Roast Gerard Whateley’s Rant on AFL360 (22/08/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t Gerard relatively satisfied that the Saints has to move Richo on? A bloke who did a solid job at the Saints with probably a league-worst list? Get f’ed Gerard.

Was all-in on Freo sacking Ros because the man who took the Dokers to their one and only GF could be a bit shirty.

Can someone hazard a guess to the following please..

Should we finish tenth this year what are our National Draft picks likely to be?

In a world where Ken really played the kids and focuses on development to a degree that everyone assumes he has, we pump a further 15+ games into,

• Frampton/Ladhams (at the expense of 57yo Ryder),
• Marshall (at the expense of 27yo S Gray),
• Farrell (at the expense of 27yo Sutcliffe),
• Drew (at the expense of 29yo Rockliff),
• Garner (at the expense of 531yo Broadbent)
• Howard (at the expense of 2319yo Westhoff)

But, true to type, we can’t ‘bottom out’, so we’ll hang our hats on the three obvious rookies, ignore the fact those guys are 12 months behind where they should be and go into another draft with mid-round picks.

Sign three high profile 27yo free agents on significant money at the end of 2017 who have been complete busts.

Voluntarily relinquish a pair of 25yo midfielders with speed and x-factor for draft picks (with speed and x-factor).

“We have a hole in the middle of our list, you guys!”

It’s like van Gogh complaining that he doesn’t hear too well these days.

In a world where Ken really played the kids and focuses on development to a degree that everyone assumes he has, we pump a further 15+ games into,

But, true to type, we can’t ‘bottom out’, so we’ll hang our hats on the three obvious rookies, ignore the fact those guys are 12 months behind where they should be and go into another draft with mid-round picks.
It's been a con job had he blooded/stuck with Frampton (especially with Dixon out for a huge chunk of the season), Marshall, Farrell ie. a forward structure & played Garner for most of the year over Broadbent etc. I'd probably have less venom.. my suspicion is had we stuck with a forward structure from early in the season we'd be sitting clear in the 8 as we speak.

It's been a con job had he blooded/stuck with Frampton (especially with Dixon out for a huge chunk of the season), Marshall, Farrell ie. a forward structure & played Garner for most of the year over Broadbent etc. I'd probably have less venom.. my suspicion is had we stuck with a forward structure from early in the season we'd be sitting clear in the 8 as we speak.

If we had actually played the kids, my impression is that we would either be EXACTLY where we are or BETTER...

If we had actually played the kids, my impression is that we would either be EXACTLY where we are or BETTER...
You can add in giving Drew & Atley more of a shot than Rocky running on the spot.. there's holes everywhere in this youth argument.

Bingo.

We’re trapped in limbo. Not contending. Not rebuilding.

But we’re told we’re delusional for expecting an ageing team to make the eight while there’s still petrol in the tank (Boak best ever year, Gray winning a Showdown Medal every other week).

😂

Some of the best inputs in this thread have been by opposition supporters. That’s when you know you’ve reached pity levels.
Don't think it's pity. The fact opposition supporters feel compelled to post on here is a reflection on the unreasonable rant from whately, that sanctimonious dickweed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are about to hand a debut to rookie list small forward Jake Aarts in a top of the table clash with Brisbane.

We’re about to hand Trent McKenzie a farewell game.

#sorebuild #muchyoung
That long bomb over Allan Scott HQ though Ahh thanks for the memories Trent.

The NRL was on so i missed it.
Night before the Dallas pre season game replay.
Night before that The Raiders game.

360 Is starting to be as about as compellingly to watch as Sam Newman on the Footy Show.

When the coach is under pressure to perform the media usually goes hard on them (see Lyon, Richardson etc). 4 or more years of not making finals and they were out. When the spotlight is on Hinkley now, suddenly the media just defends him. Hmmm something is rotten in the state of Denmark. I know this is grasping at straws but wouldn't be surprised that the media got paid to spin this like crazy. Or Whateley is just simply Ken's mate.

Just gutted for you guys as clubs like Brisbane and Richmond have overtaken you despite having a very good list. Should be where they are at the moment. Hinkley is certainly doing less with more. Hinkley sitting on some beach chair in a 2015 pre season game told a 1000 words.

Outstanding post Dinosaur. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

You should send this in as an email to Whateley to read on his shows next week - both AFL 360 and his radio program for next Monday - he takes Friday off on both shows.

Better still, ring him up and tell him your story and say why if being second rate and middle table mediocrity isn't what Ronald Dale Barassi expects from Port Adelaide, why should every Port Adelaide support accept it.

I would also send a copy to KT. It might help illustrate that which those of us who claim to be the true believers feel we have lost over the past decade. The sad thing is the acceptance of mediocrity isn't just an external thing, there are those at Alberton who will also mark this year as a 'pass'.

When we entered the AFL 'we expect to win' was our catch phrase now it is, we expect to finish ninth.

Counter argument: This is the warped assessment of a sycophant who is obsessed to the point of fetishism with the Geelong teams of 2007-11, and has unshakeable belief in the aura of infallibility their legacy casts over anyone who was a part of those teams, be they player, coach, or Frank Costa's wet nurse. Can't be Ken's fault because Ken was at Ghellhong.

Even if Whateley was right about this, which he is not, that's not Hinkley's Geelong. Hinkley's Geelong is the side who couldn't get it done even with one of the greatest ever players in Gary Ablett (incidentally, a player whose talents Whateley, along with much of the footballing public, believes supersede in some way the fact that he murdered a teenager).
When ex geelong players start talking about the PEDs that they were on in 2007, he will refuse to believe it.

He's so far up himself it's repulsive.

That was cheerleading, not journalism

He’s right.

We have the 4th youngest list, we have the 3rd most exciting U23 list, we’ve played 3 kids almost all year, we have produced some of the best footy of the year. We have effectively rebuilt the list without ever dropping below mid table. There would be 15 clubs that would swap positions with us today.
We haven't completely rebuilt the list yet, but you are right and we are well on the way. Decisions made at the end of last year are the sorts of decisions made when you realize the current list wont get you there and need to reset - and I'm somewhat surprised that people don't see this. In fact decisions made in the preceding 2 seasons also point i the same direction (including bringing in free agents) which allows us to trade out players for meaningful picks. I'd imagine further action this off season.

We are at the beginning of the wave whether we keep Ken or not. We have a situation where the incumbent has one season to take the 4th youngest list into the top 8, or he knows and you know the marriage is ended. It’s a win either way.

Yep.

Stopping soon at an AFL media outlet near you. All aboard!

5A9q08V.jpg
I want Alyx to do this with Keith, Koch, Kane, Vanstone, Rucci, Whately lined up behind him.

Last edited:
I would also send a copy to KT. It might help illustrate that which those of us who claim to be the true believers feel we have lost over the past decade. The sad thing is the acceptance of mediocrity isn't just an external thing, there are those at Alberton who will also mark this year as a 'pass'.

When we entered the AFL 'we expect to win' was our catch phrase now it is, we expect to finish ninth.

This is why the pressure to get rid of Ken is deafening from the supporter base, because we have a muppet AFL installed board - who back in the day would never had extended Kens contract.

They are putting corporate politics and games ahead of whatever makes us successful.

KT will go first, maybe he is too much Norwood, but he's also a nice happy servant to the board and AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back