Recommitted Rory Laird [RFA 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't imagine the Crows are trading him now. Has reinvented himself with a permanent move into the midfield.

While his game against the pies was good, let's not forget he was against a midfield of:

Adams, Sidebottom (not even an inside mid), Sier, Wills.

This midfield rotation is probably the weakest in the league, worse than teams on the bottom of the ladder. I rate him as a defender, but still not as a midfielder.

Not suggesting a straight swap but if Adelaide ask about CJ then you don’t think Richmond would float Laird in the discussion?
I assume if they are interested in Laird, they would float him before then!

That's like saying if Richmond are interested in Atkins, then Adelaide would float Lynch.

I'd expect clubs would only float players who are in the same ballpark. But I might be wrong, it's happened once before.

While his game against the pies was good, let's not forget he was against a midfield of:

Adams, Sidebottom (not even an inside mid), Sier, Wills.

This midfield rotation is probably the weakest in the league, worse than teams on the bottom of the ladder. I rate him as a defender, but still not as a midfielder.
"This midfield rotation is probably the weakest in the league" - No it's not!

1597373842014.png

I assume if they are interested in Laird, they would float him before then!

That's like saying if Richmond are interested in Atkins, then Adelaide would float Lynch.

I'd expect clubs would only float players who are in the same ballpark. But I might be wrong, it's happened once before.
Picks balance out the equation.
Coleman Jones is a top 20 pick that has three years Development the system already and has done nothing to lessen his value as a young KPF/Ruck.
Him and another decent pick is about Lairds value I reckon.
If the rumours around Richmond going After Crouch are true then the crows could keep a little of Lairds salary on their books allowing Richmond to load that onto Crouch’s first year contract and ensure a high compensation pick.

There’s plenty of ways to balance out a deal.

Last edited:
Coleman Jones is a top 20 pick that has three years Development the system already and has done nothing to lessen his value as a young KPF/Ruck.
If the rumours around Richmond going After Crouch are true then the crows could keep a little of Lairds salary on their books allowing Richmond to load that onto Crouch’s first year contract and ensure a high compensation pick.

Sort of, I like him as a prospect but playing 1 game in 3 years lowers his value. Big time.

If Adelaide wanted him they could satisfy a trade very easily without including Laird.

He may have been a relatively early pick, but he's behind Nakervis, Chol and Soldo, the latter two both rookies who have forced their way ahead of him with plenty of opportunities over the last 2.5 years.

I'd say that in itself is enough for him to be devalued.

He may have been a relatively early pick, but he's behind Nakervis, Chol and Soldo, the latter two both rookies who have forced their way ahead of him with plenty of opportunities over the last 2.5 years.

I'd say that in itself is enough for him to be devalued.
Chol and Soldo are both 24 and had played senior footy before he even got drafted.
He has been coming on nicely and would have played this year if not injured at the wrong time. Anyway, a discussion for another thread.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Crows Muppets thought he should be traded?
And what oppo flogs thought he was vanilla and not worth much at trade?
Never change BF, never change.
As the OP of this thread, I will answer the first part. Rory's form up until he moved in the last few weeks had been poor for the last 2 to 2.5 years. Also the club were struggling, and needed a change on field. Thus why the idea was floated. Kudos to Nicks for moving him in to the middle though.

As I am not an opposition supporter I cannot answer the second part for for them.

Don't worry, supporters like you, and the club would never have the guts to entertain such an idea. Easy to be critical after the fact though isn't it.

As the OP of this thread, I will answer the first part. Rory's form up until he moved in the last few weeks had been poor for the last 2 to 2.5 years. Also the club were struggling, and needed a change on field. Thus why the idea was floated. Kudos to Nicks for moving him in to the middle though.

As I am not an opposition supporter I cannot answer the second part for for them.

Don't worry, supporters like you, and the club would never have the guts to entertain such an idea. Easy to be critical after the fact though isn't it.
Lol.
In 2015 and 2016 he made the AA squad.
In 2017 and 2018 he made the AA team as well as the club B&F in 2018.
So I'm not sure where you are pulling the "poor form for 2 and a half years" rubbish from.
Clubs saw him as the launching pad for our rebound game and started putting time into him.
One lesser season, in a team that was falling apart, and you want to trade him out.
And you say it's supporters like me that have the problem?? Jesus.
I can tell you one thing, at the club Laird is in the top 5 for the way he prepares himself, and the way he put it in on track.
People like you jump too soon on players that have put in for years, and it's annoying, and can end up with you looking the clown.

Rory won't go anywhere. He loves the Crows and he's an SA boy turning 27 this year, probably not wanting to uproot his home/family life, Crows have the $ to easily give him what he deserves and they see the value in him.

He's not leaving his home state for less money.

Lol.
In 2015 and 2016 he made the AA squad.
In 2017 and 2018 he made the AA team as well as the club B&F in 2018.
So I'm not sure where you are pulling the "poor form for 2 and a half years" rubbish from.
Clubs saw him as the launching pad for our rebound game and started putting time into him.
One lesser season, in a team that was falling apart, and you want to trade him out.
And you say it's supporters like me that have the problem?? Jesus.
I can tell you one thing, at the club Laird is in the top 5 for the way he prepares himself, and the way he put it in on track.
People like you jump too soon on players that have put in for years, and it's annoying, and can end up with you looking the clown.
I started the topic as it was how I felt at the time, and thought it was worthy of discussion.

As for you assertion that what I said was rubbish, that is how I have seen it, and stand by it. A lot of players make the All-Australian team that are not worthy of it. You can think I am a clown. That doesn't bother me. Not everyone in this thread has disagreed with me. Does that make them all clowns as well?

Rory won't go anywhere. He loves the Crows and he's an SA boy turning 27 this year, probably not wanting to uproot his home/family life, Crows have the $ to easily give him what he deserves and they see the value in him.

He's not leaving his home state for less money.
Unlikely but his partner would like to live in Melbourne where she is from.

Definitely a keeper at the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back