Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we? Atm he's serving no purpose to us.
If he hasn't played senior footy by the end of the year and then wants to leave then I wish him good luck.

I still think we retain him if we can because unlike some of our average fringe players (see ghs thurlow etc) he has the talent to become A grade elsewhere but if his body is not up to it id let him go.

I agree with all that except that we will hopefully have some decent picks to work with if TK goes to ontrade for players or to trade up for a single figure high pick.

I agree we will not be left with a Cockatoo type pick.

We will have something of value... you and I have read and participated in the Tim Kelly thread , a thread that at times reminds me of twighlight zone. The range of what we might get in that thread is as wide as Bowler getting called for a wide at the G when bowled he bowlled it into the 4th slip... so we will have something..what ? ehh not sure. 2 late R1's and an R2 back is not unreasonable.

If it was purely the perfomance and the competitiveness of Freo that was an issue ..then they look thisyear to be a realistic opton. Watching them last night V the Dogs ..with 3 forwards just crying out for Kelly like service.. yeah that would be crazy imo not to go hard now for someone to maximize this.The downside is the way they are going ..I cant see them getting a real early pick..its looks to me 8 on..

My two points in that post ..1, The kid Matty Rowell looks a Selwood type player to me..now we know how things settle and shuffle.. there is never a universal agreance on talent. Last year for example .. I liked Rozee yet I heard over and over that this kid or that was the number 1 yet I doubt I heard his name as #1 once. He looks a lot closer to that now..and Lucky Luk , as talented as he is has looked like he is having the tall forwards rough into to afl. Rowell looks good to me..I have no idea what SW would think or who he woudl pick, Traditionally Id say Anderson is more to his palette but he did pick JS so who knows. But #1 or #3 .. its going to be a very early pick to get Rowell ..a pick that it would take a lot to get. The trade of P1 just doesnt seem to happen now..the downside is too much , but lets say North get #1.. do they trade 1 for the picks we get from the Kelly deal. Even if we add our R1 to it. Would 2 R1s ..and a player do it?. Thats one heck of a lot to pay ..my guess is its overs for anyone. And if we get a package of stuff from WC that gives us a R1 this year.. its not improbable that we end up with P17 and P18 this year.. thats not getting us anything too sweet imo.

The other point was just availability. I guess anyone is possible but looking at the OOC.. there really is not much that appeals as someone who can replace TK ..apart from the guys we have mentioned before. If we want someone who is contracted it will be expensive and the clubs will both have to agree.

Other clubs will all have their ideas and plans , perhaps we can utilise them and end up with someone not thought of atm. I certainly think both Ade clubs will be looking for Future picks if they hope to lure SA kids back next year.

Rowell and Anderson yes for sure.

Better than Sam Walsh though? Walsh has acquitted himself to AFL level quicker and at a high-level than any draftee I've ever seen. The kid's averaging 26 touches and 4.5 clearances a game across the first five rounds as an 18-year-old. At this point he's a generational anomaly doing things no other draftee has ever done.

I still think we retain him if we can because unlike some of our average fringe players (see ghs thurlow etc) he has the talent to become A grade elsewhere but if his body is not up to it id let him go.
Cockatoo? I dont see us being the determining factor. I doubt we cut him. The words that CS said in the KRock interview this year was all about long term for him..part of the long lay off is about that. Of Course like any OOC player ..the player may think he is better in another jumper. It would best all round if he gets back into the side this year and makes a memorable impact.

Better than Sam Walsh though? Walsh has acquitted himself to AFL level quicker and at a high-level than any draftee I've ever seen. The kid's averaging 26 touches and 4.5 clearances a game across the first five rounds as an 18-year-old. At this point he's a generational anomaly doing things no other draftee has ever done.

Its speculation .. personally I like what Rozee has done more than Walsh. I hear this quickest thing nearly every year when a kid plays well.. I think Judd and Selwood were as good as anyone. Would I like Walsh at Geelong . Of Course. I think Rowell would be getting a game with us this year..he would be ideal along side Constable to build a new group (imo) Wont happen ..will be long gone by our pick.

