Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozee has been better than Walsh so far and Rozee would be leading RS

Would say Walsh is ahead. Been elite every game and averaging 26 touches a game in. Poor side. Rozee has not been as consistent. Kicked a bag of 5 but outside of that has kicked 4 goals in 5 games as a forward.

He would be behind Walsh. Walsh could justify a spot in the AA squad right now

While it’s very likely I’ll be upset with any trade that involves Kelly because I think he is going to keep improving. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think he could become one of the best players in the game. Eagles first round pick assuming they get better isn’t going to be good enough. Brander is far down the eagles pecking order and hasn’t shown enough to be anything more than steak knives. And a second round pick is speculative. If as reported Kelly is open to freo or eagles the eagles will have to put up a decent trade.
On the form and trajectory of the teams if I was Kelly I’d look to freo. They have a real need for him. The only issue is having to play for Ross Lyon.

If rumors are true he is now more open to the idea of Fremantle then possibly a pick around the 6-12 range depending how Fremantle end up seasons end plus our first may tempt someone low down? Say pick 7 and our first for pick 1 or 2.

Whoever has 1 or 2 would have to at least give it some thought if they rate the depth of the draft.

If we identify a very good midfielder low down the order I wouldn’t mind replacing him that way instead of chasing through trades.

We need to not only think of Kelly’s replacement but also selwoods replacement as he doesn’t have many years left.
Based on the year so far I'd say TK would be requesting Freo as a first preference

Freo might have a slightly later R1 but they have better player options. Even if they consider Darcy Cerra and Brayshaw untouchable bc of Sandi and Mundys age they still have OOC players like Langdon and Tucker that would interest us (we wouldnt take either as a straight swap for Kelly but as part of a deal we would). They also have stacks of KPF and we need that, most of them are young enough that they can move Cox Dixon or Taberner in a TK trade without hurting their list build too much. Other players they have recently drafted like North Sturt Valente and Bewley are probably good fits for Geelongs system. Plus they may be willing to trade next years R1 as they have an academy kid coming.

By contrast what do WCE have their R1 this year will probably be 15ish. Most of their good players are contracted so it makes it hard to move them. Outside of their top 15 who they wont trade is there much we would want that they would give? The only realistic ones are Brander Waterman and Allen and because JK is a lot older than Freos talls i doubt WCE will give them up unless they specifically ask to go to Geelong. Cole is a good player but we are stacked in his position so i cant see that. I doubt we will want Venables as much as their supporters think. Williams maybe but his production last year was as poor as Savs hes not worth much. And with live trading any club that wants Kelly can trade up above WCEs R1 and take him so i doubt they can Luke Ball him in the draft or that he will risk it. So to me they need to put this years and next years r1 on the table or how else do they get it done? It will be interesting to see if his partner really wants to get home and still alledgedly will refuse Freo bc of some alledged issue with their players bc right now Freo have about an 8/10 hand full of chips to trade with us and WCE have about 3/10 worth of chips.
I thought cats were a sneaky chance to take Sturt last year. Glad they called Clark though.

I thought cats were a sneaky chance to take Sturt last year. Glad they called Clark though.

To be fair Clark wasnt predicted to still be there at our pick and if he wasnt we may well have taken Sturt. Strikes me as the type of player Geelong would rate.

All the wc youngsters being touted as kelly trade bait looked terrible. Wouldn’t want any of them based on todays performances.

A lot of those young players are better than they showed today but it dont have any more than steak knives value in a trade.

Also we need a quality winger and a bankable kpf prospect...i doubt WCE have any of those that they are willing to offer whereas Freo are likely to which makes them a better trading partner for us with TK. WCE will want to get their hands on better picks than what they have if they want TK.

Or possibly pick 2. Depends on the perceived quality of the draft. Carlton have away their first pick this season for last years pick 19 to get Liam stocker. I agree it probably wouldn’t happens but a lot would depend on the perception of the draft by both clubs.

Carlton actually traded their 2019 R1 <> Adelaide 2018 P19 + Adelaide 2019 R1.. So at this years draft Blues will pick from Crows position and Crows will pick from Blues position. As of last week.. instead of P4 Blues had P7.. so basically as it stands ..the trade was 2019 P4 <> 2019 P7 & 2018 P19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton actually traded their 2019 R1 <> Adelaide 2018 P19 + Adelaide 2019 R1.. So at this years draft Blues will pick from Crows position and Crows will pick from Blues position. As of last week.. instead of P4 Blues had P7.. so basically as it stands ..the trade was 2019 P4 <> 2019 P7 & 2018 P19

Ah yes corrected on that.

