Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Freo... the thing I like about Darcy ..he is combative, he defends, he will puch to prevent getting outmarked, can lead and take a mark, and lick a goal form outside 50 ... and he give the impression he has more footy smarts than some talls on our list.

worries... a dirty big bandage on his knee .. and his weight. Add those two things.. and I do not see him rucking at 30 plus..

He would give our mids a better service than they have had for a while. Be interesting at years end
Mumford is still playing and he’s 65 so there’s always hope.

I sometimes wonder - if he'd somehow ended up with Geelong - how long we would've consigned Dusty to the VFL to learn his defensive game?
If he hadn’t had the same bodyguard/“mentoring” as the tigers did with Choco I doubt he would had lasted anywhere else

We wouldn’t even had a look at him with his character issues in the first place

If he hadn’t had the same bodyguard/“mentoring” as the tigers did with Choco I doubt he would had lasted anywhere else

Yep ..things have change a lot since the days when we paid $60,000 for Haw rejects with character issues

We should be targeting Patrick Lipinski from the Dogs. Looked unreal in the VFL last night, and would add some much needed class to our midfield. Costs nothing too.

Given the off field stuff we've had in the last decade or so I'm amazed people say this with a straight face.

Let me see..........
  • David Johnson (arrested for brawling the week of a Grand final)
  • Mathew Stokes (cocaine possession)
  • Jesse Stringer (arrested for beating up his girlfriend)
  • Dawson Simpson (drink driving)
  • Joel Selwood (caught speeding and cost the club a sponsorship)
And not forgetting.....
  • Mark Thompson (drug possession)

And that's just what we know about.

In reality some things are unfortunate, some are worse. Young men with lots of cash do stupid things. Particularly footballers. Pretending one club is above reproach while others aren't is to me remarkably naive.

We should be targeting Patrick Lipinski from the Dogs. Looked unreal in the VFL last night, and would add some much needed class to our midfield. Costs nothing too.

Not the worst suggestion... 23 and 50 odd games..basically ready to go. When a side brings in players , as the Dogs did with Treloar there will be spillage.

Cost?

Patrick Lipinski
#27 Western Bulldogs
Age: 22yr 9mth Games: 49 Born: July 17, 1998 Origin: Northern Knights
Height: 187cm Weight: 84kg Position: Midfield
Last Drafted: Round 2, Pick #28 2016 National Draft by Western Bulldogs
Supercoach Price: $396,600 Supercoach Profile
AFL Fantasy Price: $537,000 AFL Fantasy Profile
Contract Status: Out of contract at the end of 2021 AFL Player Contracts

Let me see..........
And not forgetting.....

In reality some things are unfortunate, some are worse. Young men with lots of cash do stupid things. Particularly footballers. Pretending one club is above reproach while others aren't is to me remarkably naive.

One can recruit choirboys and all you will get is a group who sings like Sopranos...rather than acting like one.

..but we also do know there are degrees. Some guys are just bad choices ..and most clubs stay clear. Point is Very few clubs bring in obviously bad people and only good people. They mostly look for talent ..then try to work out is there a reason they should not draft them/trade them ..and can they live with that.

Its funny how stories on certain player allow them to get thru to clubs. Darling was a classic. He was rated very early at one stage.

As I mentioned earlier..would we bring in GA Sr now.? Im not sure but I suspect its all rel to how desperate a club would be and how much a club is prepared to back their own system.

Let me see..........
And not forgetting.....

First of all, only two of those incidents occured in the last decade or while at the club.

You are drawing an extremely long bow, but when you start hypothesizing about imaginary transgressions that we don't know about you have lost the plot.

Edit: 3 - the Stringer assault just scrapes in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me see..........
And not forgetting.....

I can add a few more to that but it's better left unsaid. Supporters shouldn't pretend our club doesn't have players with character issues.

I can add a few more to that but it's better left unsaid. Supporters shouldn't pretend our club doesn't have players with character issues.
Agreed. Was very surprised to not see Stevie J amongst that list. Career was on the ropes given all his antics outside the club - before he turned it all around

Not the worst suggestion... 23 and 50 odd games..basically ready to go. When a side brings in players , as the Dogs did with Treloar there will be spillage.

Cost?