What we will have a chance to get is the Geelong Falcon who broke his leg Cooper Stephens( Id be telling him we will take him R2 or there abouts , so dont rush back)

Last edited:
I agree we will not be left with a Cockatoo type pick.

We will have something of value... you and I have read and participated in the Tim Kelly thread , a thread that at times reminds me of twighlight zone. The range of what we might get in that thread is as wide as Bowler getting called for a wide at the G when bowled he bowlled it into the 4th slip... so we will have something..what ? ehh not sure. 2 late R1's and an R2 back is not unreasonable.

If it was purely the perfomance and the competitiveness of Freo that was an issue ..then they look thisyear to be a realistic opton. Watching them last night V the Dogs ..with 3 forwards just crying out for Kelly like service.. yeah that would be crazy imo not to go hard now for someone to maximize this.The downside is the way they are going ..I cant see them getting a real early pick..its looks to me 8 on..

My two points in that post ..1, The kid Matty Rowell looks a Selwood type player to me..now we know how things settle and shuffle.. there is never a universal agreance on talent. Last year for example .. I liked Rozee yet I heard over and over that this kid or that was the number 1 yet I doubt I heard his name as #1 once. He looks a lot closer to that now..and Lucky Luk , as talented as he is has looked like he is having the tall forwards rough into to afl. Rowell looks good to me..I have no idea what SW would think or who he woudl pick, Traditionally Id say Anderson is more to his palette but he did pick JS so who knows. But #1 or #3 .. its going to be a very early pick to get Rowell ..a pick that it would take a lot to get. The trade of P1 just doesnt seem to happen now..the downside is too much , but lets say North get #1.. do they trade 1 for the picks we get from the Kelly deal. Even if we add our R1 to it. Would 2 R1s ..and a player do it?. Thats one heck of a lot to pay ..my guess is its overs for anyone. And if we get a package of stuff from WC that gives us a R1 this year.. its not improbable that we end up with P17 and P18 this year.. thats not getting us anything too sweet imo.

The other point was just availability. I guess anyone is possible but looking at the OOC.. there really is not much that appeals as someone who can replace TK ..apart from the guys we have mentioned before. If we want someone who is contracted it will be expensive and the clubs will both have to agree.

Other clubs will all have their ideas and plans , perhaps we can utilise them and end up with someone not thought of atm. I certainly think both Ade clubs will be looking for Future picks if they hope to lure SA kids back next year.

Freo might have a slightly later R1 but they have better player options. Even if they consider Darcy Cerra and Brayshaw untouchable bc of Sandi and Mundys age they still have OOC players like Langdon and Tucker that would interest us (we wouldnt take either as a straight swap for Kelly but as part of a deal we would). They also have stacks of KPF and we need that, most of them are young enough that they can move Cox Dixon or Taberner in a TK trade without hurting their list build too much. Other players they have recently drafted like North Sturt Valente and Bewley are probably good fits for Geelongs system. Plus they may be willing to trade next years R1 as they have an academy kid coming.

By contrast what do WCE have their R1 this year will probably be 15ish. Most of their good players are contracted so it makes it hard to move them. Outside of their top 15 who they wont trade is there much we would want that they would give? The only realistic ones are Brander Waterman and Allen and because JK is a lot older than Freos talls i doubt WCE will give them up unless they specifically ask to go to Geelong. Cole is a good player but we are stacked in his position so i cant see that. I doubt we will want Venables as much as their supporters think. Williams maybe but his production last year was as poor as Savs hes not worth much. And with live trading any club that wants Kelly can trade up above WCEs R1 and take him so i doubt they can Luke Ball him in the draft or that he will risk it. So to me they need to put this years and next years r1 on the table or how else do they get it done? It will be interesting to see if his partner really wants to get home and still alledgedly will refuse Freo bc of some alledged issue with their players bc right now Freo have about an 8/10 hand full of chips to trade with us and WCE have about 3/10 worth of chips.

Cockatoo? I dont see us being the determining factor. I doubt we cut him. The words that CS said in the KRock interview this year was all about long term for him..part of the long lay off is about that. Of Course like any OOC player ..the player may think he is better in another jumper. It would best all round if he gets back into the side this year and makes a memorable impact.

Fair point he may look to leave despite being offered a contract like McCarthy did we will see.