Might be worth us looking at John patton if his not a lock for hawthorn already behind the scenes.

Do we have any chance at coniglio? Or a player like jack martin??

Will be interesting to see who we target that doesn’t cost us the world.

Ablett isn’t getting younger, kelly is leaving and selwood isn’t getting younger either.

We will have a bit of a gap in the midfield department soon to fill with quality

Might be worth us looking at John patton if his not a lock for hawthorn already behind the scenes.

Ablett isn’t getting younger, kelly is leaving and selwood isn’t getting younger either.

We will have a bit of a gap in the midfield department soon to fill with quality

Martins probably a chance because his missus is from Vic.

Pattons all about the trade price-he has a year to run on a big money deal and huge injury risk...if hes a cheap trade ala Scully sure take a flyer but otherwise i would say no if they want a good pick.

Midfield gap that develops is hopefully on the way to being handled two ways at a min. One draft and develop ie Constable ..the slower method but the better way to increase depth. Id say Brownless is also a chance for mid but we will need to continue to add .. and we need to add some quality if its Selwood etc that you will be replacing. The second method is trade in..FA or not , it can give you instant impact but perhaps not last as long.
Unless we strike gold with a bargain..its going to be hard to replace Selwood.As someone that has seen champs come and go.. what tends to happen you almost take them for granted till they are gone. This years approach has been to start before we need to ..excellent idea for mine. Losing Kelly at his age will hurt...but its like injury ..its unfortunate but out of ones control.And if WC think Brander equals Kelly.. today showed he is ...not.

So yes if we can can get a JKelly quality player im sure they would look at it .. but I mostly think someone of that standard will not come. Danger was unusual in that he was of such a high standard..but he was very representative of our recent trades. He is the #1 Boomerang of the Boomerang Falcons.
To get Coniglio or Kelly etc would be quite different from our recent trades.

What type of mid do you think we're most in need of?

Personally, I don't think we're so much in need of a pure inside bull. Aside from a KPF, which is clearly our #1 need, the priority should be an inside/outside mid with a bit of acceleration to run away from stoppages. Parfitt and Chook are the future of our midfield but neither of their qualities fit the profile I described...Parfitt uses evasiveness and smarts to weave his way through tight spaces, and Constable is a pure distributor imo. Both hugely promising kids but I think if we don't develop a more explosive player to complement them after Kelly is gone and Danger is starting to spend more time in the forward line, there's a risk we'll start to look one-paced. The solution may already lie on our list already if Narkle fulfills his talent, as he has all the attributes to be the type of player I'm alluding to, but it's hard to say whether he'll make it yet given how little exposure to AFL he's had.

Midfield gap that develops is hopefully on the way to being handled two ways at a min. One draft and develop ie Constable ..the slower method but the better way to increase depth. Id say Brownless is also a chance for mid but we will need to continue to add .. and we need to add some quality if its Selwood etc that you will be replacing. The second method is trade in..FA or not , it can give you instant impact but perhaps not last as long.
Unless we strike gold with a bargain..its going to be hard to replace Selwood.As someone that has seen champs come and go.. what tends to happen you almost take them for granted till they are gone. This years approach has been to start before we need to ..excellent idea for mine. Losing Kelly at his age will hurt...but its like injury ..its unfortunate but out of ones control.And if WC think Brander equals Kelly.. today showed he is ...not.

So yes if we can can get a JKelly quality player im sure they would look at it .. but I mostly think someone of that standard will not come. Danger was unusual in that he was of such a high standard..but he was very representative of our recent trades. He is the #1 Boomerang of the Boomerang Falcons.
To get Coniglio or Kelly etc would be quite different from our recent trades.

Speaking of the boomerang falcons. Wonder if any of Matthew ling paddy McCartin Sean darcy or Alex witherden could be drawn back home.

Ling hasn’t played a game and may be a realistic chance.. I didn’t bother with curnow as I feel there is probably zero chance and would need to sell the entire club to Carlton for that.

