Preview Round 12, 2018: St.Kilda v Sydney - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 9th June, 7:25PM AEST *2018 PRIDE GAME*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • Swans

Votes: 56 53.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are Brown and Austin going to fit in the same team with Jakey next week????
Would be a great way to tear Aussies heart out if we drop him after the performances he's given.

And having said that, Brown has been a solid trooper all year for us as well.

Would be a great way to tear Aussies heart out if we drop him after the performances he's given.

Unfortunately one must go. It would be crazy playing 3 talls against GC. I would drop Brown but they wont. Actually all 3 may play but I certainly wouldn't do it. The more run the better. Same when Bruce is fit. Paddy will have to go if he is playing as he is now.

I can't see why it wouldn't work, Austin is like replacing Robbo have Jake & Browny play on players & Austin the intercept marker or vice verser with Jake.

Frawley on the selection video (Saints website) said that he expects Austin to play the third tall role a la Roberton next week when Carlisle comes back in.

Unfortunately one must go. It would be crazy playing 3 talls against GC. I would drop Brown but they wont. Actually all 3 may play but I certainly wouldn't do it. The more run the better. Same when Bruce is fit. Paddy will have to go if he is playing as he is now.

What would you do once Geary is fit? Drop Rice?
What about when Gilbert is fit? Drop Coffield?

Happy to see Billings in the VFL. campaigner has been doing my head in. I thought he would have been an AA this year, something clearly not right with his head.

Don't mind the 22 picked, but if Clark starts in the back pocket and Newnes on a wing I'll ******* spew.

Brown to go to Buddy and Austin to play the Carlisle role.

Still would love to know why the players lacked confidence so early into the year. Its very strange.
Plugger...… that question is one that still burns in my mind.

It was basically after round 1 that it appeared their confidence was shot.....I just couldn't get my head around that.

As I mentioned yesterday,my best guess is that the game plan that they practiced on all Summer was no good from the start and early in the season the realization made that it was too late to change it.

We didn't have the skill/players to execute this plan leading to a rise in absolute confusion gameday and a subsequent drop in confidence...….leading to comically bad execution of skills etc.

The players were bad beyond belief.

It was basically after round 1 that it appeared their confidence was shot.....I just couldn't get my head around that.

As I mentioned yesterday,my best guess is that the game plan that they practiced on all Summer was no good from the start and early in the season the realization made that it was too late to change it.

We didn't have the skill/players to execute this plan leading to a rise in absolute confusion gameday and a subsequent drop in confidence...….leading to comically bad execution of skills etc.

And you can tell the confidence is back and not just by how we are playing during a game but the kicking for goal has all of a sudden improved. You certainly could be right about the game plan. Ive said many times I cant work out any teams game plan but im sure the players can and we may have had the wrong plan for the type of players we had.

Just on Savage, I remember watching a game earlier this year and Roo was commentating. He was pretty critical of Savage saying that he just puts the ball on his foot without looking and while it’s good for the disposal efficiency stat as he can kick it over 40m it is not good for the team as he kicks it blindly and usually to the opposition.

Been watching for it closely ever since and it’s hard to disagree. He has a nice penetrating kick but is a poor decision maker and panicks under pressure.
Absolutely. That was during the Saints/Cats game and he made an interesting remark about metres gained. He stated it can be a very misleading stat because, like Savage has shown, is that a player can make multiple 50m bombs that go to packs, but they can be quite ineffective and pointless. His meters gained stat can be high, but does it help the team ?

I felt they were confident r1 and heading into half time in r2.
North gave them a huge reality check.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. That was during the Saints/Cats game and he made an interesting remark about metres gained. He stated it can be a very misleading stat because, like Savage has shown, is that a player can make multiple 50m bombs that go to packs, but they can be quite ineffective and pointless. His meters gained stat can be high, but does it help the team ?

True, it was about metres gained and not disposal efficiency. It was fairly cutting from the great man, but he was as frustrated by it like we were.

He's be better suited on the HFF where can long bomb at the goals...

Its a fair comment but its also gameplan dependent, the way the tigers played last year (just get the ball inside 50 by hook or by crook) worked. Our forward line setup at the moment doesn't have the pressure players to warrant the kick and hope style. Put Savage on the HBF at the tigers where he is kicking long to Caddy/Riewoldt with the mosquito fleet at their feet and he works well.