Patrick Lipinski
#27 Western Bulldogs
Age: 22yr 9mth Games: 49 Born: July 17, 1998 Origin: Northern Knights
Height: 187cm Weight: 84kg Position: Midfield
Last Drafted: Round 2, Pick #28 2016 National Draft by Western Bulldogs
Supercoach Price: $396,600 Supercoach Profile
AFL Fantasy Price: $537,000 AFL Fantasy Profile
Contract Status: Out of contract at the end of 2021 AFL Player Contracts

Absolute gun and would be an absolute steal for any club that could snare him. With that said, according to a poster on the main board, we've gone 'all chips in' on Merrett (which would not surprise me one bit given, as I've stated before, I think he's a perfect fit) -

Here's the discussion we had:

"Apparently Geelong are having a massive crack at Zerrett. Putting all their eggs into trying get him across (and are in with a big chance, I hear)"

"Still think he stays IMO"

"Pies, Port and Blues out of the running?"

"That's what I have heard. been wrong before though. Down to Essendon and Geelong IMO. If The Dons still struggle, suspect he will leave (much as I now think Cripps will too)"

"Is Merrett and us a gut feel, or is it something more tangible than that?"

"Just some tidbits I heard from some people with pretty decent ITK info"

Decent Carlton poster this one, and this was on a different thread to the Merrett thread, so wasn't bombarded by angry Bombers and Port posters, haha. Like I say at the start, still think he stays...but would not be surprised if we really are chasing him hard, given he would be the perfect replacement for Sel moving forward.

First of all, only two of those incidents occured in the last decade or while at the club.

You are drawing an extremely long bow, but when you start hypothesizing about imaginary transgressions that we don't know about you have lost the plot.

Edit: 3 - the Stringer assault just scrapes in.

Well the initial reference was Dustin Martin who was drafted in 2009. Reckon then to now would be a reasonable timeframe. You could take out David Johnson if it makes you feel more pure.

One can recruit choirboys and all you will get is a group who sings like Sopranos...rather than acting like one.

..but we also do know there are degrees. Some guys are just bad choices ..and most clubs stay clear. Point is Very few clubs bring in obviously bad people and only good people. They mostly look for talent ..then try to work out is there a reason they should not draft them/trade them ..and can they live with that.

Its funny how stories on certain player allow them to get thru to clubs. Darling was a classic. He was rated very early at one stage.

As I mentioned earlier..would we bring in GA Sr now.? Im not sure but I suspect its all rel to how desperate a club would be and how much a club is prepared to back their own system.

Yes. I suspect every club would. No matter what they do if the talent is high enough the club will find a way to justify it (see Hurley, Swan, Marley Williams etc.).

Well the initial reference was Dustin Martin who was drafted in 2009. Reckon then to now would be a reasonable timeframe. You could take out David Johnson if it makes you feel more pure.
No I don't feel pure because of it, I just have pride in our relatively clean record. We are spoken about by players and other clubs as having a good culture. What's your dog in this fight - you want to feel dirty? You want everyone to feel ashamed? Good luck with that.

Absolute gun and would be an absolute steal for any club that could snare him. With that said, according to a poster on the main board, we've gone 'all chips in' on Merrett (which would not surprise me one bit given, as I've stated before, I think he's a perfect fit) -

Here's the discussion we had:

"Apparently Geelong are having a massive crack at Zerrett. Putting all their eggs into trying get him across (and are in with a big chance, I hear)"

"Still think he stays IMO"

"Pies, Port and Blues out of the running?"

"That's what I have heard. been wrong before though. Down to Essendon and Geelong IMO. If The Dons still struggle, suspect he will leave (much as I now think Cripps will too)"

"Is Merrett and us a gut feel, or is it something more tangible than that?"

"Just some tidbits I heard from some people with pretty decent ITK info"

Decent Carlton poster this one, and this was on a different thread to the Merrett thread, so wasn't bombarded by angry Bombers and Port posters, haha. Like I say at the start, still think he stays...but would not be surprised if we really are chasing him hard, given he would be the perfect replacement for Sel moving forward.

As long as Merrit is a FA ... and he can fit within our Sal Cap config. then fine ... it may be the only way we could add a R1 quality player to who we have playing in our best 22 now. A player like Lip would also probably appeal .. one way or the other. 23 and ready to play. I cant say I have really studied either player that closely but just being able to add mid 20's talent that would be immediately best22 would be good step considering the age trend on our list.

Whether we appeal to merrit or whoever is a differnt question. I do not assume that every OOC player will be drooling at the thought of playing for Geelong. We are not the side we were, at some stage I think we will struggle to bring in players... it will return to what were like 20 off years ago where when there were multiple options... we always seemed to just miss out.

Last edited:
As long as Merrit is a FA ... and he can fit within our Sal Cap config. then fine ... it may be the only way we could add a R1 quality player to who we have playing in our best 22 now. A player like Lip would also probably appeal .. one way or the other. 23 and ready to play. I cant say I have really studied either player that closely but just being able to add mid 20's talent that would be immediately best22 would be good step considering the age trend on our list.

