Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is our second best and fairest. He is a Geelong player for this year at the very least, so we need to back him 100%. Looking forward to his exciting footy again this year. Hately, RCD, Williams, Ely Smith are not and until they are I have nothing to say about them. Particularly in relation to one of our own.
If any of them become Cats players I'll give them the respect they are due.
Don't get me wrong, I have ok feel about all of those guys at different levels
Not sure which of RCD or Hately will grow into good AFL players. A lot of factors to be considered for each
Williams could become a handy big forward (if he improves his kicking). I don't want another KK
Ely I think will grow into a half decent footballer
Kelly is a star
No more to say on that for now

Yeah I think people really do fail to realise how many high draft picks fail. They are constantly overated. Picks 10-20 would have about a 50% success rate and that is only making it as an AFL player. Making it to Kelly's level would be max 2 out of those 10.

Been hearing on the WB board that they might entertain trading out pick 7 to gain 2 later picks before receiving a bid for West.

I would not be surprised at all that we will be the first team trading picks in this draft - given the fact that Wells was also the first to make use of the Carlton/GC priority state league access to obtain Krueger for cheaper than his market worth (KM projected that he would've been picked in the 30s otherwise).

I know that this may seem like overs on our end, but we have to acknowledge that we are desperate for truly top end talent. Pick 7 would allow us to access one of B.King/Caldwell/Smith (personally would love Caldwell) who would otherwise be top 5 prospects in all draft years. I would also back Wells to pick a good player at pick 27 where there are still similarly decent options available compared to pick 12.

So I propose the following trade:

WB picks 7 + 27 <---> Geelong 12 + our future 1st

Keen to hear your thoughts.
Cheers

Whole reason WB are looking to trade is they think they can get B Smith with picks 7-11. They'll look to trade with say GWS, 7 for 11 + 19 so they can get Smith + another youngster before a bid from West comes in. They are trying to have their cake and eat it.

Right now they want one of Smith/Caldwell/King. If they choose Caldwell or King, Smith is likely to now slip to us due to the flight risk (all non-vic teams between WB and us).

So it looks like a real chance of us getting Smith if they don't chose smith (assuming saints don't pick Smith).

So from our perspective, we really, really, realllllllllllly hope WB go BKing or Caldwell and ALSO that no one trades for a pick between WB and us.

Knowing our luck, someone will do a trade after WB pass on Smith and we lose out on him. Where that would not have occurred ever before in any other draft (as this is the first live trading draft). Would add to the melts.

Whole reason WB are looking to trade is they think they can get B Smith with picks 7-11. They'll look to trade with say GWS, 7 for 11 + 19 so they can get Smith + another youngster before a bid from West comes in. They are trying to have their cake and eat it.

Right now they want one of Smith/Caldwell/King. If they choose Caldwell or King, Smith is likely to now slip to us due to the flight risk (all non-vic teams between WB and us).

So it looks like a real chance of us getting Smith if they don't chose smith (assuming saints don't pick Smith).

So from our perspective, we really, really, realllllllllllly hope WB go BKing or Caldwell and ALSO that no one trades for a pick between WB and us.

Knowing our luck, someone will do a trade after WB pass on Smith and we lose out on him. Where that would not have occurred ever before in any other draft (as this is the first live trading draft). Would add to the melts.

That does make sense. Although I read on the PA board that Smith has apparently rejected the idea of going to Geelong as it's not a Melbourne club. That would be staggering if true

Not his decision unfortunately, the missus is calling all the shots and she's going no matter what, thought that was pretty clear by now.

If that was the case they would be moving into a new home in Fremantle now...
So unfortunately those shots she was calling... missed their target u could say....
As home to WA didn't pan out for her ... or so the media would like you to think.
TK will be signing a longer term deal this year. Book it in Danno.
Cheers!

Exactly. Got it in one. We are literally the last club they will entertain trading with

That does make sense. Although I read on the PA board that Smith has apparently rejected the idea of going to Geelong as it's not a Melbourne club. That would be staggering if true
Let’s just go back to zones then if these guys can’t stand to be more than 5mins from where they grew up.
Welcome to geelong Sam Walsh, udon, McHenry etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been hearing on the WB board that they might entertain trading out pick 7 to gain 2 later picks before receiving a bid for West.

I would not be surprised at all that we will be the first team trading picks in this draft - given the fact that Wells was also the first to make use of the Carlton/GC priority state league access to obtain Krueger for cheaper than his market worth (KM projected that he would've been picked in the 30s otherwise).

I know that this may seem like overs on our end, but we have to acknowledge that we are desperate for truly top end talent. Pick 7 would allow us to access one of B.King/Caldwell/Smith (personally would love Caldwell) who would otherwise be top 5 prospects in all draft years. I would also back Wells to pick a good player at pick 27 where there are still similarly decent options available compared to pick 12.

So I propose the following trade:

WB picks 7 + 27 <---> Geelong 12 + our future 1st

Keen to hear your thoughts.
Cheers
That would be great for us, but the HeraldSun today said that it would be likely GWS give them 9 and 11 in exchange for 7. Thing they'd take that in a heartbeat over your suggestion. Would be brilliant to get 7 though

That would be great for us, but the HeraldSun today said that it would be likely GWS give them 9 and 11 in exchange for 7. Thing they'd take that in a heartbeat over your suggestion. Would be brilliant to get 7 though

Even if you do think the top 8 are the elite group that would be a huge amount to give for pick 7 IMHO

Article on the AFL website about the history of pick 12 in the draft:

Geelong will enter this week’s draft with pick 12. Many great players have been selected with this pick and gone on to forge successful AFL careers.

In 1993 the formerly known Brisbane Bears selected current Geelong Coach, Chris Scott with pick 12. Scott played 55 games for the Bears and 160 for the Lions, while managing to help lock down two premierships.

The 2000 draft saw Shaun Burgoyne taken at pick number 12. Currently with 283 games and four premierships to his name, the Hawthorn star has just concluded his 17th season. The 36-year-old was drafted from Port Adelaide where he received a Rising Star nomination in his second year.

Melbourne’s Nathan Jones was selected at pick 12 in 2005 after being drafted from the Dandenong Stingrays.

Recently retired Cyril Rioli is another player among the greats to be selected in the draft at pick 12.

The most recent success from pick 12 has been Carlton’s Charlie Curnow. Drafted in 2015 from the Geelong Falcons, Curnow has shown major potential up forward averaging nearly two goals per game in only a handful of games.

I cut out some of the paragraphs, full article is available here - http://m.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-11-21/history-of-pick-12

If

Walsh
Lukosius
Rankine
King
King
Rozee
Smith
Caldwell
Clark
RCD

Are gone by 12, I think we need to downgrade for a late first + a second.

Freo, gws the options

So you don't rate Butters?...Looks pretty good to me...

If

Walsh
Lukosius
Rankine
King
King
Rozee
Smith
Caldwell
Clark
RCD

Are gone by 12, I think we need to downgrade for a late first + a second.

Freo, gws the options
Don't think we'll be downgrading
I think we'll buy into the second with next years second if that is the case
We would look at hately or butters if that is the case I think (possibly McHenry)

There’s no way our future first rounder should be on the table. It only takes a couple of things to go wrong next season and we could be in line for a pick around the #10 mark.
I wouldn't hesitate swapping a top 10 pick next year for one in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back