VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

We had the double bye prior to Covid and it worked well. Last year in B and this year in C we have had 4 byes (16 Rounds) but never 2 weeks in a row.
Always going to have the travelers but hopefully never in the numbers as we have experienced this year.
Our European team would beat anyone!!
Maybe they should relocate some matches to Athens or Barcelona or Paris 😂

I think an 8 team competition in the divisions would work really well. 14 game season is perfect as it probably means blokes will play longer too.

As mentioned previously, I'd like to see the under 19s replaced with an under 23 league that would sit below the senior side with say 6 to 8 over 23s able to play in that team. This should be the same for all premier clubs then thirds teams can follow after this. The divisions can stay at just seniors then reserves.

I agree that a two week mid season bye would be ideal, especially in late June / early July, for everyone involved, from players, coaches, umpires, volunteers as well.

Local councils wouldn't mind a reduction in games played. Keep the dog walkers happy!!!

FWIW don’t think this argument has stacked up at all this season. Runner ups all having better seasons in higher grade. Bernards 10th having a better season than Trinity 9th. 2 up 2 down gives the season more live rubbers.
Prem teams up Blacks (R/U) 7th OH (Prem) 9th
B - OGs (R/U) 5th Monash (Prem) 10th
C - OC (R/U) 1st PEGs (Prem) 3rd
Relegated Prem Bernards (10th) OT (9th)
B - Carey (9th)
C - Uni (9th) Preston (10th)
Parkside are the favourites for D2 after losing the D3 GF

Paying more per game should attract more I'd have thought.
What does a premier level u p get paid these days, I umpired in EDFL for 20 years, finishing up 10 years ago as life got too busy with a young family and I started doing the old man calf far too regularly.. but was about $156 a game from memory when I finished up.

I personally never did it for the money, was a good incentive when I was a teen but was always just to stay involved in a game I loved when I realised I wasn’t very good at playing it. I found most of the better umps the money was irrelevant, especially when you consider 2 hours every Tuesday & Thursday, 4 hours on a Saturday and then recovery on a Sunday, the hourly rate from $150 was fairly negligible.. and that’s before you consider expenses like fuel, massage, etc if I had enough left over to cover the footy trip this was a bonus..

These days, particularly for young people, we're competing with a bevvy of options in terms of how potential young umpires spend their Saturdays.

Just because older generations did it as a leisure activity doesn't mean the current are willing to do the same.

If it was a meaningful way to contribute to their lifestyle/pay the groceries whilst at uni etc there is no doubt in my mind we would get more umpires.

If nothing else- we'd be more likely to recruit them across from other leagues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These days, particularly for young people, we're competing with a bevvy of options in terms of how potential young umpires spend their Saturdays.

Just because older generations did it as a leisure activity doesn't mean the current are willing to do the same.

If it was a meaningful way to contribute to their lifestyle/pay the groceries whilst at uni etc there is no doubt in my mind we would get more umpires.

If nothing else- we'd be more likely to recruit them across from other leagues.
I see that 2 very experienced VAFA umpires have left VAFA and gone to Southern Football League.

Beaumaris player points from the weekends game.
22 names = 47/45 points.
#18 (4 pointer) listed as an emergency, has not had his points added to the total /45
The 43/45 total points only reflects 21 players.

Appears the same thing has occurred the previous week when Beaumaris played SBMT.

47/45 the last two weeks.

It all obviously slips through the cracks at VAFA because they are under the 45 points only because the player listed as the emergency does not have his points included in the total which tip them over.

Attachments

• IMG_4351.png
    IMG_4351.png
    170.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
22 names = 47/45 points.
#18 (4 pointer) listed as an emergency, has not had his points added to the total /45

Appears the same thing has occurred the previous week when Beaumaris played SBMT.

It all obviously slips through the cracks at VAFA because they are under the 45 points only because the player listed as the emergency does not have his points included in the total which tip them over.
This is bizarre.
So, they played with 21???

This is bizarre.
So, they played with 21???
No, that’s the issues. Played with the 22 for both rounds 11 and 12, exceeding the points - 47/45.

They have had a 4 point player listed as an emergency for those rounds. When the total team points have been calculated together, the emergencies points have not been included in this total figure.

Hence, undetected until St Bernard’s raised the alarm following their match from the weekend.

This is bizarre.

No, that’s the issues. Played with the 22 for both rounds 11 and 12, exceeding the points - 47/45.

They have had a 4 point player listed as an emergency for those rounds. When the total team points have been calculated together, the emergencies points have not been included in this total figure.

Hence, undetected until St Bernard’s raised the alarm following their match from the weekend.
The club with an elite junior program ffs

22 names = 47/45 points.

In A Grade even the UNIBluesAFL seem to be playing by the rules?

This is bizarre.

Did St Bernards blow the whistle last year as well?

This is bizarre.

FWIW surely there is a reasonable explanation for this? How could you stuff this up after last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back