VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

So long as sit down meal can be a sausage roll/pie/hot dog with a beer most people would be happy with that.

Are players to bring their own water bottles on game day? Not sure if this was ever resolved..
What have players been doing during practice matches?

So we’ll get a lunch up and going and really singing, and then have to say to the guests “sorry, we have to close for two quarters but we’ll be back open at the end of the Ones”. Bit odd.
You might want to call it “Unhappy Hour” Map!

You might want to call it “Unhappy Hour” Map!
Isn't it about time that the VAFA come out of the dark ages and allow clubs to ''responsibly serve alcohol '' during games FFS. As we all know, Covid has had a real impact on clubs finances, so surely its time to consider this or at least trial it for this season. Estimate that clubs could certainly use the $500 or so that could be made during the games.

Isn't it about time that the VAFA come out of the dark ages and allow clubs to ''responsibly serve alcohol '' during games FFS. As we all know, Covid has had a real impact on clubs finances, so surely its time to consider this or at least trial it for this season. Estimate that clubs could certainly use the $500 or so that could be made during the games.
As long as it's not outside the social rooms i agree

That could work, but VAFA being VAFA with their relics still trying to make decisions would find a way of not agreeing. I'm gob smacked trying to understand why clubs don't put more pressure on them ? With everything that's gone on recently, surely its time to evolve and change things up to suit the times. In the meantime, i guess it will still be the Esky in the car and a six pack.

That might not be feasible for a lot of clubs. Many clubs have large, lavish rooms that overlook the ground, but what of those that don't. They shouldn't be disadvantaged. I'm not saying it should be a free-for-all all around the ground, but if clubs can submit a plan of where it will be consumed and sold, and stick to that, then we should be flexible enough to trust them.

Significant sanctions could apply to those that break the rules.

That might not be feasible for a lot of clubs. Many clubs have large, lavish rooms that overlook the ground, but what of those that don't. They shouldn't be disadvantaged. I'm not saying it should be a free-for-all all around the ground, but if clubs can submit a plan of where it will be consumed and sold, and stick to that, then we should be flexible enough to trust them.

Significant sanctions could apply to those that break the rules.
Every council have a "red line" for where alcohol is allowed that is sold to be consumed. Why not simply make it that?

That could work, but VAFA being VAFA with their relics still trying to make decisions would find a way of not agreeing. I'm gob smacked trying to understand why clubs don't put more pressure on them ? With everything that's gone on recently, surely its time to evolve and change things up to suit the times. In the meantime, i guess it will still be the Esky in the car and a six pack.
Probably because most clubs don’t see it as a priority. I know mine doesn't. I like a beer as much as the next bloke but go the footy to watch the game, not to drink. Also attend a few games in other comps during the season and don't drink then either. Before moving to the ammos I played in a different comp and perhaps have been put off by the crap and abuse I witnessed by the odd coward who had too much. I know others have a different view and that’s fine but personally have no issue with what is proposed. Perhaps within the red line might be a reasonable compromise.

If introducing drinking at game, even as a trial, start it as beers to be served from half-time onwards in the senior game, and the beer isn't allowed to be taken past a particular area, preventing idiots taking a few beers to go sit behind the goal umpire and hurl abuse.

So first beer at about 3/3.30pm. Hopefully blokes don't get that boozed up in one half of footy to turn themselves into a drunken coward hurling abuse. With smaller crowd numbers in the VAFA as is, reckon they'd be seen to easy enough if they did step out of line.

Probably because most clubs don’t see it as a priority. I know mine doesn't. I like a beer as much as the next bloke but go the footy to watch the game, not to drink. Also attend a few games in other comps during the season and don't drink then either. Before moving to the ammos I played in a different comp and perhaps have been put off by the crap and abuse I witnessed by the odd coward who had too much. I know others have a different view and that’s fine but personally have no issue with what is proposed. Perhaps within the red line might be a reasonable compromise.
I guess if a club doesn't see it as a priority, then they don't have to serve alcohol. I'm sure there are plenty of clubs out there that wouldn't see it as a "priority", but would still utilise the option as another revenue stream. We have to remember the VAFA is far from a level playing field. Clubs at the pointy end would be less likely to see this as an issue and accordingly would be against it, because it's better the devil you know. "We don't want it or need it, so we're not in favour of it. No need for a change". We have to equally look at the opinions of those that can see benefit in it.

