Traded Jordan Clark and F4 traded to Fremantle for #22 and F3 (Carl)

What happens with Clark

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the differentiation between whether a player was in future plans whether they were traded away?

Geelong has a sprinkling of young players who haven't had opportunity, which is fair because there are better senior players ahead of them on the list, but does a player like Constable also not feature in future plans?

Again, we were not fussed if Fogarty left. I suspect we will not be happy if Clarke wants to leave and so the price will be higher. Clarke has also shown more at AFL level than Fogarty (although that was a couple of years ago now).

Constable is not in future plans (but perhaps that has changed) and would be worth effectively nothing in a trade.

We wil see what the plan is for Geelong when delistings are announced...

How does his situation differ from Fogarty last year which was:

Fogarty & #38 for #30 and a 3rd round pick.

Both contracted, both relatively high picks.
It differs in the level of player we're discussing for a start. Clark has demonstrated much more at the level and flashes of brilliance demonstrate his upside. Fogarty is a worker and has done ok, but he will always be the same player.

Cats would be more than happy for him to stay, but if he doesn't want to I don't think they'd be remotely happy with a Fogarty level trade.

Your second outright is more than good value for Freo and with that pick the cats won't replace him with better than they're losing.

Is the differentiation between whether a player was in future plans whether they were traded away?

Geelong has a sprinkling of young players who haven't had opportunity, which is fair because there are better senior players ahead of them on the list, but does a player like Constable also not feature in future plans?
Well Constable apparently has a contract offer from us that he's not signing so probably does

Fogarty wasn't in contract and Clark was - that's the simple difference in the equation. We also want to keep Clark, whereas we weren't fussed about letting Fog go, due to his shoddy disposal that didn't work with our 'keepings off' gamestyle. He'll go, but it'll be for more than Fog went for - and it won't be a straight up easy trade, unless it's worth our while/he's incredibly unhappy.

Fogarty wasn't in contract and Clark was - that's the simple difference in the equation. We also want to keep Clark, whereas we weren't fussed about letting Fog go, due to his shoddy disposal that didn't work with our 'keepings off' gamestyle. He'll go, but it'll be for more than Fog went for - and it won't be a straight up easy trade, unless it's worth our while/he's incredibly unhappy.

Fogarty was contracted until 2021

Fogarty was contracted until 2021

Oh really? That's interesting...coulda sworn he wasn't...

2nd point still stands though, as he wasn't part of our future plans. Clark definitely is, and has had a personal mentorship under Sel where he spends a lot of time with him and Brit - going to dinners and hanging out at their place/picking his brain etc. Obviously things change quickly, but there's nothing to suggest that Clark even wants to leave (just media speculation), or that even if he does, we actually would be happy to lose him. If either of those are true and Freo or WC come knocking, then it'll definitely be a case of offering up something worthwhile - or we'll just hold him to his contract.

It differs in the level of player we're discussing for a start. Clark has demonstrated much more at the level and flashes of brilliance demonstrate his upside. Fogarty is a worker and has done ok, but he will always be the same player.

Cats would be more than happy for him to stay, but if he doesn't want to I don't think they'd be remotely happy with a Fogarty level trade.

Your second outright is more than good value for Freo and with that pick the cats won't replace him with better than they're losing.
Pick 27 for Clark is reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair bit of draft/trade shenanigans at the Cattery coming up.

Of the current list 15 will be 30+ next season they just have to get younger players onto the list and current draft hand aint going to be the answer (3 second rounders). If Clark wants to walk and he's not going to turn into the player they want …..it's going to be a tough deal unless other pieces are added.

Freo need another year of hitting the draft and pick 6*, 8 & 27 would be just dandy.

If Cerra comes with pick 25 - then perhaps Freo would consider that as we still have 3 solid picks for the draft.

Not sure Geelong would be interested in any future picks in as there draft hand needs to be strengthened this year and moving out any future picks is dangerous in case they fall off the pace quickly.

I'm not convinced Carlton will do anything other than offer pick 6, which makes this a case of 27 for Clark ....a price as a Freo fan I'd not be keen to use (not that I don't think he's worth it).

May just be a case of let's see where both clubs end up after a week of trading.

Of the current list 15 will be 30+ next season they just have to get younger players onto the list and current draft hand aint going to be the answer (3 second rounders). If Clark wants to walk and he's not going to turn into the player they want …..it's going to be a tough deal unless other pieces are added.

Freo need another year of hitting the draft and pick 6*, 8 & 27 would be just dandy.

If Cerra comes with pick 25 - then perhaps Freo would consider that as we still have 3 solid picks for the draft.

Not sure Geelong would be interested in any future picks in as there draft hand needs to be strengthened this year and moving out any future picks is dangerous in case they fall off the pace quickly.

I'm not convinced Carlton will do anything other than offer pick 6, which makes this a case of 27 for Clark ....a price as a Freo fan I'd not be keen to use (not that I don't think he's worth it).

May just be a case of let's see where both clubs end up after a week of trading.

In this draft three second rounders is handy - and our recruiter does better with later picks than earlier ones. There are quite a few young players on our list, they just don't get much senior game time. I suspect that is going to change - well I hope it does.

A week ago I would have just said, look he wants out, send us a 2nd and we'll all move on. But with Knights gone, some senior coaches being looked at by other clubs again, every chance that there is a fair shake up of the list of 1st selected names. We might keep him yet

Freo have been interested in him since the moment he was drafted. A combination of issues including injury, alleged attitude/professionalism and mature aged players being preferred have conspired against him playing more senior footy. Will he request a trade back to WA and I'd so, what are the chances Geelong will hold him to the contract and (given their list demographic), guarantee him game time next year? Alternatively, if Geelong agree to trade, what price could he fetch at the trade table?

Mid second rounder or equivalent player.
Id rather keep him though.

If Clark is a required player and his position is wing, will he be replacing Smith or Menegola next year?

As seen later on in the year, Menegola could play more inside as Sel transitions out of the midfield/Danger plays more forward, with Clark sent to the wing (if we keep him that is).

Basically a midfield setup of:

I. Smith, Menegola, Clark
Stanley, Guthrie, Parfitt

Holmes, Danger, Selwood, O'Connor and Duncan rotating through from forward/back positions

That's what I'd like to see, anyway.

Back