Lifestyle Paddocks and Plates - Share your Garden and Kitchen Tips and Pics 🌱🍑🥬🌶

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool & Southern Tablelands
(includes: Melbourne, Tasmania & cool highlands)
HERBS – plant chives, cress, curry, dill, mint, parsley, sage and thyme.

FRUIT & VEGETABLE – plant artichoke, asparagus, beetroot, broad beans, broccoli, Brussels sprout, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, celery, endive, leek, lettuce, onion, peas, snow peas, silverbeet, spinach and radish.
Excellent will be going Chives, Brussel Sprouts, Leeks, Snow Peas and Kale.

Moving to a house with big vege garden.
Any tips on some easy to grow high yeilding winter vegetables in the Melbourne area?
This is a fantastic chart on the Bulleen Arts and Gardens website, I use it to plan my plantings year round.

This is a fantastic chart on the Bulleen Arts and Gardens website, I use it to plan my plantings year round.

Cheers, thanks Wosh.

I didn't realize you could plant strawberries in June. I will be loading up on them with a companion plant to stop the bugs.
Maybe garlic I'll look into it.
Ha, garlic snap

It’s amazing how quick plants germinate when you sow them at the right
I didn't realize you could plant strawberries in June. I will be loading up on them with a companion plant to stop the bugs.
Maybe garlic I'll look into it.
You should always try and plant some vegetables from the legume family eg peas/beans as these will actually put nitrogen back into your soil which will then benefit your spring / summer vegetables

No probs, let us know how you go. I’ll be planting my garlic in the next few days.
I'm not moving in for 3 weeks so I'll check back in then.
I grew Jerusalem artichokes in Ballarat one winter, that went well.
So many options!
I've has a 1 meter by 2.5 meter garden for the last ten years and just grown tomatoes, basil and parsley in the Summer.

It’s amazing how quick plants germinate when you sow them at the right

You should always try and plant some vegetables from the legume family eg peas/beans as these will actually put nitrogen back into your soil which will then benefit your spring / summer vegetables
I normally use pea straw which leeches a bit of nitrogen I think.

I normally use pea straw which leeches a bit of nitrogen I think.
Plants from the legume family produce nitrogen nodules on their root systems, plants such as the acacia/wattles are from the legume family, we grow these at my work and you can take the nodules off the root system, crush them and dilute them in water and use it on other plants to green them up.

Plants from the legume family produce nitrogen nodules on their root systems, plants such as the acacia/wattles are from the legume family, we grow these at my work and you can take the nodules off the root system, crush them and dilute them in water and use it on other plants to green them up.

Yes, you grow peas in between rows of cash crops and just hoe them in after the harvest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not a gum it’s Hakea laurina, the pin cushion Hakea, my work no longer sells it as it is an environmental weed in the Adelaide hills. I did however grow some to plant at my house and put them in the ground just the other day
Its really pretty, I might get one for my front yard. I would assume it attracts lots of little birdies :)

Its really pretty, I might get one for my front yard. I would assume it attracts lots of little birdies :)
Birds and bees will love it, I just planted 15 of them, great for cut flowers too

I'm fresh out here too.

Time to go and buy 10kg of capsicums :tearsofjoy:
Thats the problem, not in season now so way too expensive, plus shop bought is shite. I bought lots of seeds though and I’ll be planting several beds of them this Spring and make much much more. I make a few different ones using your recipe as the base, the tomato/pepper/chilli one is especially good 👍🏻

C6787F44-A426-4A93-921A-013FB4E14FBF.jpeg
Marconi reds are amazing

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back