Freo might have a slightly later R1 but they have better player options. Even if they consider Darcy Cerra and Brayshaw untouchable bc of Sandi and Mundys age they still have OOC players like Langdon and Tucker that would interest us (we wouldnt take either as a straight swap for Kelly but as part of a deal we would). They also have stacks of KPF and we need that, most of them are young enough that they can move Cox Dixon or Taberner in a TK trade without hurting their list build too much. Other players they have recently drafted like North Sturt Valente and Bewley are probably good fits for Geelongs system. Plus they may be willing to trade next years R1 as they have an academy kid coming.

By contrast what do WCE have their R1 this year will probably be 15ish. Most of their good players are contracted so it makes it hard to move them. Outside of their top 15 who they wont trade is there much we would want that they would give? The only realistic ones are Brander Waterman and Allen and because JK is a lot older than Freos talls i doubt WCE will give them up unless they specifically ask to go to Geelong. Cole is a good player but we are stacked in his position so i cant see that. I doubt we will want Venables as much as their supporters think. Williams maybe but his production last year was as poor as Savs hes not worth much. And with live trading any club that wants Kelly can trade up above WCEs R1 and take him so i doubt they can Luke Ball him in the draft or that he will risk it. So to me they need to put this years and next years r1 on the table or how else do they get it done? It will be interesting to see if his partner really wants to get home and still alledgedly will refuse Freo bc of some alledged issue with their players bc right now Freo have about an 8/10 hand full of chips to trade with us and WCE have about 3/10 worth of chips.

Excellent post Pure.

The players mentioned from Freo ..im sure your reasons are sound .. from Freo Id probably say North and Sturt and Dixon interest me. The picks for next year may be easier to get Id say Freo think they are not far from being up there again.. I dont think we have to get kellys replacement in the side from the deal so someone that still has a year or two to develop like Sturt would be enticing. I think we were linked to him? North we have talked about before.. I lesser known Hopper type is my impression with god leadership potential and Dixon ..he would be interesting to talk to.. Where does he think he is fitting over there?Tassy boy its not a go home situation ..but is another one that is probably 3cm short of the ideal. The way i remember him..he was forward who had nous around the ball..but forward pressure , the modern game etc... not sure.

Walsh is a good player but I can think of 5 players in that draft I would take ahead of him
5 is quite a number but I get your point. It would be nice once to be able to have a pick that early to debate the choice on. Im not sure who we would have picked if we had 1..but I suspect it was MKing

He may not even win the RStar

Pretty amazing crop when you think of that. Without checking right now Walsh must be averaging about 25-27 touches a game which is territory to land you an AA guernsey.

I’m guessing Matt Rowell is the best this year?? No chance of geelong somehow getting down to that pick I imagine through TK trade and some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty amazing crop when you think of that. Without checking right now Walsh must be averaging about 25-27 touches a game which is territory to land you an AA guernsey.

I’m guessing Matt Rowell is the best this year?? No chance of geelong somehow getting down to that pick I imagine through TK trade and some.

Rowell and Anderson appear to be out there atm. but it can change and some like Green which complicate things for GWS.. as he could get an early bid. Guy doing phantoms at this tiem of year are brave souls , the champs will help to give one an idea.

Walsh is a very good player who projects as an A grader but Rowell and Anderson have far more talent imo. What Walsh has going for him is super professionalism though which is partly why Carlton took him, he may not end up his clubs best player but he is future captain material IMO and im not sure where the other two rank on that scale.

Will be interesting to see Brander perform today. Despite signing a new contract he’s a player that I’d really like to be part of a deal if one is done with the eagles. Something like:
Eagles 1st pick, a 2nd round pick and Brander for Tim Kelly
That’s a fair trade, I’d still rather have Kelly and it gives Geelong a couple of chances to replace the quality lost.
I’d then trade the 2nd round pick for someone like L.Taylor or D.Parish. We’d be bringing in two quality young players. Then go to the draft with 2 first rounders and the rest Igbo our own picks. I guess depending on the draft you could always trade one of the 1st round picks for a pick next year. That’d give flexibility to trade or draft that year with some players retired or a year older.

