Play a Showdown in Melbourne says Damien Barrett

Remove this Banner Ad

MCG Friday night prime time Adelaide v Port Adelaide

Should it happen ?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11/01/play-a-showdown-in-melbourne-says-barrett/
Thankfully no one listens to Barrett, that is possibly the worst idea he has hatched in a while, why would anyone even come up with something so stupid?

Maybe we can.play dreamtime at Optus or something and cut crowds by a 3rd:drunk:

Barrett stated that in his opinion the showdowns are the best games for the year, personally I wouldn't cancel a session of Better Homes and Gardens to watch it, yes they're often close but give me two big Vic clubs playing any day of the week, I am of course old school when it comes to footy.

Not saying that all Vics think this is a good idea, but clearly a majority of them think the world revolves around them. The AFL and C7 obviously agree as they prefer to broadcast games featuring one or between two crap Vic sides instead of games like the showdown, derby and other interstate clashes into Melbourne.
For forever you have got all twenty two games featuring WA sides into Perth. As it should be - but I remember for instance in 2010 having to sit through something like West Coast/Brisbane while the FTA game of Collingwood/Geelong was relegated because it clashed with WA team game. Which is fine. Vics don’t get that luxury with their games though, so in a ten team market it makes sense that would dominate FTA broadcasting.

Damien Barrett has no idea.
Looks like he never did any research, if he did, he might have found out that Port Adelaide & Adelaide are contracted to play their home games at Adelaide Oval.
The Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority hold all the cards and wont let a Showdown game go anywhere from Adelaide.

For forever you have got all twenty two games featuring WA sides into Perth. As it should be - but I remember for instance in 2010 having to sit through something like West Coast/Brisbane while the FTA game of Collingwood/Geelong was relegated because it clashed with WA team game. Which is fine. Vics don’t get that luxury with their games though, so in a ten team market it makes sense that would dominate FTA broadcasting.

Agree with this but give people the choice, C7 have numerous channels and there is no reason they can’t put two games on FTA at the same time. Then people will choose what they want to watch.

Damien Barrett has no idea.
Looks like he never did any research, if he did, he might have found out that Port Adelaide & Adelaide are contracted to play their home games at Adelaide Oval.
The Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority hold all the cards and wont let a Showdown game go anywhere from Adelaide.

Now, the mistake you have made is assuming someone in the media did research. :p

I think this is a stupid idea but I still want to make a point about something.

A lot of interstate fans complain about not playing enough games at the MCG during the season. One of the reasons for this is because the AFL wants to grow the game in the rest of Australia (and China :S ) by having teams sell off their home games.

Here's a breakdown of teams that sell home games away from home:

Victorian Teams Games Sold Off:
Hawthorn -Launceston x3
Western Bulldogs - Ballarat x2
North Melbourne - Hobart x4
St Kilda - China
Melbourne - NT x2

TOTAL 12

Interstate Teams Games Sold Off:
GWS -Canberra x3
Gold Coast -Townsville x1

TOTAL 4

It is also no secret that these games sold off are more likely to be played against interstate opposition than rival Victorian teams due to crowd numbers.

My point is that if interstate clubs started to try compete with the Victorian clubs for hosting rights to these ventures (as a hypothetical, Crows buy the right to a game in Alice Springs and play a team there) that would likely free up an away game against a Victorian club to play another game at the MCG. GWS are the only interstate club that regularly sell-off home games and in 2019 will have the equal most visits to the MCG this year for an interstate side despite a likely small crowd.

Instead you have situations where Port insist on being the away team but hosting a venture in China which costs them a chance to play in Melbourne.

A big part of the reason the showdowns are so epic is the crowd. They create the atmosphere.

Moving the game to the MCG where 10 Victorians will go watch with 50 South Australians who can afford the air fare will sterilise it.

Leave it alone. The showdowns have taken over from the Hawks-Cats fixtures as the most entertaining and 'must-see' from a neutral perspective. Don't F' that up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big part of the reason the showdowns are so epic is the crowd. They create the atmosphere.

Moving the game to the MCG where 10 Victorians will go watch with 50 South Australians who can afford the air fare will sterilise it.

Leave it alone. The showdowns have taken over from the Hawks-Cats fixtures as the most entertaining and 'must-see' from a neutral perspective. Don't F' that up.
Play it on friday night in adelaide. Who knows, numptys in vic might even enjoy it.

It's one step closer towards the right thing. Every game being played in Melbourne.

Do the Brits play EPL matches in Scotland?

Last edited:

A lot of interstate fans complain about not playing enough games at the MCG during the season. One of the reasons for this is because the AFL wants to grow the game in the rest of Australia (and China :S ) by having teams sell off their home games.

Hawthorn -Launceston x3
St Kilda - China
Melbourne - NT x2

TOTAL 12

GWS -Canberra x3

TOTAL 4

It is also no secret that these games sold off are more likely to be played against interstate opposition than rival Victorian teams due to crowd numbers.

My point is that if interstate clubs started to try compete with the Victorian clubs for hosting rights to these ventures (as a hypothetical, Crows buy the right to a game in Alice Springs and play a team there) that would likely free up an away game against a Victorian club to play another game at the MCG. GWS are the only interstate club that regularly sell-off home games and in 2019 will have the equal most visits to the MCG this year for an interstate side despite a likely small crowd.

Instead you have situations where Port insist on being the away team but hosting a venture in China which costs them a chance to play in Melbourne.
I'd argue went dont "sell" home games to Canberra. Three games Manuka has been a part if what we do from the beginning. We've never relocated those games, they've always been there.

The club has repeatedly stated an intention to play finals there when the opportunity arises.

Hawthorn -Launceston x3
St Kilda - China
Melbourne - NT x2

TOTAL 12

GWS -Canberra x3

TOTAL 4

Melbourne clubs sell off those games in order become financially viable (with the exception of the Hawks, which was a money making venture that they don't need any more) because they can't draw crowds. Not to mention that for MCG games, only the Demons and Hawks are relevant.

Melbourne only get 7000 people at Alice, might as well play the Bulldogs or Saints there. Last time we played Dees in Melbourne got 30K, which is the same those two clubs drew last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back