Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there an example of kicking a guy out the door that's actually worked?

It ruins the fabric of your club, particularly if they're popular amongst the playing group.

Telling Croad he had to go with McPharlin to get Hodge was probably the closest, but even then, it took 7 years to bear fruit...and they ended up getting him back anyway.

It's already looking like it backfired with Norf and McKay, and that was with a top 3 pick coming back!!

Getting rid of Jenry to pick up the next Cooper Stephens with a teens pick doesn't fill me with excitement whatsoever.

As others have said, if we were bottom 4, you could maybe open a discussion.

As it stands, we won't be, and Jack is still young enough & good enough to be apart of several more premiership campaigns at Geelong.
The closest example I can think of is Frawley going to Hawthorn as a FA.

Melbourne are ok with it because they get pick 3 and pick up Brayshaw along with pick 2 they already had (Petracca) and all of a sudden they're on a path to a premiership.

Albeit it still takes 6 years, and the big difference between that example and us is that instead of getting pick 3, we'd get pick 13 (based on current ladder position, but before and other comp, FS matches bid etc.) It's very unlikely to work in our favour, but there are some examples of it working.

It ruins the fabric of your club, particularly if they're popular amongst the playing group.

Telling Croad he had to go with McPharlin to get Hodge was probably the closest, but even then, it took 7 years to bear fruit...and they ended up getting him back anyway.

It's already looking like it backfired with Norf and McKay, and that was with a top 3 pick coming back!!

Getting rid of Jenry to pick up the next Cooper Stephens with a teens pick doesn't fill me with excitement whatsoever.

As it stands, we won't be, and Jack is still young enough & good enough to be apart of several more premiership campaigns at Geelong.

I did say "if" we finish low enough on the ladder when kicking this all off.

Some people say no... but if it was looking like a pick that could snag a very good young mid (like this year's Sanders) or an elite talent key forward... I reckon most people would start to think about it a bit more.

But yeah... if it was a pick that was in the teens, I don't think it would be worth it.

In saying that, I wouldn't be bending over backwards to keep Henry and paying more than he is worth.

If we offered what we thought was reasonable and North offered much more and Henry walks... So be it.

In the end, I'd think he will stay for less and this talk is just filling space in between games.

If we were near the bottom of the ladder I wouldn't be disappointed if we pulled a McKay/Frawley type move and cashed in on rorting the compo (obviously unlikely).

Everyone has their price. My price would be a single-figure compo pick after bids.

The closest example I can think of is Frawley going to Hawthorn as a FA.

Melbourne are ok with it because they get pick 3 and pick up Brayshaw along with pick 2 they already had (Petracca) and all of a sudden they're on a path to a premiership.

Albeit it still takes 6 years, and the big difference between that example and us is that instead of getting pick 3, we'd get pick 13 (based on current ladder position, but before and other comp, FS matches bid etc.) It's very unlikely to work in our favour, but there are some examples of it working.
I would say that Melbourne at the time didn't really have a culture to lose. They'd just basically sacked the whole board and had the AFL intervene and appoint Roos coach. They were starting again anyway.

If Brisbane miss finals and stay lower on the ladder than us then they may be more reluctant to trade if McCluggage chose to leave
Also the longer he takes to sign the better. Because with Ashcroft coming back they may push McCluggage out to the wing again and he may see a better future elsewhere

I would say that Melbourne at the time didn't really have a culture to lose. They'd just basically sacked the whole board and had the AFL intervene and appoint Roos coach. They were starting again anyway.
Yeah fair. We're nothing like Melbourne were then, or North are now. But I was just pointing out that there are a few examples where a club is pretty happy to let a good player walk if they're going to get good compo.

Even with us, almost no one here was saying we should fight tooth and nail to keep Motlop. Once it became apparent we were going to get a round 1 compo, everyone was pretty ok with letting him walk. I think the point that was trying to be made originally is that everyone has their price.

Yeah fair. We're nothing like Melbourne were then, or North are now. But I was just pointing out that there are a few examples where a club is pretty happy to let a good player walk if they're going to get good compo.

Even with us, almost no one here was saying we should fight tooth and nail to keep Motlop. Once it became apparent we were going to get a round 1 compo, everyone was pretty ok with letting him walk. I think the point that was trying to be made originally is that everyone has their price.
Yeah, but motlop was also pretty happy to leave.

Jack grew up across the road from the stadium and is living his childhood dream.

It should be this way anyway IMO, like the NBA & NFL.

