Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflbloke

Draftee
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hahahaha could’ve just imagined the finger pointing within the Doveton boys today. Can’t kick goals with your hands around your necks lads!

Disappointed but no excuses from the Eagles. Better team on the day won. We just didn’t get up and going all day. Credit to Highett.

Two games in 4 weeks always a risk when you go into a last quarter with scores even. Incredible year by Doveton. Hopefully they can get back up next year.

Top 3 in Highett B&F all come from the junior club - so all one point players. 2 of the 3 did go elsewhere to play higher level junior football, which will always happen when you are a small junior club and Sandy Dragons directs good players to play SMJFL Div 1 U17, or VAFA Premier U19s. However, if you build a culture that they want to come back to, then it can reap rewards.

No idea if it’s true but rumour has it their numbers have dropped right off and most of the committee has moved on.

Be a shame for them and for the division.

It was my first time playing Mt Waverley since watching my uncle play there when i was a little tacker and I was taken back at how terrible the facilities are. I feel sorry for any committee trying to work with that

No idea if it’s true but rumour has it their numbers have dropped right off and most of the committee has moved on.

Be a shame for them and for the division.
Just heard a supporter from the club talking on SEN. He said that they are having issues with volunteers. Meeting being held at the Notting Hill Pub.
Not sounding very promising. Mt Waverley will be the first of many clubs that will fold in the coming years. Not just SFL clubs, but across all regions. The AFL has totally ignored their own backyard, and they are going to pay a huge price for this in a few years.

Just heard a supporter from the club talking on SEN. He said that they are having issues with volunteers. Meeting being held at the Notting Hill Pub.
Not sounding very promising. Mt Waverley will be the first of many clubs that will fold in the coming years. Not just SFL clubs, but across all regions. The AFL has totally ignored their own backyard, and they are going to pay a huge price for this in a few years.
I agree, local footy is in poor shape. Numbers are being masked by the influx of women into the sport

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question. How are the AFL going to improve volunteers at local clubs? I think it’s more of a generational thing in that ‘Gen Y’ & these millenials aren’t or won’t volunteer their time unless they are paid for it or they think it’s beneath them.

Just on women’s footy, this is probably one factor that has caused a strain on volunteer numbers at all levels from AFL down to under 12s. Yes there are more females participating in footy but the numbers supersede females (players or mums) taking up roles.

Serious question. How are the AFL going to improve volunteers at local clubs? I think it’s more of a generational thing in that ‘Gen Y’ & these millenials aren’t or won’t volunteer their time unless they are paid for it or they think it’s beneath them.

Just on women’s footy, this is probably one factor that has caused a strain on volunteer numbers at all levels from AFL down to under 12s. Yes there are more females participating in footy but the numbers supersede females (players or mums) taking up roles.

Very good question, and you are spot on. The first thing you do before you leave a club, is replace yourself. The AFL could help by advertising the importance of volunteers at all local clubs. They seem to focus on the trendy causes, how about a grass roots footy day, where they can say thank you to volunteers. Cricket did this very well. As part of sport management degrees get these student to have to spend 3 months at a local club helping out and learning the basics of how hard it is to run and operate a grass root club. Get councils to actually do something for the community instead of increasing rates to collect our rubbish. Work for the dole programs and focus on local sporting clubs.

Very good question, and you are spot on. The first thing you do before you leave a club, is replace yourself. The AFL could help by advertising the importance of volunteers at all local clubs. They seem to focus on the trendy causes, how about a grass roots footy day, where they can say thank you to volunteers. Cricket did this very well. As part of sport management degrees get these student to have to spend 3 months at a local club helping out and learning the basics of how hard it is to run and operate a grass root club. Get councils to actually do something for the community instead of increasing rates to collect our rubbish. Work for the dole programs and focus on local sporting clubs.

I was on the committee at St Pauls for a number of years and it's bloody hard to get people to help out. Always the same handful of people doing the heavy lifting. I agree with the fact that most of the youngsters these days don't get involved on the committee (outside of the social commitee) as they get older, leaves a big gap.

St Paul's went through a lean patch (volunteer wise) but an influx of under 19's parents has really helped the cause.

Murrumbeena where i'm currently at is no different, same handful of people doing the heavy lifting and all it takes is for 2 - 3 of these people to decide to stop doing it and clubs will struggle. Need to find a way to get people into these volunteer roles, be it part of study for certain industries or even in partnership with certain organisations such as intellectually disabled where their members are capable of certain roles within a club which in turn gives them a sense of involvement and community.

I was on the committee at St Pauls for a number of years and it's bloody hard to get people to help out. Always the same handful of people doing the heavy lifting. I agree with the fact that most of the youngsters these days don't get involved on the committee (outside of the social commitee) as they get older, leaves a big gap.

St Paul's went through a lean patch (volunteer wise) but an influx of under 19's parents has really helped the cause.

Murrumbeena where i'm currently at is no different, same handful of people doing the heavy lifting and all it takes is for 2 - 3 of these people to decide to stop doing it and clubs will struggle. Need to find a way to get people into these volunteer roles, be it part of study for certain industries or even in partnership with certain organisations such as intellectually disabled where their members are capable of certain roles within a club which in turn gives them a sense of involvement and community.

This is exactly my point. Get young ones completing their degrees to have to participate behind the scenes at a club they are not involved with. They will get to see how hard it is, and try and come up with solutions. Perhaps get councils to get involved and give people discounts on their rates or offer some other benefits.Instead they send their council offers around to the grounds looking for reasons to shut down clubs.

How about naming some of these unsung heroes at all clubs and petition the SFL & AFL to do something to recognise them and advertise for volunteers in the local papers. Perfect time as pre season kicks in after Christmas.

Well done to Heatherton for having the balls to come up to Div 2.
To the 3 clubs who knocked it back pretty weak effort.

Well done to Heatherton for having the balls to come up to Div 2.
To the 3 clubs who knocked it back pretty weak effort.

not sure how you can say it's a weak effort. these clubs were rightly assuming they'd be in div 3 and probably recruited or budgeted accordingly. in saying that though i'm surprised the redbacks knocked it back if indeed they did. I know there was talk and things seemed as if it would happen but obviously it didn't and i'm not sure why. i'll be able to find out soon enough though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back