The absolute vast majority of games held across the nation have no problems each and every weekend. The VAFA would be the same.

• I'd like to see bar open from the end of the Reserves. I think the 2s boys should be equally able to have a beer or two straight after their game, as the 1s boys do. Might even keep a few from sliding off to the pub.

• On function days, open from the start of the function with no closing.
  • Clubs must present a plan / map of their designated alcohol areas

• Sanctions / Bonds / Fines to apply for those contravening the rules

I guess if a club doesn't see it as a priority, then they don't have to serve alcohol. I'm sure there are plenty of clubs out there that wouldn't see it as a "priority", but would still utilise the option as another revenue stream. We have to remember the VAFA is far from a level playing field. Clubs at the pointy end would be less likely to see this as an issue and accordingly would be against it, because it's better the devil you know. "We don't want it or need it, so we're not in favour of it. No need for a change". We have to equally look at the opinions of those that can see benefit in it.

The absolute vast majority of games held across the nation have no problems each and every weekend. The VAFA would be the same.

• I'd like to see bar open from the end of the Reserves. I think the 2s boys should be equally able to have a beer or two straight after their game, as the 1s boys do. Might even keep a few from sliding off to the pub.

If you are desperate for a beer go to the pub, we don’t need yobbo’s destroying the family atmosphere at an ammo’s game. If you can’t smoke at a VAFA game why should you be allowed to drink?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think from the beginning of the half time siren in the seniors is reasonable. Let the ressies finish, have a shower and enjoy a bit of the seniors game without getting on the drink right away. Once the siren for half time, a responsible serving of alcohol can begin.

For clubs that dont have "watchable" access from their clubrooms, a cordoned off area outside can be done.

I think from the beginning of the half time siren in the seniors is reasonable. Let the ressies finish, have a shower and enjoy a bit of the seniors game without getting on the drink right away. Once the siren for half time, a responsible serving of alcohol can begin.

For clubs that dont have "watchable" access from their clubrooms, a cordoned off area outside can be done.
That would be a reasonable way to work it I guess.

If you are desperate for a beer go to the pub, we don’t need yobbo’s destroying the family atmosphere at an ammo’s game. If you can’t smoke at a VAFA game why should you be allowed to drink?
Who’s desperate? I’m merely trying to put forward a plan that would allow teams an extra and safe revenue stream.

To say that everyone who drinks beer is a yobbo and that serving beer will destroy the VAFA is a tad extreme done you think ?

Since when can’t you smoke at a VAFA game ? I don’t, but loads of people do

Another one of these vafa dinosaurs, a few harmless drinks don't turn people into "yobbos". Yobbos are yobbos without the alcohol too. Get with the times. Outside of the premier divisions, you don't get crowds.

You can't be serious, there's enough yobbos at the VAFA already without drinking beers, maybe the half time break in the car park sends them off ??? Seriously, a few beers at the footy isn't being desperate, and as far as smoking goes, i've never ever seen it be enforced ????? and most responsible people go under the trees and away from people anyway.

Don’t disagree and that’s why I said others will have a different view. While personally I am entirely comfortable with an alcohol ban during the game, I think what you propose has merit.

I can’t speak for all clubs but from discussions I have had with others the priorities seem to be about re-engaging with players, supporters and sponsors. Finding volunteers (which is harder than ever) and trying to negotiate through the “Return to Play’ minefield.

I agree that most games are played each weekend without incident. But the vast majority of drivers don’t get behind the wheel of a car when pissed or full of drugs, most blokes don’t sexually assault or harass women and most people don’t break into other people’s houses and steal their property. Sadly laws, rules and policies are made to try and manage the very small minority of people who do the wrong thing. Having said all that a trial of sorts cannot hurt.

Who’s desperate? I’m merely trying to put forward a plan that would allow teams an extra and safe revenue stream.
Since when can’t you smoke at a VAFA game ? I don’t, but loads of people do
Old mate, sorry if you misunderstood, I wasn't actually referring to YOU when I made that statement, I was referring to anyone. In regards to the smoking ban, it came in years ago.

Heard that club legend Tim Thomas passed away recently. He was everything every club needs. A doer and a helper. Uni Blacks have lost a legend. RIP and condolences to family and friends.

This link has some info. on:-

. GR AF club nos. in 2021, cf March 2020- has there been a drop off in nos.?

. Pressure on overused GR facilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back