Autopsy Geelong loses to Sydney by 17 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaz a handy addition, but Taylor the only one that might directly benefit Tuohy?
Possibly. Even being able to switch Stewart onto a small could be enough to release him.
We have won many games in our great days despite losing clearances, and it's not the ruck issue. We don't have the same brilliant rebounding defence led by Mackie, Wojo, Hunt, Harley, Milburn, Boris , Taylor and Scarlett. Let's give these guys time. If Selwood and Danger don't stand up superhumanly, we seem stuffed. It's about time we faced reality- we are a depleted and average list at present.
We don't have that list. Nobody in the comp has a list even close to that one.
We have a list comparable to a lot of finals sides, we're just dipping deeper into atm.

Sorry but it is on the rucks. When you lose the centre clearances by 18 with good inside mids that's on you tap ruckman.
In fact we've only won the clearance and centre clearance counts against the Power, who have worse rucks than we do. We haven't lost anyone from the midfield from last season.

25-17 count today, Heeney not paid the mark was a shocking decision, I could list others. We shall agree to disagreee.

Players drop the ball all the time. Danger does it all the time, never gets pinged.

The return game should be a ripper. Geelong, like the Swans, just refuse to drop and rebuild. That’s why I respect Geelong.

Btw, when Danger drops the ball, he is penalised with a free kick.

We have won many games in our great days despite losing clearances, and it's not the ruck issue. We don't have the same brilliant rebounding defence led by Mackie, Wojo, Hunt, Harley, Milburn, Boris , Taylor and Scarlett. Let's give these guys time. If Selwood and Danger don't stand up superhumanly, we seem stuffed. It's about time we faced reality- we are a depleted and average list at present.

Good summary.

Lots of injuries opens up opportunity to players who otherwise wouldn't get the experience. I think Duncan said we had 10 players under 50 games, that's tough going against any seasoned side. To beat decent sides the pressure seen today in 2nd/3rd quarters is required. The coaches have some work to do in addressing the ruck / clearances.

Possibly. Even being able to switch Stewart onto a small could be enough to release him.

We don't have that list. Nobody in the comp has a list even close to that one.
We have a list comparable to a lot of finals sides, we're just dipping deeper into atm.

Sorry but it is on the rucks. When you lose the centre clearances by 18 with good inside mids that's on you tap ruckman.
In fact we've only won the clearance and centre clearance counts against the Power, who have worse rucks than we do. We haven't lost anyone from the midfield from last season.

No, but Danger is a shadow of his brilliant best, SS missing- we need him to be our best, GHS off, JSelwood average lastQ, Duncan not an inside mid, Parfitt missing- it's just one loss against a MF whose pride was damaged and questioned all week. Sinclair did not dominate hitouts in the lastQ to gift Kennedy- Kennedy was super.

Say want you want about players missing or whatever, but fact of the matter is we were up by 22 points at 3 quarter time on our home ground.

It was an insipid last quarter. I can't help but think we got beaten by a team that wanted to win more.

We have too many guys that don't seem desperate enough and that includes some of our senior players.

There have been multiple chances to 'learn' how to stop a team that gets a run on. It's killed us in finals and it killed us again today.

Hate to say it but can't see us winning a premiership unless our midfield turns it around in a big way.

Hoping once Ablett comes in and the whole group have a run of games together, something changes, otherwise see you next year.

No, but Danger is a shadow of his brilliant best, SS missing- we need him to be our best, GHS off, JSelwood average lastQ, Duncan not an inside mid, Parfitt missing- it's just one loss against a MF whose pride was damaged and questioned all week. Sinclair did not dominate hitouts in the lastQ to gift Kennedy- Kennedy was super.
Ha ha yes he did. Rhys Stanley was complete dogshit in the last quarter.
It's the ruckman. If you cannot see that then you're in the minority who can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not false, I saw the post.

Your mate stated that the mods will hit you with a ban if you dont post anything that is "Guthrie love"....there is a whole thread which you would be intimately acquainted with that is full of criticism of Guthrie and as far as I am aware nobody has been banned because of it...

