Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAJ and Devon Smith are the two players that we need to be targeting and I reckon that we're a good chance to get both as well, but certainly one of them at least.

I'm not sure that there are many clubs that couldn't use another A grade mid capable of kicking goals but last year we were number 1 for inside 50 differentials which is the best measure to use when determining the strength of a teams midfield. Sure, the delivery could have been better but I don't expect one player to come in and solve that issue on his own in any case. Our real problem is up forward. A lack of support for Hawk but also particularly when the ball hits the deck as well.
What would we have to give up to get both players?

GAJ and Devon Smith are the two players that we need to be targeting and I reckon that we're a good chance to get both as well, but certainly one of them at least.

I'm not sure that there are many clubs that couldn't use another A grade mid capable of kicking goals but last year we were number 1 for inside 50 differentials which is the best measure to use when determining the strength of a teams midfield. Sure, the delivery could have been better but I don't expect one player to come in and solve that issue on his own in any case. Our real problem is up forward. A lack of support for Hawk but also particularly when the ball hits the deck as well.
yep your both right about Pittard. You're certainly right about Smith too. He is the type of player we really need. A lot.
Gaz would be handy up forward too.
We could go from having no small forwards to having a gun forward line in one year.

Ha ha. Man we dodged a bullet with Boak.
Had one decent year. Worst captain now. Always goes missing when needed or shanks a kick. So overrated.

Fair - but I notice Hartlett is playing back ATM and was on the outs at PA last year...

Just saying.

GO Catters

I don't think that GAJ is going to cost that much trade wise. His salary will be the bigger issue. For Devon Smith it will be all about points IMO. For the first time in a long time GWS will need them and we should be able to satisfy them without too much trouble. 2 2nd rounders should be able to get it done which will be more than achievable from Geelong's POV.

I would probably ballpark it at something like:

Smith: Carlton's second rounder (I expect to be about pick 22) plus a pick between 25-30 (we will probably trade someone out to get this like we did with Caddy). If you add those 2 picks up it's the points equivalent of about pick 8-12.

Ablett: our 3rd rounder or equivalent. At 34 he shouldn't cost more than that particularly if he threatens to retire.

The wildcard will be if Motlop goes and what FA compo pick we get. If he goes on a really good salary we probably get band 2 which is pick 19, if he goes on a lower salary we would get a second rounder which will probably be mid 30s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Jasper Pittard is FA at the end of this year , ex Geelong boy and quick of foot.. I wonder how long it will be before we are linked to him.

I don't mind him and I wouldn't be against Trengove as an FA if we can't come up with a decent 2nd key forward option this year. The problem with either is if we lose Motlop to FA and we take another FA we will get no compo for Motlop, it's only easier for us to take an FA if Motlop stays.

I reckon our mids are good, our key defenders are good and our running defenders are decent if Tuohy has a good year and Thurlow and Stewart play well. We have two issues, we could use some outside wing speed (particularly if Motlop goes) and we need to fix the forward line, Taylor is likely to be a stopgap, unless Black or House have a great year this is the issue. I just don't think there are going to be a lot of good KPF's on the trade/FA market this year, so the decision is do we try and trade/FA for a middling to average (say B to B+ grade) key forward for the structure, or do we try and get some quality small to medium forward players (for example Devon Smith, Ablett will be talked about, Breust is FA etc) and just change the forward structure completely to work around that? I will be interested to see what we do.

It's not Pittard - I can tell you for a fact that there's another (contracted) power player keen to come to Geelong. Whose pace and skill off half back will be a huge asset to the Cats. Will be this player + Gaz JNR.

How young is this contracted player? Didn't Atley play in our VFL side?

Two players traded in.. will be entertaining to watch them get it done.

It's not Pittard - I can tell you for a fact that there's another (contracted) power player keen to come to Geelong. Whose pace and skill off half back will be a huge asset to the Cats. Will be this player + Gaz JNR.

Well if it's contracted then it rules out Pittard as he is RFA. I just hope to goodness it's not Hartless and his overpriced contract.

My guess based on you talking about contracted and half back would be Byrne Jones but they won't be giving him up easily I don't think. Pittard would be an easier get in terms of not costing picks (of which we don't have many).

How young is this contracted player? Didn't Atley play in our VFL side?

Two players traded in.. will be entertaining to watch them get it done.

Atley's an inside mid not a half back.

Their main half backs would be Byrne Jones and Pittard and Broadbent, but Broadbent is probably too old to fit the category of what the poster is talking about.

Their main half backs would be Byrne Jones and Pittard and Broadbent, but Broadbent is probably too old to fit the category of what the poster is talking about.

I know Atley played as an inside mid but who knows. Unlikely we would trade for such a young player anyway. That we would look at a running half back seems a little off anyway , we have other greater needs... but again who knows.

Was wondering if it could be Impey. Hasn't been exclusively half back but has played there.

Was wondering if it could be Impey. Hasn't been exclusively half back but has played there.

Possible. He is currently a small fwd but has played half back before.

Ideally, we get an A-grade midfielder that is good enough to go forward and hit the scoreboard with +30 goals a year. That's what we really need.

Probably only a handful of blokes in the whole league that do that. One that's a free agent in D.Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back