Autopsy Geelong loses to Sydney by 17 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong's greatest midfield ever is currently running at a -8.7 clearance differential, which is by far the worst in the comp. We're only going off a 5-game sample here, but an overall season average hasn't been that bad since Melbourne in 2013. Scott's side has always struggled with clearances and things now look to be reverting to how they were prior to Danger appearing where Geelong gets smashed in the clearances constantly and then has to win the ball back on the rebound.

I would love to know, in all seriousness, if Champion Data record hitouts to disadvantage stats. My perception is that an inordinate number of hitouts Stanley wins, when he does win them, are poorly directed and get sharked by opposition on-ballers. But that's just what my eye in telling me, I could be wrong. Of the 29 hitouts won to three quarter time, 7 were to our advantage, which was only 1 less to Sinclair by that point, but that doesn't mean that the other 22 were to neither teams advantage. Some of them were certainly to Sydney's, the question is how many?

Another thing I'd like to know is the pressure factor - or whatever the metric is called - upon our clearance kicks relative to the average pressure upon opposition clearance kicks. It feels like most of our clearances are scrambled and unclean.

That would be a great stat to have a look at.

I think it was the first quarter (don't think it was the third, I know it was when Sydney were kicking to the river end), the was a throw-in inside the Swans forward 50 and I swear Stanley got a clean tap of the ball out the back to where two Swans players were standing unmarked.

It thankfully didn't cost us a goal, but it was completely stupid from Stanley and a complete lack of awareness

Just feel so empty after this game. So many bad things going on at our club. Hawkins with no confidence, playing in a dysfunctional forwardline with no help. Stanley just a s**t player with no heart. Can't remember a single tap to advantage for the whole game. Selwood and Dangerfield not really having much of an impact. So many injuries to important players that would be having a dig if actually playing. (Menzel, Taylor, Cockatoo, Ablett, Scoot etc) Letting Sydney just waltz in at the last minute to steal a victory from 22 points down = disgusting. Haven't felt this empty in a long time watching this team.

Just feel so empty after this game. So many bad things going on at our club. Hawkins with no confidence, playing in a dysfunctional forwardline with no help. Stanley just a s**t player with no heart. Can't remember a single tap to advantage for the whole game. Selwood and Dangerfield not really having much of an impact. So many injuries to important players that would be having a dig if actually playing. (Menzel, Taylor, Cockatoo, Ablett, Scoot etc) Letting Sydney just waltz in at the last minute to steal a victory from 22 points down = disgusting. Haven't felt this empty in a long time watching this team.

Very much my feeling. Although upon thinking about it more, it's yet again a situation of Sydney kicking 7 goals in a quarter against us, except unlike say the games at KP previously, and the PF in 2016 where they did it in the first and it was a forlorn attempt to catch up from then on, this time it was the last quarter at home, and we coughed up a game that i think when Rogers Results does his stats come Monday, will reveal precious few times in the club's history at home. That just hurts, even if as others have said and they may well be good points, our side has a lot of injuries and perhaps others playing sore, and the lack of continuity and the lighter younger bodies Geelong is having to play (although again, Crameri, Black and Smith would address some of those concerns) we got steamrolled.

BUt it just leaves you with an empty feeling, and in my case too i am really wondering if our players are actually capable of being able to try and handle the new ultra-pressure crunch tackling, rolling maul style of footy that seems to be the way almost all sides play now. Far from the beautiful game Geelong was able to dazzle sides with 10 years ago, where only Lyon, Malthouse and to an extent Clarkson would employ, now it seems to be almost all sides doing it.

Some are crap doing it, like Carlton who score like the era is the 1950's on muddy bog mid-winter grounds, but even last night the mightily talented GWS just mongrels a win by a similar scoreline to Friday night's Dogs/Blues game, just pressure, tackling, rolling mauls. With injuries to a lot of our harder bodied players i don't think the youngsters are just able to take that as well week by week. It's been a theme for Geelong over quite a time now to lose a bloke early, i know Cockatoo certainly has been one who has finished injured in about seven of his 30-odd games, and for various reasons as well such as copping a knock in a tackle or an errant head-hit that sees a player concussed (Selwood vs Ballantyne), Stevie J vs that Crows player or even like last week's S.Selwood hit, we are always down soldiers, and probably haven't had a full list of rotations to finish a game in ages.

