Hawthorn - Do they trade into the first round this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

assuming you finish below us - your 2nd plus a swap of 3rds (if you still have those picks??)

Just because I want to help you with the rebuild.

Straight swap for Hartung & done.

No priority picks anymore.:thumbsu:

I'd also argue that the 2004 side was stronger than your current list now.

Better make that 7-8 years if EVERYTHING goes right.

That would be most of a list that was striving for a 4-gasm only just last year.:rolleyes:o_O

Mitchell 22
Croad 24
Hodge 20
Williams 21
Crawford 30
Sewell 20
Ladson 20
Campbell 22
Brown 21
Bateman 23
Osborne 22

All 2008 premiership players there before Clarko who had picks 2, 5, then 3, 6 the following year before any trades took place. Some replaceable, some definitely not.

Just as many players from our 2006 flag were there before Worsfold arrived at the end of 2001, and I don't think I've ever heard him described as a master rebuilder. I think Geelong had 9 or 10 new players from 2007 to 2011.

For mine Hawthorn's good recruiting came later on once they were already established as a top side and were recruiting players on a needs basis. Hale, Lake etc.

That would be most of a list that was striving for a 4-gasm only just last year.:rolleyes:o_O

It only takes one year and the loss of a couple of players to become redundant.:rainbow::fearscream::truck::elephant:

Take Sellwood & Dangerfield out of Geelong and they would be in the same boat.:rabbitface::maize::peace::baby:

For mine Hawthorn's good recruiting came later on once they were already established as a top side and were recruiting players on a needs basis. Hale, Lake etc.

Yes. OTHER clubs players.

Mitchell 22
Croad 24
Hodge 20
Williams 21
Crawford 30
Sewell 20
Ladson 20
Campbell 22
Brown 21
Bateman 23
Osborne 22

All 2008 premiership players there before Clarko who had picks 2, 5, then 3, 6 the following year before any trades took place. Some replaceable, some definitely not.

Just as many players from our 2006 flag were there before Worsfold arrived at the end of 2001, and I don't think I've ever heard him described as a master rebuilder. I think Geelong had 9 or 10 new players from 2007 to 2011.

This is silly....There's no way of knowing how many of our current kids are going to be decent players or not....At the end of 2004, no one could have predicted that Sewell would become a very good midfielder, Williams an excellent small forward, Bateman a good wingman & Osborne an accountable forward.

This is silly....There's no way of knowing how many of our current kids are going to be decent players or not....At the end of 2004, no one could have predicted that Sewell would become a very good midfielder, Williams an excellent small forward, Bateman a good wingman & Osborne an accountable forward.

You're forgetting:

Ball, Matthew
Barlow, Kris
Beaumont, Simon
Clarke, Tim
Graham, Mark
Greene, Steven
Holland, Nick
Ladson, Rick
Lekkas, Angelo
Lonie, Nathan
Ries, Nick

We aren't a destination club so may aswell forget about everything. Players wanna play home games on Etihad instead the MCG... Some people know nothing

Nope. Need 2 first round picks within 4 years. Geelong had to get special permission to trade their 2017 first round pick.
Also that's wrong again. The 4 years are periods that start again in 2019, so we can trade our 2019 1st rounder next year if want to.

Everyone is forgetting our performance against Adelaide... which I blame certain players that are trying to do a role they can't do.
You man that performance in round 2 when Adelaide (off a 6 day break) allowed Hawthorn a 5 goal 1st qtr lead before winning by 4 goals.

The capitulation for Hawthorn was there that day as well.

You man that performance in round 2 when Adelaide (off a 6 day break) allowed Hawthorn a 5 goal 1st qtr lead before winning by 4 goals.

I'm sensing many years of salty tears on your behalf at the end of our spankings....Actually, your posting history here kinda betrays that fact bigly....Cheers for Lakey anyhoo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah cause a 6 day break is an excuse. It's a professional game, no matter how long the break is doesn't change how you should perform. If that 6 day break was going to hurt them I'd be in the second half.

Also that's wrong again. The 4 years are periods that start again in 2019, so we can trade our 2019 1st rounder next year if want to.
Check the time stamp. Was said before the AFL announced that particular part, dickhead.

No need for the insult...

Ignorance is even more insulting.

Whats the bigdeal - some rebuilding will be good.

Hawthorn do have some decent kids but not enough so they can all grow together

This is the real issue that a few Hawks supporters are failing to grasp.

They have barely begun a rebuild.

Who are going to be the KPP's that will be complimenting Mitchell & O'Meara in 4-5 years time?

I'm sensing many years of salty tears on your behalf at the end of our spankings....Actually, your posting history here kinda betrays that fact bigly....Cheers for Lakey anyhoo.
Not sure why you would think that.

All I have done about Hawthorn is pre-season predict that they would struggle.
It seems you are the one having difficulty with the current position.

Yeah cause a 6 day break is an excuse. It's a professional game, no matter how long the break is doesn't change how you should perform. If that 6 day break was going to hurt them I'd be in the second half.
Actually Adelaide merely took time to warm up that day.
Nothing in that performance to give Hawthorn credibility.

Ignorance is even more insulting.

This is the real issue that a few Hawks supporters are failing to grasp.

They have barely begun a rebuild.

Who are going to be the KPP's that will be complimenting Mitchell & O'Meara in 4-5 years time?

Burton and O'brien look pretty promising at the moment.

They will draft and trade in a couple and they should be set in that department.

Yes. OTHER clubs players.

This is stupid.

Franklin, Roughead, Mitchell, Lewis, Smith, Sewell, Shiels, Hodge, Birchall, Bruest, Stratton, Rioli is an absolute great drafting department.

Apart from Lake and Burgoyne, you could argue that there recruits didn't have that much impact.

This is stupid.

Franklin, Roughead, Mitchell, Lewis, Smith, Sewell, Shiels, Hodge, Birchall, Bruest, Stratton, Rioli is an absolute great drafting department.

Apart from Lake and Burgoyne, you could argue that there recruits didn't have that much impact.
Problem is with their recent drafting and their apparent desire to avoid the draft.

Problem is with their recent drafting and their apparent desire to avoid the draft.

The "problem" is that when they got to the top they traded early picks for players and stayed on top long enough to win three flags in a row.

Obviously that level of sustained success cannot last forever, but they made the most if their time in the sun.

This slide is inevitable but I wouldn't trade any of the premierships for extra draft picks.

If Hawks posters can show me a 22 that will win more than 8 games in 2018

I'll believe them when they say it won't take 4 years at least to rebuild

Got a Dogs team from 2012? They managed to win a flag 4 years later. 5 wins 2012. 8 wins 2013. 7 wins 2014.

About half the best 22 from 2012 has moved on. How did their list get rated in 2015?

People seem to have this bizarre belief that a single Draft will make or break a club, and that whatever they do right now will affect them for the next 8 or 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back