Game Day R6: Adelaide vs Richmond- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Hampton

Remove this Banner Ad

A West Coast supporter posted a really interesting stat. Apparently the Crows kicked over 100 points 17 times last year (and over 95 in 3 more games) and this year we've kicked over 100 in 6 out of 6 games. That absolutely amazes me. I'd love to know the record for most 100+ point games in a row or even in a single season.

Anyone know where to look for that?
Adelaide have now scored 100 points + 15 times this season. How many teams have more?
From just a brief look into it:
Carlton had 21 in 1979
Hawthorn had 19 in 1982 and 18 in both 1987 and 1988
Geelong had 18 in 1992 and 17 in 1989 (plus a 99)
Essendon had 18 in 2000
North had 17 in 1983 and 16 in 1993 (20-game season)
Sydney had 16 in 1987

I'm sure there would be more

He has a point though, nothing says we have to keep the opposition to low scores. Obviously helps, but stuff it, if our team is better equipped to win games by kicking over 100 and conceding slightly more then so be it.

Our performances this year so far feel very different to last year, getting very few joe the goose goals which hopefully means we are harder to stop.
As I said in a previous post, I guarentee the coaching staff would not be satisfied with the amount of points we have had scored against us.
I think there was even an article written about it in some newspaper as a concern.

Well, there you go. Many on here were talking up a thumping and they were right. Well done. But I don't think anyone could've seen what would happen in the first 1/4 with that hit out and then the absolute demolishing in the second, showing what was to come.
Our ability to adjust is the biggest improvement in our game this year.
We made one of the best defences so far this year look like a joke and turned our much questioned defence into a miserly troupe of Scrooges that gave nothing.
Very impressed.

I have had to shelve my Tassie trip next week , am now thinking of a Geelong trip, even though Tassie is warmer. What are tickets like to get?

My brother-in-law lives in Geelong and got ours yesterday. He said they are selling fast and only pockets or behind goals available. Grab a ticket quick.

As I said in a previous post, I guarentee the coaching staff would not be satisfied with the amount of points we have had scored against us.
I think there was even an article written about it in some newspaper as a concern.

Was there an article written for each of the 15 teams who have conceded more points than us this season too?

What a great performance by the Crows :thumbsu: We are genuinely good this year. I just hope we can sustain it into the finals! Long way to go yet.

If Richmond can put it all together they have the makings of a great side. The first quarter by them was some of the best footy I've ever seen any team play. It's only our insane inside 50 to goal conversion rate that kept it as close as it was. That said, I know it's a bugbear of mine (and most Crows supporters), but what a pissweak performance by "the best defender of all time" Alex Rance. I guess it probably wasn't his decision to not play on Walker, but if you're that good, and the opponent's leading forward has five goals in the middle of the third quarter, then why the * aren't you on in him? It's absolutely criminal that Rance has been so decorated in his career so far while Talia, an infinitely better defender, is still in the "oh, I didn't realise he was that good!" category.

Jake Kelly, what a great return. Even his usual kicking yips weren't too bad. Between Talia, Hartigan, Lever and Kelly, along with Otten playing forward and Cheney in the wings, we have a serious stockpile of AFL-quality tall defenders. Lever really impresses me with how quickly he reads the ball. Can't wait for him to start clunking a few more marks but damn, he is in the right spot almost all the time!

Crazy to think that Jenkins and Betts both had poor games and we still kicked our usual 140-odd points. This is something that's really reminded me of the 2005-2006 days, we seem to have double figures of goalkickers each week now. The difference between now and then is that we also have an extremely strong forward line. Back then it seemed our midfielders kicked the goals because it was more reliable than hoping Perrie or McGregor would clunk a mark. No such problem in 2017!

38 touches from Matty Crouch is crazy, and Sloane and Laird both continue their absurdly good form. Sloane is an absolute beast, but Laird is ridiculous as well. How does he get so much of the ball every single week? And he uses it so well. At one point he had 23 touches and was going at 100% efficiency.

Jacobs was brilliant today too. He seems to be good for one outstanding performance per month in between his other reasonable performances.

Other than Knight in (probably for either Milera or Mackay) I think we are currently playing our best 22 players. Have to feel for the likes of O'Brien, Poholke and Greenwood, there doesn't look like being all that many opportunities to break into the Crows side this year!

What a great performance by the Crows :thumbsu: We are genuinely good this year. I just hope we can sustain it into the finals! Long way to go yet.

If Richmond can put it all together they have the makings of a great side. The first quarter by them was some of the best footy I've ever seen any team play. It's only our insane inside 50 to goal conversion rate that kept it as close as it was. That said, I know it's a bugbear of mine (and most Crows supporters), but what a pissweak performance by "the best defender of all time" Alex Rance. I guess it probably wasn't his decision to not play on Walker, but if you're that good, and the opponent's leading forward has five goals in the middle of the third quarter, then why the **** aren't you on in him? It's absolutely criminal that Rance has been so decorated in his career so far while Talia, an infinitely better defender, is still in the "oh, I didn't realise he was that good!" category.