So whether our training somehow just doesn't factor that grind in play, or what but it's also something that worries me about where the game is going as well. It's bog-ugly footy, Geelong i think still try to play a good flowing game, but when every team in the comp bash and crashes, the players cop a huge battering weekly. And copping all these injuries really makes me wonder if certainly this year our club can compete fully, as the combination of injuries and limited rotations seems to be affecting Geelong i think a bit more than others. By luck or some special type of training, the Tigers seem to avoid injuries despite playing this game. So as someone said with the sacking of the fitness guy earlier this year, have we hit a Loris Bortolucci moment where we are just not physically capable of enduring with footy how it is?

In any case, i'd almost prefer we try and buck the trend....that series of contested marks was exhilarating in the last quarter, and had that awful fluffed kick into the 50 resulted in a goal to us, it may well have quelled Sydney like a fire extinguisher. But we turned it over and they got a goal on the rebound. But all the running tackling pressure in the world can't work if we can take a contested mark! May we try and be brave and play that way? I don't think we're capable of out-uglying the most crunching, pressure and tackling based game styles. It's not Geelong's DNA.

Culture.
Acceptance of mediocrity at one club, and not at another
They were physical, pushing and bumping our players off the ball and we just stood there and took it.

We are the softest side in the league. No spirit, no ruthlessness and no desire.

Why should he? When is it ever justifiable to promise a 50-50 player 11 games when the other 50-50 player is doing what the coach asks him to do?
I still see a role for both, but Sav has probably ended that notion.
The other player is a 5-95 player.

They were physical, pushing and bumping our players off the ball and we just stood there and took it.

We are the softest side in the league. No spirit, no ruthlessness and no desire.

Yeah, with a couple of our youngsters excepted.

And it’s our 3 biggest guys - Smith, Stanley and Hawkins - who have the least physicality of them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zuthrie’s 4 possession stat game has at least made me feel nostalgic about my own (in)glorious time in the under 16s! Parsons low stat high watching approach also has been bringing back the memories but has spoiled it by kicking goals.

I trust both will get better (and bigger).

Cats tried very hard with more than a third of their team out. They played a very experienced team who were only down a couple of players......
A couple of players like Buddy (FF), Reid (CHF), Melican (CHB), Naismith (No.1 ruck), Towers (this years 2nd ruck) and Henneberry. Yep, just a couple of players out.

The three we bought in this week included a debutant and two others with a dozen games between them. Fairly evenly matched sides for players missing and young players I'd say.

Geelong's greatest midfield ever is currently running at a -8.7 clearance differential, which is by far the worst in the comp. We're only going off a 5-game sample here, but an overall season average hasn't been that bad since Melbourne in 2013. Scott's side has always struggled with clearances and things now look to be reverting to how they were prior to Danger appearing where Geelong gets smashed in the clearances constantly and then has to win the ball back on the rebound.
It’s hardly our greatest midfield ever. To have that, one needs a midfield with everyone at the peak age and peak of their career, ( like early ‘90’s, 2007 etc). That isn’t really what we have. No need to depair though, it can still be a pretty good midfield if it gets everyone on the park and fit.

A couple of players like Buddy (FF), Reid (CHF), Melican (CHB), Naismith (No.1 ruck), Towers (this years 2nd ruck) and Henneberry. Yep, just a couple of players out.

The three we bought in this week included a debutant and two others with a dozen games between them. Fairly evenly matched sides for players missing and young players I'd say.

Yes, good points.

But tread softly here hey? We’re hurting atm

I'm not defending the laydown but clearly there are issues with the team in terms of fitness.

Some players looked utterly stuffed / wounded in the last quarter: Tuohy, Kelly, Fogarty, Cunico all were cooked. Two interstate trips, almost every game a player injured early, plus yet another game where the opposition had an extra day's break (Hawthorn and WCE were the other two). It all adds up. A bruising start to the year.

We’ve also lost a player within game time, for at least the duration of the match, in every game we’ve played so far this season

You saw them push Danger when he was down and not a single cat player to his defence, not even Danger was pushing back

Soft soft soft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back