Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
even for them there will be some sort of fall out as they take someones spot
I agree with this, depending on who is possibly in the VFL and deserving of a place.

Brownless and Narkle are probably going to be ready for a run in senior footy next year, and hopefully the cards fall ok for Fogarty and Cockatoo. given the number of outs we expect, there's probably room.

I agree with this, depending on who is possibly in the VFL and deserving of a place.

Brownless and Narkle are probably going to be ready for a run in senior footy next year, and hopefully the cards fall ok for Fogarty and Cockatoo. given the number of outs we expect, there's probably room.

To some degree the the RD job is just to bring in talent and let the cards fall where they may.. I suspect there is more than one thing that has changed since we built a fresh list 20 yo again..but one obvious thing is lead time is far less... you really cant have listed guys taking 6 years to come good. Thurlow V 2e.. which is better value

Depends on what you mean by "come good". Ablett was serviceable enough to be a good AFL player between 2001 and 2007, but...
Simpson , Vardy , Brown , Hamling ..... Im sure I could find others but you get my point. Miers presents as a great example of someone a bit raw who has come on.. I think two years is fair... not giving something by year three.. then its probably also fair to question their drafting.

Simpson , Vardy , Brown , Hamling ..... Im sure I could find others but you get my point. Miers presents as a great example of someone a bit raw who has come on.. I think two years is fair... not giving something by year three.. then its probably also fair to question their drafting.
I reckon that rule works for small players who get a reasonably clear run at footy - Murdoch, Parsons, et al. Ruckmen take forever, and injuries can really cruel a player like Brown.

I reckon that rule works for small players who get a reasonably clear run at footy - Murdoch, Parsons, et al. Ruckmen take forever, and injuries can really cruel a player like Brown.

Hence why the trend to not draft rucks early , still I suspect if you draft the right talls you will be getting something out of them before the 3rd years is up.
Sav drafted 2016 .. theb 8 games 2018.

Corbett looking very good in his first game. I wanted him badly last year.

Corbett looks like good value .. i don't see a Pods like player but two goals in his first half of footy is a pretty good effort. Already more than Lucky Luk has given them.. Id have to say I doubt he would be getting a game with us .. but CS does like a guy who covers the ground ..and he is doing that.

Corbett looks like good value .. i don't see a Pods like player but two goals in his first half of footy is a pretty good effort. Already more than Lucky Luk has given them.. Id have to say I doubt he would be getting a game with us .. but CS does like a guy who covers the ground ..and he is doing that.
He would get a game for us. Think Mitch McGovern as a comparison

Not sure why people like 2MP so much.

A goal a game and a handful of hit outs.

Played 50+ games now. He would get savaged if he played for a Vic team.

he would do a role for us which exceeded those stats ... but on stats..I think you would find that his stats would not be far from Ottens at the same age.. Ottens would have more HOuts..
Yes he would get more attention at a Vic club like ours ..but he also would get to share the load with a lot better inbound balls.. Im amazed at the quality of ball that they give him.. quite poor imo.

he would do a role for us which exceeded those stats ... but on stats..I think you would find that his stats would not be far from Ottens at the same age.. Ottens would have more HOuts..
Yes he would get more attention at a Vic club like ours ..but he also would get to share the load with a lot better inbound balls.. Im amazed at the quality of ball that they give him.. quite poor imo.

Ottens was AA by this stage of his career plus ultimately failed as a key forward anyhow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still I suspect if you draft the right talls you will be getting something out of them before the 3rd years is up
True, I think it depends on how you define "something". Max Gawn was drafted in 2009 and had his breakout game against us in 2015. That said, he took a while to adapt to professional sports life.

Larkey looked good. Too late for him. You'd have to pay overs on a trade imo.

But I think Larkey and Kreuger are quite similar in type.

Completely agree. Especially given that our best midfielders are 29, nearly 31, and heading back to WA at the end of the season, we could do with a ready-made small and he'd fit the bill. Longer-term he'd probably play GAJ's current role forward of the ball.

Given he has spent the first five weeks in the NEAFL, I'd be surprised if he was happy there at the moment.

Of course, the other out-of-contract player at the Lions is some young fellow by the name of Christensen...

I like Lewy and I think he could add to our team and may well be gettable if he struggles for gametime but I wouldn't do it unless he's cheap. My main theory is its likely we could get someone with a late-ish pick that could do as good a job because so many of the good small forwards in the comp came as late picks. Off the top of my head Betts Cameron Fantasia Tippa Walters Ballantyne Matera Breust Puopolo Butler Gray Parker Lonie Papley Cripps Rioli (im sure there's heaps of others) are basically all either late picks or rookies, cheap trades or drafted as mature agers. I think when you have limited high picks like we do you need to trade them for assets you can't get easily with later picks in the draft. It's why I keep banging on about trading for an A Grade KPF as you rarely get them with late draft picks.

Larkey looked good. Too late for him. You'd have to pay overs on a trade imo.

But I think Larkey and Kreuger are quite similar in type.

Out of contract and hasn't shown heaps, could still be a late pick trade.

I like Lewy and I think he could add to our team and may well be gettable if he struggles for gametime but I wouldn't do it unless he's cheap.
I completely agree with everything you've written.

If Lewis Taylor isn't playing a significant role in that side by the end of the year and he's out of contract, I don't think he'll be worth much. There's also a trading history of relative goodwill between the clubs, too.

No way to prove it ..but I doubt it. Will watch over the coming weeks . MMG is far better OHead from what I have seen today
Has the best hands of anyone drafted last year. Hands are as good as MMG imo. Doesn't have mcgoverns speed but very good endurance. Covered 14km in a couple of vfl games.

Do you think Brownless might get a game this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back