Free Agency Zac Williams [joins Carlton as an RFA for a 1st round compensation pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Good get for the Blues I reckon.

Exciting player, and once we get back to being able to go to the footy the kids of guy it’s worth turning up to the footy to watch play.

Question - do the Blues continue to use him as a flanker? I seem to remember when injury forced GWS to give him a go in the middle he did well ...

We will use him predominantly as a midfielder. His very best football has been in the midfield, but GWS have always had the luxury of playing him almost exclusively off the half back flank.

We will use him predominantly as a midfielder. His very best football has been in the midfield, but GWS have always had the luxury of playing him almost exclusively off the half back flank.
Can’t believe I’m saying this because the Blues were always my most hated rivals growing up but you guys have been down too long now, and every time you look poised to improve you get struck down by injury.

I hope this works out for you and I can go back to hating the Blues the way the world is supposed to be.😉

Can’t believe I’m saying this because the Blues were always my most hated rivals growing up but you guys have been down too long now, and every time you look poised to improve you get struck down by injury.

I hope this works out for you and I can go back to hating the Blues the way the world is supposed to be.😉
Funny you say this i was actually cheering for the tigers in 2017

Any reasonable Carlton or Richmond supporter wants both clubs competing head to head in finals. That elimination final in 2013 itself was pretty entertaining, and the build up was huge. Can imagine teeing off in a prelim... so rare you get to watch genuine rivalries during the finals.

I was hoping the HFC would have tried to lure him but think he'll be massive for Carlton next season.

All they need is another elite midfielder to assist Cripps and they'll improve rapidly.

I'm surprised they didn't make a bigger play for Tom Mitchell at the end of 2016 to be honest.

ZAC WILLIAMS (GWS)

Draft picks:
First-round compensation pick
Value on open market: $800,000-900,000 per season

Locked in on a long-term deal at Carlton believed to be upwards of $800,000 per season after the Blues edged out North Melbourne for his services. It will net the Giants a first-round compensation pick that will fall after their first selection at pick eight (a selection that's in the possession of the Crows after a trade last year).

800k for Williams

Don't Carlton have anyone else to pay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's remarkable that there are people who genuinely think we'll struggle to pay our players, even if the rumoured amount for Williams is correct.
Even more remarkable from WC supporters where NicNat and friends wages essentially get paid by Hungry Jacks outside the cap

Pretty sure even with Martin's contract heavily front loaded, Carlton still banked spare cap space this year.

That's probably true.

From all reports, we had the room last year to sign all of Coniglio, Papley and Martin. We got one of them and, as you said, front-loaded his contract heavily.

Since then we've re-signed plenty, but only one would be on serious coin - Weitering. The rest would likely only attract a modest salary, and we've also had a couple of players retire.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that we've got a * load of salary cap space for 2021.

That's probably true.

From all reports, we had the room last year to sign all of Coniglio, Papley and Martin. We got one of them and, as you said, front-loaded his contract heavily.

Since then we've re-signed plenty, but only one would be on serious coin - Weitering. The rest would likely only attract a modest salary, and we've also had a couple of players retire.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that we've got a fu** load of salary cap space for 2021.
I think it’s even more reasonable to assume that the (probable) dozen people who make up Carlton's finance department have a better understanding of the cap situation than BigFooty posters

I think it’s even more reasonable to assume that the (probable) dozen people who make up Carlton's finance department have a better understanding of the cap situation than BigFooty posters

Probably, though I’d run a close second.

Good get for the Blues I reckon.

Exciting player, and once we get back to being able to go to the footy the kids of guy it’s worth turning up to the footy to watch play.

Question - do the Blues continue to use him as a flanker? I seem to remember when injury forced GWS to give him a go in the middle he did well ...
With Doc, Saad and Newman, he will most definitely be used in the middle, considering Marchbank and Plowman will be competing for the final spot in defence.
The addition of Saad now allows SPS to go back to the middle. Possible sharing time on a wing with Walsh, which will allow Walsh to spend a bit more time at the coal face, instead of the majority of his time on the wing like he did this year.
And yes, Williams was pretty handy when playing in the middle...
Williams mid.png

With Doc, Saad and Newman, he will most definitely be used in the middle, considering Marchbank and Plowman will be competing for the final spot in defence.
The addition of Saad now allows SPS to go back to the middle. Possible sharing time on a wing with Walsh, which will allow Walsh to spend a bit more time at the coal face, instead of the majority of his time on the wing like he did this year.
And yes, Williams was pretty handy when playing in the middle...
View attachment 979463
Shaping up well. Almost no hateable players in this generation of Blues.

Time was I despised Carlton and Collingwood and has Geelong and North as my second and third favourite teams. Now I find myself quite liking the way the Blues and the Pies play the game (and despising the Roos and the Cats).

You know what would be nice? Beating you lot in a GF. Been waiting a long time for revenge for 1982.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back