Stop protecting teams and make the clubs accountable for themselves, and don't help them if/when they f**k it up.

That's the only barrier here that would stop this from working, inevitable priority picks & support down the line when it goes wrong.

It's the clubs' decision, we already have a draft system that rewards incompetence.

If you want to punt on your future and it goes wrong, that's your decision, and you have to get yourselves out of it.

Would add an extra element to the game IMO, we'd find out even more who the well run clubs are, and the cream would truly rise to the top in that regard, as it should.
There are restrictions in the NBA on the amount of future first rounders you can trade. It was put in place for the exact same reason as the AFL has a restriction - to save clubs from their own stupidity.

The only way we can get Harley Reid in a trade is if we involve Swans I reckon. My rough idea:

Chad Warner is a WA boy. Is a high end mid/forward, not like for like with Reid, but with some draft picks they might entertain the idea.
Reid is a Cats fan/Vic boy.
COS is from the Murray. Swans need a Key Defender.

Cats send COS + "some picks to Swans"
Swans send Warner + one of the Cats picks to WCE
WCE send Reid to Cats.

What is "some picks" though? We'd be getting off light if it was 2024 2nd rounder + 2025 2nd rounder and potentially some 3rd and 4ths. But it might take a 1st round pick that must be sent to WCE.

The other option is we send one of our plethora of small forwards in the package - probably Mannagh.
I would trade COS + 4 first rounders for Harley Reid.

We forced Moloney out so that we could get the extra first rounder we needed to trade for Ottens.

I reckon that worked out ok

If Brisbane miss finals and stay lower on the ladder than us then they may be more reluctant to trade if McCluggage chose to leave
Also the longer he takes to sign the better. Because with Ashcroft coming back they may push McCluggage out to the wing again and he may see a better future elsewhere

Reports from last week were that McCluggage & Brisbane are close to agreeing to a new deal, and likely that it'll be for less than he would get if signing as a FA

I think Lobb would be a sensible pick up on the cheap.

Reckon his best position is ruck, towelled up a raw Conway last year (after he was beating English).

We want a ruck who can be flexible, as hopefully Conway will be ready next year.

No point paying up for a ruck only. He would also be an option forward with Hawkins retiring.

Lobb, for all his many faults, fits that bill better than most and would be available at big discount.

Reckon his best position is ruck, towelled up a raw Conway last year (after he was beating English).

We want a ruck who can be flexible, as hopefully Conway will be ready next year.

No point paying up for a ruck only. He would also be an option forward with Hawkins retiring.

Lobb, for all his many faults, fits that bill better than most and would be available at big discount.
I don't reckon Lobb wants to be a ruckman. I also question his team first attitude. Seems happy to up and leave a team when things aren't going his way.

He would only move to be number one, and while we are managing Conway a bit this year next year I expect him to be number 1.

On that basis I can't see Rory coming to us. He is a far more useful player than his reputation indicates though I think. Just not for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would only move to be number one, and while we are managing Conway a bit this year next year I expect him to be number 1.

On that basis I can't see Rory coming to us. He is a far more useful player than his reputation indicates though I think. Just not for us.
I think Lobb is very happy being a backup. If he wanted to be a #1 ruck he would never have gone to Freo or WB.

Backup ruck is the equivalent of backup QB in the NFL. Rarely needed, and paid well for sitting on the sidelines. It is one of the best jobs in the game.

I think Lobb is very happy being a backup. If he wanted to be a #1 ruck he would never have gone to Freo or WB.

Backup ruck is the equivalent of backup QB in the NFL. Rarely needed, and paid well for sitting on the sidelines. It is one of the best jobs in the game.

I don't he sees himself as a ruck

Totally agree with this, if Hawkins and Stanley retire this year Lobb would be an excellent pick up... if we didn't want to pump games into Conway and Neale.

As an aside I know Mason Cox is contracted for a while longer but Lobb would be a significant upgrade for Collingwood in the same position.

Always thought of him as one of those mostly anonymous defenders that make up the structure in most good backlines.

Didn't see his 2022 coming, nor that he'd be one of our better preformed defenders in 24.

He'll go well past 200 games and a premiership player, which is incredible for the "lesser" Kolodjashnij

I just came on here to ask about Rory.

I am a no on Rory Lobb.

The last thing we need is a ruckman who lacks competitiveness.

Yep this

10 years with Stanley was enough we need a ruckman that can at least challenge and push Conway as he develops
illustration magic GIF by Kochstrasse™
might help :grinning:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back