Will be interesting to see Brander perform today. Despite signing a new contract he’s a player that I’d really like to be part of a deal if one is done with the eagles. Something like:
That’s a fair trade, I’d still rather have Kelly and it gives Geelong a couple of chances to replace the quality lost.
I’d then trade the 2nd round pick for someone like L.Taylor or D.Parish. We’d be bringing in two quality young players. Then go to the draft with 2 first rounders and the rest Igbo our own picks. I guess depending on the draft you could always trade one of the 1st round picks for a pick next year. That’d give flexibility to trade or draft that year with some players retired or a year older.

I suspect you are going to be disappointed at years end.

Walsh is a very good player who projects as an A grader but Rowell and Anderson have far more talent imo. What Walsh has going for him is super professionalism though which is partly why Carlton took him, he may not end up his clubs best player but he is future captain material IMO and im not sure where the other two rank on that scale.

If we end up losing TK which we most likely will. I wouldn’t mind a scenario where we package up for a very early draft pick. Not sure how likely a scenario that is or if anyone would buy into it.

All for expression of hope and I loved Episode 4 A New Hope...

But this is nothing but hope. As good as TK is WC will never give that up for an OOC player.

GO Catters

I admire the optimism there.

If we end up losing TK which we most likely will. I wouldn’t mind a scenario where we package up for a very early draft pick. Not sure how likely a scenario that is or if anyone would buy into it.

If you were club X and had P5 .. would you trade it for P17 and P18 ... ?

IMO..on points it looks Ok.. 1878 <> 1025+985.. and it would depend on the draft and the needs of club X , and how they rate the draft..
Last three drafts... that would equate to ..
2018; Rozee <> Sturt and Dursma
2017; Cerra <> Higgins and Starcvich
2016; Setterfield <> Berry and Powell-Pepper

I still think it would not be easy to trade for but take the emotion out of it you would say you have a chance of getting one or two good players compared to one. Any earlier than 5 ..id say it may be VERY difficult to get a trade.

Last edited:
If you were club X and had P5 .. would you trade it for P17 and P18 ...

IMO..on points it looks Ok.. 1878 <> 1025+985.. and it would depend on the draft and the needs of club X , and how they rate the draft..
Last three drafts... that would equate to ..
2018; Rozee <> Sturt and Dursma
2017; Cerra <> Higgins and Starcvich
2016; Setterfield <> Berry and Powell-Pepper

I still think it would not be easy to trade for but take the emotion out of it you would say you have a chance of getting one or two good players compared to one. Any earlier than 5 ..id say it may be VERY difficult to get a trade.

If rumors are true he is now more open to the idea of Fremantle then possibly a pick around the 6-12 range depending how Fremantle end up seasons end plus our first may tempt someone low down? Say pick 7 and our first for pick 1 or 2.

Whoever has 1 or 2 would have to at least give it some thought if they rate the depth of the draft.

If we identify a very good midfielder low down the order I wouldn’t mind replacing him that way instead of chasing through trades.

We need to not only think of Kelly’s replacement but also selwoods replacement as he doesn’t have many years left.

Last edited:
If rumors are true he is now more open to the idea of Fremantle then possibly a pick around the 6-12 range depending how Fremantle end up seasons end plus our first may tempt someone low down? Say pick 7 and our first for pick 1 or 2.

Whoever has 1 or 2 would have to at least give it some thought if they rate the depth of the draft.

If we identify a very good midfielder low down the order I wouldn’t mind replacing him that way instead of chasing through trades.

We need to not only think of Kelly’s replacement but also selwoods replacement as he doesn’t have many years left.

P1 to P5 ..I honestly doubt it. imo. It would have to involve picks and a known , a best22 player that they rate... and Id say SW would rate himself at getting 2 good players rather than one.

P1 to P5 ..I honestly doubt it. imo. It would have to involve picks and a known , a best22 player that they rate... and Id say SW would rate himself at getting 2 good players rather than one.

Or possibly pick 2. Depends on the perceived quality of the draft. Carlton have away their first pick this season for last years pick 19 to get Liam stocker. I agree it probably wouldn’t happens but a lot would depend on the perception of the draft by both clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back