Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I completely agree with everything you've written.

If Lewis Taylor isn't playing a significant role in that side by the end of the year and he's out of contract, I don't think he'll be worth much. There's also a trading history of relative goodwill between the clubs, too.

Fair point on both counts too I completely agree with you. If i had a top 30 pick I'd rather be trading that for talls but anything later than that (ie cheap like we gave McCarthy to them) i'd definitely do.

He is a good chance from what i have seen. Endurance, good size, good attack at the man and ball, can deliver. Of the new batch he is as well placed as any.
[edit- forgot Clark]
Does look a bit like he needs to go to the Tom Hawkins School of Eating Lots and Lifting Things

... Apparently , The Age podcast reported that Tim Kelly's manager toured the Fremantle FC facilities recently ... I suppose they are being a little more switched on this year...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04...de-update-on-tomlinson-martin-kelly-and-more/

Tim Kelly (Geelong)

“The Cats behind the scenes are expecting him to again request a trade.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04...de-update-on-tomlinson-martin-kelly-and-more/

Nothing really new here... except id say the last couple of years the media have seemed to get hold of info (player managers imo) if we are interested in a player at the end of the year... yet Im yet to read anything that says we are looking at someone serious.

Haw and Freo linked to Coniglio. Haw using JOM to lure Coniglio ?I doubt Freo has money for Conglio and Kelly ? And Stk is continully linked... to just about everyone..Martin would be a good get for them. Obviously they see Hannaberry as just the thin end of the edge..they wish to leverage their form and the move back to Morrabbin.. which listening to guys like DalSanto and Riewoldt was dire. So plenty of noise out there , even this early yet... I have not read anything.

Its interesting that West Coast have selected Brander and Venebles this week... "Fattening the Calf ?" "Showing a bit of leg?" Not sure ..but its not a myth that players who performs well V a side often gathers their attention. Perhaps guys like these are a good outcome .. the time put in and the picks used ..one would have to be very sure of who we are going to pick to at draft. Brander P13 2017 , Venebles P13 2016.. I have a slight reluctance.. when was the last time we ever got a good player of wc?

As I have stated before I believe in youth , what we have done this year has been great reward for bringing in talent younger than 24. I look at Port and applaude their efforts.. they appear to have really nailed their picks. Id be happy to use any picks we get from Kelly at the draft and then look at where we are in 2020. The counter to this ..draft strength this year? And if we had a chance to get a rare type player. I could understand why we would go for a player with AA selection potential.

Id doubt anyone thinks Geelong pulled the wrong reign getting Danger. A level down from this 2E and Ablett (even at his age) appear to been clever draft shuffles which really have not hurt us.Henderson is probably debatable...if he was a FA it would have been fine. Obviously there will be some sort of baragin type around that we could get cheap , this time last year I doubt any of us though Rohan would be our best goal kicker..

If Kelly requests the trade it probably gets down to what picks we can get from WC... I doubt WC finish low enough to give us a single figure pick.

To be fair WCE are probably playing Brander because with Barass out long term it makes sense to get a few games into someone who could cover KPD if he's not back for finals (I prefer him CHF but they probably feel he can play well at CHB too). With him being contracted I doubt they put him on the table unless he specifically requests a trade to Geelong. If WCE finish top 4 their R1 this year wont be good enough for TK, they would probably need to put this year's R1 and next year's R1 on the table (with us maybe sending something back) to get it done..Freo have better picks and players they are probably actually willing to trade to get it done for TK.

Don't disagree but even if Wells had liked him I doubt he would have picked him up straight after going through the trade period saga with Kelly.
Mm, an individual's situation doesn't have much to do with the next individual's situation, though. Past performance is not reliable indicator of yadda yadda...

I think this is the last year where we could be in premiership contention, simply on the basis of Dangerfield, Selwood, GAJ and Hawkins moving into the decline end of their careers, and Kelly's imminent departure.

I'd be happy to take what we can to the draft, and tinker round the edges with free agency to keep ourselves competitive. There's a few I'd like to look at:
- Brandon Ellis - RFA, and was undeservedly dropped for the finals last year. Also seemingly fits the Good Bloke criteria.
- Coniglio and Tomlinson, obviously (but good luck).
- Liberatore could be worth a look if he wants a fresh start.

I'm normally a draft first kind of guy and still am but Selwood PD and Hawk are generational players you could go 50 years with single figure picks and not necessarily draft guys of that calibre again so if we get close (ie make a prelim) and those guys are still in good shape to me theres a case to trade aggressively if we can pinch a flag while we still have them.

Ellis as a rule I am not a fan because he has a poor contested game and i think those types of players are limited but he is a good character person and if Cunico and Parsons fail and TK goes we lack depth in the wing position (unless Clark ends up there) which is probably his best spot. That's the only reason I'd consider him that and Richmond I doubt will have the cap space to match an offer.

I like Libba but doubt he will pass our character test.

Tomlinson would be ok if you think he plays better forward if he's better as a KPD pass.

Coniglio would be great but 16 other clubs will be lining up for him and Josh Kelly (yes I know he will cost 2 first rounders and Coniglio won't) is a better fit IMO if we are bringing someone in on more than 1mil PA wages.

