• No

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 135 55.8%
  • Such is Life

Votes: 40 16.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Note: This is not a thread to air your views on left/right politics, vaccination mandates or conspiracies, this is a thread to discuss Djokovic and the Australian Open saga only. Humour is accepted and encouraged :D Abuse is not.
Thanks.

AEA78B7C-CABD-42A8-9D94-2ED15A7D2BAB.jpeg

Last edited:
If his visa does get cancelled today and Novak announces his attention to fight it again, will Tiley still put him in the draw?

If he had a shred of decency now he’d withdraw himself. Make a statement about distraction/good of the tournament yadayadayada. Maybe even apologise. Might even win back a little respect.

Won’t do it of course.

Imagine the good will Djokovic would have generated if he'd diplomatically declined to come to Australia and issued a statement emphasising the respect he has for Australia's border rules, his love of the tournament and the locals who attend the Open.

Novak will probably win several more grand slams and hold the record for ever, but he'll never have the respect that Laver, Ashe, Federer and others have. Perhaps he will regret this after he retires. Or perhaps not. There is certainly a degree of narcissism in his character.

The way you've carried yourself in this thread would seem to indicate the opposite. Who are you kidding?

Disagree with quite a few things, and I especially disagree with mandates for sports. All for them in some sectors. Don't see them needed. That's a personal view and I'm not changing that view, this whole thing hasn't changed that, if anything makes me agree with it more.

Why should he get an injunction and what makes people assume that he will?
Assuming an appeal is lodged means there is a prospect that the deportation order is overturned, in those scenarios an injunction to stop deportation would prima facie flow as there would otherwise be no satisfactory recourse should he win the appeal. You can't go back in time and not physically deport him after the fact, so an injunction is given to maintain the status quo (i.e his status here in Aus) while the appeal is considered.

Imagine the good will Djokovic would have generated if he'd diplomatically declined to come to Australia and issued a statement emphasising the respect he has for Australia's border rules, his love of the tournament and the locals who attend the Open.

Novak will probably win several more grand slams and hold the record for ever, but he'll never have the respect that Laver, Ashe, Federer and others have. Perhaps he will regret this after he retires. Or perhaps not. There is certainly a degree of narcissism in his character.

no 45 likes this

He could certainly do with some good PR.

He doesn't care. The only thing he'll be caring about is the French Open, Wimbledon and the US. Hopefully we'll be relaxing our entry things by next year. He only cares about the record although he'd lose the no1 ranking soon (Medvedev or Zverev)

He doesn't care. The only thing he'll be caring about is the French Open, Wimbledon and the US. Hopefully we'll be relaxing our entry things by next year. He only cares about the record although he'd lose the no1 ranking soon (Medvedev or Zverev)

It will be interesting to see if he cops a 3 year exemption from entry to Australia.

Incorrect.

He has a burning desire to be liked

Why should he get an injunction and what makes people assume that he will?
Judge mentioned it at the end of the thing on Monday, he told the government lawyers he wanted to know in advance of anything like that so he could organise his schedule, then turned to Djokovic's lawyers and made some remark about expecting they would ask for an injunction.

The reports over the last couple of days also suggest that the government is expecting an injunction to follow immediately after any action to cancel the visa, which would prevent deportation while the matter is heard. Not sure if that means he's free in the community or if he's detained while he waits for an outcome. 🤔 The expectation of a lot of people seems to be he would free to play in the interim.

Judge mentioned it at the end of the thing on Monday, he told the government lawyers he wanted to know in advance of anything like that so he could organise his schedule, then turned to Djokovic's lawyers and made some remark about expecting they would ask for an injunction.

The reports over the last couple of days also suggest that the government is expecting an injunction to follow immediately after any action to cancel the visa, which would prevent deportation while the matter is heard. Not sure if that means he's free in the community or if he's detained while he waits for an outcome. 🤔 The expectation of a lot of people seems to be he would free to play in the interim.
I cant see how he'd be free in the community if the prevailing ruling was to be deported, and it was on him to prove otherwise. But could be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see if he cops a 3 year exemption from entry to Australia.
Cryptkeeper, I responded to one of your very early comments on this subject, during which I made some personal comments, which were totally uncalled for. I have now deleted that post, and apologise for any offence and hurt that may have caused.

He could certainly do with some good PR. Public opinion has swung decidedly against him.
Help the detainees. It’s simple. Even if people see that as just a PR move, the end result is the poor imprisoned people in the hotel getting some much needed support.

Would be staggered if he's allowed to play while the injunction is in effect. If so Fed Govt have their pants down again if that's the letter of the law.

Another big legal can of worms here, if he didn’t inform the journo and photographer he was covid positive, apparently they found out 3 weeks later. Wow, you’d be spitting chips if you had sick or elderly people at home 😳

Another big can of worms here, if he didn’t inform the journo and photographer he was covid positive, apparently they found out 3 weeks later. Wow, you’d be spitting chips if you had sick or elderly people at home 😳

The photographer is here in Melbourne and tested negative. No word from the journos yet. The mask wearing and social distancing must have worked.

Cryptkeeper, I responded to one of your very early comments on this subject, during which I made some personal comments, which were totally uncalled for. I have now deleted that post, and apologise for any offence and hurt that may have caused.

Didn’t see it mate (or don’t remember being slighted in a way that bothered me). No issues whatsoever from my end.👍

The photographer is here in Melbourne and tested negative. No word from the journos yet. The mask wearing and social distancing must have worked.
Hardly the point.

Can’t see it happening, but if he gets the elbow and then gets an injunction, the entire draw is compromised. What powers do the ITF have here?

Another big legal can of worms here, if he didn’t inform the journo and photographer he was covid positive, apparently they found out 3 weeks later. Wow, you’d be spitting chips if you had sick or elderly people at home 😳

Probably not, because he almost certainly never had it. Funny how one lie so often needs several more to sustain it.

In our family we are all aware of eachother, as soon as someone has a sniffle or could be a contact we inform each other so choices can be made. We have people with various health issues in households, elderly people, and people who cannot afford to miss work or infect their workmates therefore putting the whole system under pressure.

If someone rocked up to mingle with me and didn’t tell me they were positive I would be rather unhappy.
Common courtesy, decency and care for others I would have thought.

Back