Jake Kelly, what a great return. Even his usual kicking yips weren't too bad. Between Talia, Hartigan, Lever and Kelly, along with Otten playing forward and Cheney in the wings, we have a serious stockpile of AFL-quality tall defenders. Lever really impresses me with how quickly he reads the ball. Can't wait for him to start clunking a few more marks but damn, he is in the right spot almost all the time!

Crazy to think that Jenkins and Betts both had poor games and we still kicked our usual 140-odd points. This is something that's really reminded me of the 2005-2006 days, we seem to have double figures of goalkickers each week now. The difference between now and then is that we also have an extremely strong forward line. Back then it seemed our midfielders kicked the goals because it was more reliable than hoping Perrie or McGregor would clunk a mark. No such problem in 2017!

38 touches from Matty Crouch is crazy, and Sloane and Laird both continue their absurdly good form. Sloane is an absolute beast, but Laird is ridiculous as well. How does he get so much of the ball every single week? And he uses it so well. At one point he had 23 touches and was going at 100% efficiency.

Jacobs was brilliant today too. He seems to be good for one outstanding performance per month in between his other reasonable performances.

Other than Knight in (probably for either Milera or Mackay) I think we are currently playing our best 22 players. Have to feel for the likes of O'Brien, Poholke and Greenwood, there doesn't look like being all that many opportunities to break into the Crows side this year!
Need give a few other players a run during the year long season

I apologise for making the assumption you were looking for a shoulder to cry on. I was wrong. You're that drunk guy who's wandered into the wrong bar and starts looking for a fight and wonders why everybody is laughing at him cos his pants have been stolen.

Still assuming eh? I'll try one...

I bet you couldn't be happier with a 6-0 start to the season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to be too technical, but Carlton did make the 2013 finals after finishing 9th. And unless they change the finals system Richmond will always hold the dubious distinction of being the only team ever who were knocked out of the finals by the team who finished 9th.

Fair play to Richmond, they can only beat the team they are drawn to play against each week, and so far they have done that well. There's a lot of games to be played yet this season, as Blighty said "It's a marathon not a sprint".

We need to keep a lid on it, and how Richmond go from here will be interesting. At 5-1 their supporters still can feel pretty satisfied.
Not be technical??? Goodness what is this rubbish??? I could throw barb's back if that's what you want? Instead of trying to conceal your intention to harm just bloody be blunt. The whole point of your response was the jibe about 2013, the rest is wasted camouflage.

Not be technical??? Goodness what is this rubbish??? I could throw barb's back if that's what you want? Instead of trying to conceal your intention to harm just bloody be blunt. The whole point of your response was the jibe about 2013, the rest is wasted camouflage.
Dude, won't they let you on your board?

If Richmond can put it all together they have the makings of a great side. The first quarter by them was some of the best footy I've ever seen any team play. It's only our insane inside 50 to goal conversion rate that kept it as close as it was. That said, I know it's a bugbear of mine (and most Crows supporters), but what a pissweak performance by "the best defender of all time" Alex Rance. I guess it probably wasn't his decision to not play on Walker, but if you're that good, and the opponent's leading forward has five goals in the middle of the third quarter, then why the **** aren't you on in him? It's absolutely criminal that Rance has been so decorated in his career so far while Talia, an infinitely better defender, is still in the "oh, I didn't realise he was that good!" category.

McLovin is in our best 22.

Thanks - surprised the gap was that big - didn't seem it to me at the game.
Seemed like once the game was gone they gave us a lot of cheap ones we had no hope of getting earlier in the game. I remember a 30 second period where we got about 3 in a row that I'm certain wouldn't have been paid if the margin was less than 10 points.

This nonsense about JJ not being best 22 is just that. 60 goal per year forwards are rare beasts indeed.
JJ is okay in the air as a contested mark, brilliant for a big bloke when the ball hits the ground, burns opponents with pace and athleticism and gives a chop-out in ruck.
What more does he have to do to be first 22 in some eyes on here?

This nonsense about JJ not being best 22 is just that. 60 goal per year forwards are rare beasts indeed.
JJ is okay in the air as a contested mark, brilliant for a big bloke when the ball hits the ground, burns opponents with pace and athleticism and gives a chop-out in ruck.
What more does he have to do to be first 22 in some eyes on here?

Crash packs.

Well, there you go. Many on here were talking up a thumping and they were right. Well done. But I don't think anyone could've seen what would happen in the first 1/4 with that hit out and then the absolute demolishing in the second, showing what was to come.
Our ability to adjust is the biggest improvement in our game this year.
We made one of the best defences so far this year look like a joke and turned our much questioned defence into a miserly troupe of Scrooges that gave nothing.
Very impressed.

Spot on

The flexibility of the players and the flexibility of the coach has finally come together at the same time.

First time since Blight that I have complete trust in what Pyke and Co are doing.

Even the first quarter I thought "all good - Pyke will fix this".
Couldn't play worse and Richmond couldn't have played better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back