I think we all knew the effect losing an absolute champion like Roo would have but maybe we were all too optimistic about others filling in.

What would you do once Geary is fit? Drop Rice?
What about when Gilbert is fit? Drop Coffield?

Exactly, and our performances weren't what you'd call stellar with both those two in the team. In my opinion if you're out injured or suspended and your replacement is performing well then you either replace someone else or work your way back into the side.

Brown most probably not play on Franklin due to speed , Brown is good on the slower big guys like Patton and Hawkins , however Brown being in the team adds some experience and a level head also will help in stoppages for telling the younger guys where to position , which would help since we don't have Carlisle , Roberton or Geary.

Without Geary he will be expected to organise the kids. He's actually pretty vocal so probably there for that reason more than anything else.

How the **** does Savage keep his spot each week?

He’s terrible 1 on 1, gets destroyed in the air, offensively runs hard & just blazes away to outnumbered contests, rarely lowers the eyes. Racks up heaps of ball running around being arguably the most unaccountable bloke in our back 6.

A backline of:

B: Rice Austin White
HB: Webster Carlisle Coffield

Froffage

Savage is no superstar but he's one of the two running rebound backs. He's targeted by opposition which leaves Webster free and if they target Web he gets free. It's more we don't have many quick long kicking line breakers. He's always serviceable. Anyone that want to play 22 kids every week is deluded if they think we will keep getting close games. Eventually they will tire and the results not going their way will drop the effort. You need a few solid older guys sprinkled through the team.

People need to watch other games, every team except the very top teams are having similar issues to us but we all think we are unique. We don't have stars to carry us but all teams are bombing to no-one because they are running back to pressure he opposition in their forward half. They all get pressured in the defensive 50 and find it hard to break the other way etc. Modern footy is a pressure game and we have a pretty inexperienced backline.

Just on Savage, I remember watching a game earlier this year and Roo was commentating. He was pretty critical of Savage saying that he just puts the ball on his foot without looking and while it’s good for the disposal efficiency stat as he can kick it over 40m it is not good for the team as he kicks it blindly and usually to the opposition.

Been watching for it closely ever since and it’s hard to disagree. He has a nice penetrating kick but is a poor decision maker and panicks under pressure.
And he physically can barely handball (not that he ever should with his awareness) at all. Keep a look out for it, it's hilarious.
The action is the same as when you're trying to teach a kid to do it.

So let me Summarise the last 6 pages.

Billings is crap should be dropped.
Why did they drop Billings?
Marshall is a ruckman, why play him back FMD.
Why bring back Brown and drop Marshall.
Coffield out why?
Why drop White for Coffield FMD.
Sack Richo.

Is that the right way to opine on here?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely Lonie is only there to keep Ben Long's place in the team warm!

I completely agree, we have missed Long in the team. Such a bad bit of timing, just as he was coming good and getting conference!

Thoughts of Long and his style of ball movement, along with a close look at last weeks games of both Clark and the Gresh, got me to thinking about what our new game style is built around.

It may have been said before now (on this forum or others) but I feel we are using the Geelong 2007/2008/2009 style of ball movement.

Lots of hand ball to chop through traffic, lots of pop kicks.

The only problem is that we still have some of the "dump it long" attitude we had from 3 years ago.

Geelong did go long, but only ever to a one on one or a free man.

I hope its true, because I think that method would work with the right team (and I think we are the right team), we have lots of creative and powerful handballs on the team now, and most of the newer guys are good kicks (check out a couple of Rice's kicks in the last quarter against the weagles).

Long, Hunter, Gresh, Membrey, Rice, Dunstan, Blake, Phillips and Cofield,,,

Exactly, and our performances weren't what you'd call stellar with both those two in the team. In my opinion if you're out injured or suspended and your replacement is performing well then you either replace someone else or work your way back into the side.

The captain doesn't do that and he has played in the last few weeks when our form has improved. Might be slightly different if he didn't play but he did. He will come straight back in unless he is out for an extended time. Gilbert is completely different. Longer out and not a captain. If Geary wasn't captain things might be different but he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back