Mm, an individual's situation doesn't have much to do with the next individual's situation, though. Past performance is not reliable indicator of yadda yadda...

To be fair the only pick we had before Parker was Clark (15) and no one would have picked him that early.

NEXT YEAR. He is still finding his feet but shows potential. Has a great tank

I think he might get a game or two this year if he keeps playing well but i dont see him becoming a regular until next year at least.

We should trade for Coniglio as he is a quality midfielder that can kick goals and offers leadership qualities. I think he is out of contract end of 2019 and will be a RFA and is a quality midfielder.

Could be our Kelly replacement should we loose him.
He would cost more because of the competition for his services but would be well worth it.

We should trade for Coniglio as he is a quality midfielder that can kick goals and offers leadership qualities. I think he is out of contract end of 2019 and will be a RFA and is a quality midfielder.

Could be our Kelly replacement should we loose him.
He would cost more because of the competition for his services but would be well worth it.

Every club will compete for him and i doubt he leaves gws anyway. I think Josh Kelly is more realistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm normally a draft first kind of guy and still am but Selwood PD and Hawk are generational players you could go 50 years with single figure picks and not necessarily draft guys of that calibre again so if we get close (ie make a prelim) and those guys are still in good shape to me theres a case to trade aggressively if we can pinch a flag while we still have them.

Ellis as a rule I am not a fan because he has a poor contested game and i think those types of players are limited but he is a good character person and if Cunico and Parsons fail and TK goes we lack depth in the wing position (unless Clark ends up there) which is probably his best spot. That's the only reason I'd consider him that and Richmond I doubt will have the cap space to match an offer.

I like Libba but doubt he will pass our character test.

Tomlinson would be ok if you think he plays better forward if he's better as a KPD pass.

Coniglio would be great but 16 other clubs will be lining up for him and Josh Kelly (yes I know he will cost 2 first rounders and Coniglio won't) is a better fit IMO if we are bringing someone in on more than 1mil PA wages.

A difficult task I agree , even when you get really good players they are not all the same. Walsh looks good but I dont see a Selwood. However from what I have seen so far of the youthful talent this year .. I think the kid thats projected as #1 may well be a possible Selwood type replacement... but just how do you get the picks for that... and who would you have to trade with ..bit hard to tell atm. Even if we want to trade aggressively to get a pick that early its is almost impossible for a club to cough it up.

To get a replacement for TKelly will take more than just trading aggressively ..it will take a range of things including luck. A player of that status being available ..and willing to come to us.... Id say the odds are not in our favour.

I think he might get a game or two this year if he keeps playing well but i dont see him becoming a regular until next year at least.

How good does he look at VFL?? Has he surpassed expectations??

I am skeptical because he slipped so low down the draft list. Have not seen him play at VFL this year

Remember bomber telling a lot down at the club this when he was around and a lot used to laugh but I feel there is good truth to it.

Said geelong should target a lot of the players who love to surf since geelong had world class surfing beaches.

Any footy players who love to hit the waters for a surf we can target?? The lifestyle would be a sell for them.

A difficult task I agree , even when you get really good players they are not all the same. Walsh looks good but I dont see a Selwood. However from what I have seen so far of the youthful talent this year .. I think the kid thats projected as #1 may well be a possible Selwood type replacement... but just how do you get the picks for that... and who would you have to trade with ..bit hard to tell atm. Even if we want to trade aggressively to get a pick that early its is almost impossible for a club to cough it up.

To get a replacement for TKelly will take more than just trading aggressively ..it will take a range of things including luck. A player of that status being available ..and willing to come to us.... Id say the odds are not in our favour.

I agree with all that except that we will hopefully have some decent picks to work with if TK goes to ontrade for players or to trade up for a single figure high pick.

Remember bomber telling a lot down at the club this when he was around and a lot used to laugh but I feel there is good truth to it.

Said geelong should target a lot of the players who love to surf since geelong had world class surfing beaches.

Any footy players who love to hit the waters for a surf we can target?? The lifestyle would be a sell for them.

It worked with Danger and Hendo who both love that so hopefully can work again.

Every club will compete for him and i doubt he leaves gws anyway. I think Josh Kelly is more realistic.
I'd love either Coniglio or Kelly, especially if TK leaves but for some reason I dont think we're a chance for either of them ( hope I'm wrong ).

I suppose we can bleed in youth in the Midfield. Fogarty hope can do a preseason next year. Brownless gets another season under him. Parfitt be more damaging next year after a solid start this year.
Who knows, we may find a TK replacement in a State League this year and get him in the draft.

How good does he look at VFL?? Has he surpassed expectations??

I am skeptical because he slipped so low down the draft list. Have not seen him play at VFL this year

He's developing well, still needs to put some size on but he has really good endurance and you can see his game smarts and good decisions. I think he'll be a decent player after a year or two.

Oh dear we are going to get well shafted on this one
Are we? Atm he's serving no purpose to us.
If he hasn't played senior footy by the end of the year and then wants to leave then I wish him good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back