forward line has one marking target, who is clearly off his game atm. What’s going on with hawkins?
My guess. No second forward target. Hasn’t been the same without Sav.

I would like to know too, Guthrie just doesn't exceed in any way. Even in the stats where he looks to be performing well (clearances / tackles), it doesn't take much digging to see just how effective he is / isn't in reality.

I don't agree in CS not being fearful in dropping Guthrie. I think Guthrie is an emotional player / person - a confidence player, I think CS protects him to an extent. Not sure why, maybe he thinks dropping would be to Cam's detriment? I mean, why start giving Guthrie fewer minutes now? If he's doing what he should, I'd expect Guthrie to be out on the ground as much as the other mids. We've seen CS try Guthrie all over the ground over the years too, back, forward, wing, etc. It's the same situation every time - as soon as the side starts struggling, Guthrie is removed from the midfield. It's happened for years. When we're winning, CS loves hiding him in there.. why? I don't know. He's simply always been our worst performing mid, period!
There has to be one. And he's not always a mid.
Heavy training load keeps getting mentioned, maybe his minutes are predetermined by the fitness staff somewhat.

Port needed that; they are very talented and have been fickle, whilst we have been overachieving. 11-1 is a mighty achievement, sets up the season so that we can afford pressure valve release losses like we are having now.

Agree we've overachieved massively, but it doesn't give certain players a free pass to underperform. If they're out of form, they can recapture that form in the VFL

Agree we've overachieved massively, but it doesn't give certain players a free pass to underperform. If they're out of form, they can recapture that form in the VFL
but it's pretty global- would you drop all of Duncan, Guthrie, Toohey, Henry, Atkins, Fog, Rohan, Stanley, O'Connor? This week, all down, (except Stanley) but not every week. How reactive should we be?

training load is heavy at the moment.
pepe_meme'd.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the worry is sides have worked us out... And that isn't unheard of.. Often under Scott we have started the year doing something different and have started the year well, only to drop away when worked out.

The positive though is that all the loses have been close games we could have won.. So not much needs to change or be adjusted to turn the results around.

I still don't know if we can do it though.. Early in the year I thought we can win the flag, now I'm doubting it.. Our inability to cope with pressure really is a worry

We bring pressure upon ourselves the way we play.. earlier in the year we played a tempo game... now I think the tempo is playing us... I loved it when we were efficent , kick straight , making the most of our chances ..but now Im thinking that just makeuped over the pockmarks .. the slowness of play down back.. that everyone knows thats what we will do.. seems to only make it easier for the backline and stress beyond the ability to bear it forward of centre.

I dont like that when things do start to go bad ..there seems few players who can turn it round .. we tend to go even more conservative. .. yet if we hit targets by hand and foot ..take some more marks in goal scoring position .. it probably makes up for a lot of this. .. as long as we kick straight.

Unless we get back to be aggressive and offensive I think it may be just another year where CS adheres to the mandate if only we do this or that we will be fine... and fail to take into account that too often in recent years we have been unable to cope when our opponent prevents from doing what we want to do .. mostly in games it counts at the business end...

Both Dogs and Cats had chances and missed shots but by games end it was the Dogs who put their foot down and we couldn't go with them..

Can see Scooter and Parsons coming in this week, maybe to replace Fog and Atkins. Please don’t shoot me down but I really don’t see anything in Fog I like, Constable, Narkle, and even Simpson would offer more to the team. There needs to be changes.

Is it just me or do others think the coach didn't appear too perturbed at the loss in the post match presser?
As both he and Tuohy said, it's not doomsday yet.
Also the point about losing Kolo, who is about our best defender, if not player, this year was big, and not mentioned much. They would have like Taylor a bit more to help out Hawk, but had to react to no Kolo.
At least it looks like Sav back for Saints.

Can see Scooter and Parsons coming in this week, maybe to replace Fog and Atkins. Please don’t shoot me down but I really don’t see anything in Fog I like, Constable, Narkle, and even Simpson would offer more to the team. There needs to be changes.

I'm thinking Scooter & Parfitt - no reason why Parfitt doesn't return unless he's injured or there's something else going on for him to be a late withdrawal before last nights game

We bring pressure upon ourselves the way we play.. earlier in the year we played a tempo game... now I think the tempo is playing us... I loved it when we were efficent , kick straight , making the most of our chances ..but now Im thinking that just makeuped over the pockmarks .. the slowness of play down back.. that everyone knows thats what we will do.. seems to only make it easier for the backline and stress beyond the ability to bear it forward of centre.

I dont like that when things do start to go bad ..there seems few players who can turn it round .. we tend to go even more conservative. .. yet if we hit targets by hand and foot ..take some more marks in goal scoring position .. it probably makes up for a lot of this. .. as long as we kick straight.

Unless we get back to be aggressive and offensive I think it may be just another year where CS adheres to the mandate if only we do this or that we will be fine... and fail to take into account that too often in recent years we have been unable to cope when our opponent prevents from doing what we want to do .. mostly in games it counts at the business end...

Both Dogs and Cats had chances and missed shots but by games end it was the Dogs who put their foot down and we couldn't go with them..
All true, just one game in 22. We are bound to lose more games this year. All we need to do is, imho, make sure we have our best 22 players available and in form after the prefinals bye. And that includes Sav.
We have opportunity to manage players' loads, more than some other teams do.

I'm thinking Scooter & Parfitt - no reason why Parfitt doesn't return unless he's injured or there's something else going on for him to be a late withdrawal before last nights game
Sav is coming back- there's a key in. Parfitt will be back. Who gets managed, who gets dropped?
Who needs time out? We are not to know until Saturday when we see the actual squad.

Sav is coming back- there's a key in. Parfitt will be back. Who gets managed, who gets dropped?
Who needs time out? We are not to know until Saturday when we see the actual squad.

All eyes will be on Kolo - how does he pull up from the concussion because he'll be a big loss if he misses.

If Kolo is out, then it makes bringing Sav back in easier as we get our balance with defenders back on par rather than playing Henry forward as we have tried the last couple of weeks. But if Kolo is ok, then the club needs to make the call to drop a defender back to the VFL - Henry, O'Connor, Tuohy or Bews would be the ones at risk; I can't see Stewart, Blicavs, Kolo or Taylor being dropped/omitted (managed or injured only way I see one of them missing a match).

Last edited:
All true, just one game in 22. We are bound to lose more games this year. All we need to do is, imho, make sure we have our best 22 players available and in form after the prefinals bye. And that includes Sav.
We have opportunity to manage players' loads, more than some other teams do.

I think there have been multiple games where we have done this style this year but got away with it.. too many times we rate our perfromance on W and L ... how many times we are lucky to escape a club just not shooting the lights out with their scoring... I certainly think the last 4 week since the focus on our inbound ball was highlighted we have looked far more like last year.

Having our best players available when it counts will help.. Having them in form will help. Having us play a style that puts pressure on opponents and less on our our players would help.

Am I more convince or less convinced we have the game style to handle finals pressure after the last 4 weeks? Less. Are we now playing a style that suits the G better ..maybe ..but if the players can not standup to stressfull skill performance better than we have in the past .. then we will fall like a thrill seeker on the end of a snapped bungie rope... again.

This week V Saints will be another week that tells us very little.. unless we lose.

Cats players have been involved i heavy training at the moment. Just to let you all know.
All sides who know they're going to play finals put their squads through a heavy training period around this time, so by the time the finals arrive the team is at their peak fitness and hopefully ability. This often results in a few unexpected losses to teams that should normally be beaten. It happens most seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back