Mccartin ling and Darcy I can imagine may be more gettable than witherden pending his happiness up there.

Also note I didn’t take the time to check up all their contract status before posting either.

What type of mid do you think we're most in need of?

Personally, I don't think we're so much in need of a pure inside bull. Aside from a KPF, which is clearly our #1 need, the priority should be an inside/outside mid with a bit of acceleration to run away from stoppages. Parfitt and Chook are the future of our midfield but neither of their qualities fit the profile I described...Parfitt uses evasiveness and smarts to weave his way through tight spaces, and Constable is a pure distributor imo. Both hugely promising kids but I think if we don't develop a more explosive player to complement them after Kelly is gone and Danger is starting to spend more time in the forward line, there's a risk we'll start to look one-paced. The solution may already lie on our list already if Narkle fulfills his talent, as he has all the attributes to be the type of player I'm alluding to, but it's hard to say whether he'll make it yet given how little exposure to AFL he's had.

Usually with discussions I’m not as engrossed in the individuals of our side but more so the tactical aspects going on behind the ball and around the structures, but lately I haven’t had as much time to sit down and look at all of that stuff as it takes a bit of effort. But I don’t mind a dabble into list management talk here and there, but turbo and pure ownage are all over that year round to a quality standard.

The way I perceive the balance of things and how we need to structure our side moving forward is lacking for mine a genuine A grade gun midfielder coming through. A strong explosive physical type ( are as rare as hens teeth I know) or a physical contested mid.

I feel like once we are looking down the barrel of potentially losing 3 A grade midfielders in the next 2-3 years in dangerfield kelly selwood... that will sting badly and be felt.

Maybe we can turn Jordan Clarke into an A grade wingman down the track like an Isaac smith style player.

Just need to keep injecting elite midfield talent into our side given what we are potentially going to lose that is generational quality.

Speaking of the boomerang falcons. Wonder if any of Matthew ling paddy McCartin Sean darcy or Alex witherden could be drawn back home.

Ling hasn’t played a game and may be a realistic chance.. I didn’t bother with curnow as I feel there is probably zero chance and would need to sell the entire club to Carlton for that.

Mccartin ling and Darcy I can imagine may be more gettable than witherden pending his happiness up there.

Also note I didn’t take the time to check up all their contract status before posting either.

Ling is unproven could just be a first round bust.

Mccartin is finished with the concussions i think they probably just need to work out a contract settlement with him.

Darcy they wont trade with Sandi retiring and hes contracted.

Same situation with Brisbane and Hodge and witherden. Lewy Taylor might be gettable though.

Ling is unproven could just be a first round bust.

Mccartin is finished with the concussions i think they probably just need to work out a contract settlement with him.

Darcy they wont trade with Sandi retiring and hes contracted.

Same situation with Brisbane and Hodge and witherden. Lewy Taylor might be gettable though.

What does Taylor bring? First thought , I think id rather persist with Meirs but if we lost Kelly I guess he comes into calculation... but he certainly doesn't fill his role as Taylor is as outside as on zest on an orange. He looks good at times no doubt.

Its players like Constable imo , meat and potatoes guys , ones at the sweet meat of the contest. Its why I say Rowell appears to be ideal..as he would be that but at an elite level. He is not one of the modern super big mids , so I'm sure we could look other names at draft as well. Kemp for example.. I think it will pan out as the year continues. The guys we added last year.. I dont see them as Constables . Jarvis , Kennerley , Tarca have been picked for alt reasons.The forgotten Fogarty when he come back is still a potential mid imo.. but we need to keep adding... cause the foundation confidence you get by having a Constable in the side..it clarifies a future path. Im mentally writing off Cockatoo till he make me eat my words. I hope he does but we can no longer put him in expected outcomes imo. Guys like Cunico and Simpson as well Im just not sure on them. To me if they are getting games..then your standard is probably a low one.