Whether we appeal to merrit or whoever is a differnt question. I do not assume that every OOC player will be drooling at the thought of playing for Geelong. We are not the side we were, at some stage I think we will struggle to bring in players... it will return to what were like 20 off years ago where when there were multiple options... we always seemed to just miss out.

I think one thing we have now, that we didn't have 20 years ago, is a sort of post COVID appreciation of the whole work/lifestyle balance, that only really Geelong and then the two Queensland teams can offer. We also still have that good cultural embodiment, alongside being a drawcard for those who want to play in the blockbuster games, but don't want to live in the big city/have as much attention on them.

It's why we're such a point of difference - even if we do slip down the ladder (don't forget Danger came to us when we finished 9th and looked like we were at the end of our flag 'window'), for players looking at changing clubs. Even if we're not successful, players still know that we're always competitive, and we're always a chance at finals - given we've never finished below 12th, and we're always aiming for success - rather than going through endless rebuilds.

While I do agree we might not attract the level of talent that we may of in the past, if we were able to snare Merrett and have both him and Cameron in the side for the next 5-6 years, it would go a long way to acting as a draw card for other players who want that work/lifestyle balance, a spot in the Best 22 and a chance at playing finals in a strong cultural environment.

Not saying it'll happen, but I still think us, Hawks, Swans and WC, all offer that environment/draw, no matter where we sit on the ladder - such is our revered standing within the AFL world

:)

Merrett would be a massive get for the club his ball use could be a game changer and at only 25 still has a lot of footy ahead of him, although a little older adding Merrett and Cameron to replace Hawkins and Selwood would be huge.
I could easily see the bombers match a free agency bid but if they continue on current form they should finish bottom 4 meaning a compo pick should be top 5.

No I don't feel pure because of it, I just have pride in our relatively clean record. We are spoken about by players and other clubs as having a good culture. What's your dog in this fight - you want to feel dirty? You want everyone to feel ashamed? Good luck with that.

Pointing out basic hypocrisy.

No club is perfect, and neither should anyone expect them to be. All things considered all clubs are run pretty well I would have thought.

I think one thing we have now, that we didn't have 20 years ago, is a sort of post COVID appreciation of the whole work/lifestyle balance, that only really Geelong and then the two Queensland teams can offer. We also still have that good cultural embodiment, alongside being a drawcard for those who want to play in the blockbuster games, but don't want to live in the big city/have as much attention on them.

It's why we're such a point of difference - even if we do slip down the ladder (don't forget Danger came to us when we finished 9th and looked like we were at the end of our flag 'window'), for players looking at changing clubs. Even if we're not successful, players still know that we're always competitive, and we're always a chance at finals - given we've never finished below 12th, and we're always aiming for success - rather than going through endless rebuilds.

While I do agree we might not attract the level of talent that we may of in the past, if we were able to snare Merrett and have both him and Cameron in the side for the next 5-6 years, it would go a long way to acting as a draw card for other players who want that work/lifestyle balance, a spot in the Best 22 and a chance at playing finals in a strong cultural environment.

Not saying it'll happen, but I still think us, Hawks, Swans and WC, all offer that environment/draw, no matter where we sit on the ladder - such is our revered standing within the AFL world

:)

Its a good observation... basically its why we have focused on the boomarang falcons... players that are happy to come back ..that know the area. etc. Perhaps also in the past some players like Ottens who were happy to move away from the the big city.

but I think Haw and WC and swans and cats all have a slightly different offering. Haw atm has just about reached the litmus test. Are they in the market for Patton replacement etc.. or do tehy go back to the well. WC is basically the state side ..a fair slab of WA players will always want them. Swans offer the non afl afl experience .. players like Locket and Hall and Buddy all bought into that... still I think in this era of players wanting success ..it would be a test to see how many players they draw if their prospects look dour.

I think Geelong has just about used its 5 years or so that we gained from Danger.. its now back to that period where we need to replenish our best 5 to 10 players. Cameron yes. Higgins and Smith are just stop gap with their best behind them. I think we need 3-4 gun mids now. Have a look at the Dogs if you want a template to compare against. Do they have a mid older than 28?

Pointing out basic hypocrisy.

No club is perfect, and neither should anyone expect them to be. All things considered all clubs are run pretty well I would have thought.
I don't see anyone here saying the club and its culture are perfect. But we are head and shoulders over the likes of West Coast, Essendon, Pies and Carlton. Clubs are not all the same, and neither are their cultures - and I don't think there is anything wrong with having pride in our standards - they have been pretty good in the grand scheme of things. But each to their own, you do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back