Hawthorn - Do they trade into the first round this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Hawks posters can show me a 22 that will win more than 8 games in 2018

I'll believe them when they say it won't take 4 years at least to rebuild

We're tired, we're drained & completely devoid of motivation post the attempted 4-gasm....It's obvious to all & sundry.
I think you're describing Josh Gibson.

Roughy is struggling, Jaeger struggling. Our midfield isn't working together no one has a penetration kick into our forward 50. Birchall comes back helps. Three young lads in Langford, Hartung & Howe shouldn't be playing... O'Rourke, Willsmore & Stewart should be. Gunston should stay forward, Sicily can roam.

If Hawks posters can show me a 22 that will win more than 8 games in 2018

I'll believe them when they say it won't take 4 years at least to rebuild

Look, we have two blokes that need to come in & try & void the lack of class in our midfield. For instance on the weekend, they had ball up scenarios out on the wing, Langford got handballed out to & he was suppose to kick to a leading Breust... missed him completely kicked it straight over his head. Hartung sh*ts himself every time he touches the footy & Howe fumbles to much.

It has me completely confused why Kade Stewart or Brendan Whitecross doesn't get a run. But the two players that really need to be given a crack is O'Rourke & Willsmore. O'Rourke is a better kick than Langford & has been doing alot of inside work at Box Hill, if he was really worth pick 2 in his respective draft he better start showing it now. Willsmore can run & carry abit but not as much as Hilly did, but he can also kick a big goal, has a beautiful kick & thumping.

We don't expect Jaeger to explode this year as we all know he's struggling, but he needs to play, so I think he & Mitchell should hunt the ball & get it out to O'Rourke who can hopefully be the link up player that we need for getting Smith's running game, Birchall or Hardwick to penetrate from HB & Willsmore to even carry some of the load & spread.

Would Hawthorn be keen to trade Frawley back to us? He is what we need now and the Hawks would be desperate for picks, but unsure what they'll do with their backline as they'll have a few guys retire.

Mitchell for 88 wasn't a business trade, it was out of doing a good deed. Duryea can play, just slumpinfmg in form. Some clubs would probably believe they can get the best out of players like Hartung & Duryea.
A good deed that could only generate pick 88.

If Hawthorn (and Clarkson) are so good at developing etc., why would anyone expect to get more out of Hartung and Duryea.

No point....We'll go with what we've got.

We've done well with late picks in the past & will back ourselves to do the same again.

No doubt, we'll snaffle a free-agent or 2 given Mitchell & Lewy's departures & the likely departures of Gibson & Burger freeing up close to $2 million combined.
it's an interesting argument, that you've "done well with late picks in the past", given that it's made by the same folk, generally, who say getting a "known quantity" in JOM was preferable to gambling at the draft on a player with a high pick

A good deed that could only generate pick 88.

If Hawthorn (and Clarkson) are so good at developing etc., why would anyone expect to get more out of Hartung and Duryea.
But are we so good at developing players? I don't think so as such. Some players have worked for us some haven't unless there is a massive change in Duryea's performances then him staying is a possibility. But Hartung he's not what Hawks need.

it's an interesting argument, that you've "done well with late picks in the past", given that it's made by the same folk, generally, who say getting a "known quantity" in JOM was preferable to gambling at the draft on a player with a high pick
Sounds salty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Hawthorn be keen to trade Frawley back to us? He is what we need now and the Hawks would be desperate for picks, but unsure what they'll do with their backline as they'll have a few guys retire.
Probably not, Chip did well in the 2015 Grand Final but that was due to us having Lake. So we need an intercepting marker to help, May is the target to get that deal done that's up to Wrighty

Perhaps you can explain what happened between 1991 and 2004.

Short Synopsis?....We went bankrupt, nearly folded & merged....Struggled for thereafter until Chief, he of unmatched wisdom, found Clarko.

What's the story between 1954 & 2016?

P.S....As for Bevo....You're welcome.;)

High picks are still only a 50/50 proposition.

I've seen posters in here argue that we should trade away all of Breust, Gunston & Cyril for first round picks....How crazy is that?

These guys are genuine talent & we should throw that away for speculative draft picks?....Utter nonsense.

Our current malaise has everything to do with a post mega premiership glut of success....Nothing more nothing less.

Donakebab you call it selling the farm...?

I also think you haven't digested our list enough...

With the likes of Mitchell, Lewis & Hill going at the end of last year... that is 3 of our top inside 50 contributers from the last few years. There skills cannot be replaced with the current players that we have. Which is why our backline is being exposed due to our midfield which has a new group of players that will not gel together until we find that midfielder that can take the pressure off Mitchell & O'Meara abit & also find a outside midfielder that can actually hit a target & help with the inside 50's that can hit a player on the lead instead of being easily read with those high kicks to the square.
I don't think digesting your list right now would be good for anyone's health.

Perhaps you can explain what happened between 1991 and 2004.
Won the flag in 1991
Played finals in 92,93,96,99,00,01 (prelim)
Easily our worst run of season though in that 60 odd year period.

why, do you want him?

He was actually our original choice before Clarko intervened to snaffle Stuart Dew instead....Which of course, delivered us that earlier than expected flag.

It's fair to say that we've coveted him as a player ever since.

He was actually our original choice before Clarko intervened to snaffle Stuart Dew instead....Which of course, delivered us that earlier than expected flag.

It's fair to say that we've coveted him as a player ever since.

assuming you finish below us - your 2nd plus a swap of 3rds (if you still have those picks??)

Just because I want to help you with the rebuild.

Unlike other clubs, it only takes us 4-5 years to re-build: 2004-2008.

No priority picks anymore.:thumbsu:

I'd also argue that the 2004 side was stronger than your current list now.

Better make that 7-8 years if EVERYTHING goes right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back