I'd suggest Patrick you let this topic go through to the keeper....we have far more serious issues facing the Cats right now....like losing 12 centre clearances in a row in the last quarter of todays game.

Right now Guthrie is irrelevant.

Terrible result; the tone was set early with a lazy, entitled first quarter.

The team did manage to fight back strongly in the 2nd quarter, but then just cruised around throughout the 2nd half as if they didn't expect Sydney to mount the kind of gritty challenge that they often do at KP. Rhys Stanley was emblematic of the teams broader issues; absolutely woeful in the 1st quarter before responding surprisingly well in the 2nd. However after Dangerfield said something presumably amusing to him as he lined up for goal in the 3rd he subsequently sprayed the ball out on the full from his set shot and barely fired a shot in anger for the rest of the game.

Dangerfield himself continues to frustrate me like few other 'superstars'; conceded a lazy free kick in the last quarter that led to a Sydney goal; made another critical error afterwards before reeling in a couple of decent contested marks, but by then Sydney had victory well and truly in their sights.

Hawkins and Ratugolea provided strong contests after half time, but our forward line looked one dimensional overall and missed Menzel's creativity.

The midfield was terrible, particularly those stationed in the centre square at the re-starts; Sydney waltzed the ball out of the centre clearances with impunity throughout the 2nd half - our defense just isn't up to copping that kind of incoming pressure without cracking - I thought Blicavs was a bit off the pace in defense; Tuohy is always shaky under pressure (probably my least favourite player), but it all came back to the middle, where Selwood, Dangerfield & co. were comprehensively outplayed and were unable to even minimize the damage.

The only positives were the continued impressive form of our rookies; Ratugolea presented well,competed hard and took some strong grabs. Fogarty's 2nd quarter was instrumental in getting us back in the game. I thought Tim Kelly was our best 4-quarter performer on the day; he has been superb for us in the early rounds.

At 3-3 after the first 6 rounds we're hardly out of the hunt, and yet I just don't see this group challenging in any meaningful way.
There's plenty of time to turn things around, but I don't think CS and the MC are capable of steering the playing group any further than they have last year, or the year before that.

That’s it in one. We are just a middle of the road team. We’ll have the odd terrific win like last week that seduces us into thinking we may be capable of something that we are not. But we are just an average team that may scrape into the finals - possibly win one final at best - but ultimately achieve sfa for yet another year.

Just wish the MC would call time in a few players that are perennial under achievers.

25-17 count today, Heeney not paid the mark was a shocking decision, I could list others. We shall agree to disagreee.

Players drop the ball all the time. Danger does it all the time, never gets pinged.

The return game should be a ripper. Geelong, like the Swans, just refuse to drop and rebuild. That’s why I respect Geelong.
Umpiring not too bad today. Certainly not a factor.

Ha ha yes he did. Rhys Stanley was complete dogshit in the last quarter.
It's the ruckman. If you cannot see that then you're in the minority who can't.

Half true I think.

Completely agree about the ruckmen. But today at least it was also the midfielders. That includes Selwood and Dangerfield too.

Half true I think.

Completely agree about the ruckmen. But today at least it was also the midfielders. That includes Selwood and Dangerfield too.
Scott shouldn't have left Danger forward for so long.
Bluey was right, we need to develop guys for different roles. Hewett tagged today. Didn't start as one.

GHS can tag. Concussed early.
Guthrie can tag. Crutches.
Blicavs can tag. In defence.
Scooter can tag. Not playing.

JPK shouldn't have been allowed to run riot. I'd have sent Menegola to him. Given him the task and told him to be the hero, to be the matchwinner.
I think we missed Selwood and Parfitt today. Arguably our two best tacklers. Some are good tacklers, they're both great tacklers.

We desperately need Taylor or Henderson back. Stewart, Tuohy and Blicavs are battling admirably but that's about where it ends. Kolo is better than people think. It's the 5th and 6th defenders where we really struggle. Time for options like Black as much as I don't like the idea of him playing defence.

Our defence is bottom 4 atm. Teams can score way too easily.
Our defence is the only line on the ground that is actually working, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back