The more mature instant adds , either cheap or cheapish .. ie Taylor. Im not sure who is getting the hard ball in our VFL this year.. id think someone like Gore should stand out if he is worth his salt. Every year there is someone like Atkins , that has been over looked for this years Rowell. Not sure who but they are out there. We have shown we can also add names that do not need that length of development. . Atkins looks to have more potential for the middle than I thought. I loved the way he brushed some tackles yesterday. And he has years of footy ahead of him..he has been picked (maybe at tad late) to add from day 1 and he is doing that. So can Taylor be one of our Dahls etc? Maybe. I watched Caleb Daniel for the Dogs just use his foot skills to hit up players with surgical precision ..so I watched Taylor with that in mind. He has that sort of game..he even looks a flashy type when kicking. I guess if we lost Kelly he could do a role if we got him cheap. I see Brownless as a link type mid.. certainly has not got that type of skill by foot but he does get around the ground with smarts.

Im not panicking about the 2 or 3 A graders that we are going to lose...atm. We can tackle it with a bit of now and a bit of down the road... and we continue to finesse our list. Last year I doubt we would have the names in our side that we have.. I bet by this time next year we will not have the same 22 either. This years draft is chockers with mids..I say we should be able to grab one. Just how early we need to be is a SW calc.

As it stands .. I think we will have a few options if we take 2 r1's to draft. Maybe for an in draft trade. So one like Adelaide ..who we have done deals with before... it could be interesting to see what it would take to get the Car pick they own...a discussion for later in the year..but I feel the SA teams will have a liking for early 2020 picks.

Im glad to say the melts on here have not quite got to this level yet when SW calls out a name .... talk about making it hard for the player you have just drafted.. Daz might know more than if the kid is good or not... but it seems there is a danger in build up and the expectation of a certain pick going a certain way can almost force a club to pick a certain player... and if they dont .. melt time.

When did Wells start as #1 in RD? Has he ever had a #1? Was he there for the Hooper call? Its been 12 years min since we have had a single figure pick... I could imagine that there would be some sort of reaction that if we finally get one and we picked a kid that was rated in phantoms in R2 or R3.

How many early picks have been the one's you have to almost MUST pick .. and have ended up being failures or journeymen ... while players that are the slight dulled or under the radar etc. get picked late ..and one looks back and say how the heck did they get to there.

2008 1 Jack Watts <> 44 Rory Sloane
2009 2 Jack Trengrove <> 28 Mitch Duncan , 46 Ben Straton
2010 2 Harley Bennell <> 33 Jermey Howe , 40 Luke Parker
2011 5 Matty Buntine <> 58 Lochie Neale
2012 4 Jimmy Toumpas <> 18 Brodie Grundy , 46 Tim Membery

Now it would have been insane brave for Melb to pick Mitch Duncan at 2 but now Duncan V Trengrove.. Its far easier when you are looking back thats for sure.

So I look at where our side this year has been rebranded and enhanced. So far we are doing it almost as a Moneyball refresh.
Clark at 15
Constable at 36
Miers at 57
trade in of Rohan at 61
FA of Dahl
MOC .. Rookie B

the Cats v Westcoast game confirmed to me that Venables is a complete spud. Offers nothing, can't find the footy, no particular strength... complete bust of a R1 pick. Offers zero value and cannot be considered in any potential TK trade.

Brander has also shown absolutely zero in his career so far. Did nothing yesterday either.. in fact the only thing I recall was him kicking straight to a cats player and turning it over. Is not a natural forward and looks a 2nd/3rd tall defender. He slipped down the order in his draft year as he doesn't have any elite qualities. Would also avoid.

Assuming TK wants to go home then we trade with Freo (better pick) or we demand WC's 2019 R1 + their 2020 R1.. with us maybe throwing back a future R2.

Their fringe is crap and they won't trade a good player.

the Cats v Westcoast game confirmed to me that Venables is a complete spud. Offers nothing, can't find the footy, no particular strength... complete bust of a R1 pick. Offers zero value and cannot be considered in any potential TK trade.

Brander has also shown absolutely zero in his career so far. Did nothing yesterday either.. in fact the only thing I recall was him kicking straight to a cats player and turning it over. Is not a natural forward and looks a 2nd/3rd tall defender. He slipped down the order in his draft year as he doesn't have any elite qualities. Would also avoid.

Assuming TK wants to go home then we trade with Freo (better pick) or we demand WC's 2019 R1 + their 2020 R1.. with us maybe throwing back a future R2.

Their fringe is crap and they won't trade a good player.

Its hard to argue with your assessment of V and B ... but there were about 15 Premiership players running around looking like VFL good ordinaries.. I dont think too many played to their best. I wonder how Gaff would have looked in our side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back