Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 10 vs. SYDNEY - Gabba, Thur 06/08 @ 5:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Quaynor to the wing for me.
Fast, great kick and played junior footy through the middle.

I like Crisp's experience down back.

That would require Buckley to go against his own thinking, you are spot on, needs to play wing but bucks is determined to makw everyone a defender

The lineup i would like to see us try:
FB: Maynard, Roughead, Murphy
HB: Crisp, Moore, Noble
C: Daicos, Sidebottom, Quaynor
HF: Stephenson, Reid, Mihoceck
FF: Elliott, Cameron, T.Brown
R: Grundy, Treloar, Adams

INT: Sier, Appleby, WHE, Rantall

I still think we need to trial 3 tall forwards, for a while. Our current set up doesnt work for us.

Play some blokes with dash and foot skills on the wing. Phillips and Mayne are rubbish wing options.

Give Murphy a crack to allow IQ to play up the ground.

Our biggest killer at the moment is our sloppy midfield. Our handballing has been horrendous, behind the player, to their feet, firing absolute bullets, if our mids can clean that up it will go a long way to improving the way we move the ball forward and give our forwards a chance to actually get something going.

We've been completely smashed around the contest the last 2 weeks and that is truly worrying. We couldn't hold tackles (even Maynard), we hand-passed to stationary targets and we generally appeared soft compared to the opposition. I know we have plenty of young blokes, but that's no excuse; Freo's inexperienced players really wanted the ball.

We are in a form slump, but things can turn pretty quickly. We must get the balance right between our grunt and outside players. Whatever else our selectors do, they simply must drop Josh Thomas. Last week I suggested he could not have been any worse, but I was wrong.

I'd leave Keane down back, but bring in Roughy to take off some pressure. Leave the boy in for a few weeks to find his feet. I think Reid has to play. He should have played yesterday. He gives us flexibility at both ends.

The way we are playing seems devoid of any confidence. It happens. Two weeks ago we beat Geelong. Things can turn.

Out: J. Thomas, WHE
In: Reid, T.Brown

I'm all for a partial rebuild. It's shown you don't need that long to fight your way back to the top these days.

Let's try and jag 3-4 top 20 draft picks and trade away some of our fringe players.

Port and Brisbane are the prime example on how to go about this.

I'm all for a partial rebuild. It's shown you don't need that long to fight your way back to the top these days.

Let's try and jag 3-4 top 20 draft picks and trade away some of our fringe players.

Port and Brisbane are the prime example on how to go about this.

agree mate. You are only as good as your bottom 6 or so players, and our bottom 6 are not AFL premiership level.

every week we see the value of KPF when they tear us apart.

It’s time for hine to move on, and inject a new list strategy. Beams trade has made it even harder, but we need picks and trades to happen.

sometimes you have to go backwards to move forwards and the only way we fix our blatant holes is to drop down and get picks and trade value.

Bris, Port and saints are reaping the rewards of this.

Last edited:
I think the long breaks between games in the Perth hub did us no favours. Way too long to sit around and not be at their peak come game day.

I think the quick turnaround with our next 3 matches might play in our favour and lets hope we find some winning form. Right now we are the worst side to watch in the whole competition, Adelaide included.

Release the shackles boys ffs.

The lineup i would like to see us try:
FB: Maynard, Roughead, Murphy
HB: Crisp, Moore, Noble
C: Daicos, Sidebottom, Quaynor
HF: Stephenson, Reid, Mihoceck
FF: Elliott, Cameron, T.Brown
R: Grundy, Treloar, Adams

INT: Sier, Appleby, WHE, Rantall

I still think we need to trial 3 tall forwards, for a while. Our current set up doesnt work for us.

Play some blokes with dash and foot skills on the wing. Phillips and Mayne are rubbish wing options.

Give Murphy a crack to allow IQ to play up the ground.

Our biggest killer at the moment is our sloppy midfield. Our handballing has been horrendous, behind the player, to their feet, firing absolute bullets, if our mids can clean that up it will go a long way to improving the way we move the ball forward and give our forwards a chance to actually get something going.

Yeah, I like this idea and think we should trial it for a bit. Similar to West Coast's balance. Try and manipulate it so that Mihochek is getting the second or third best defender. We aren't stretching defenses thinly enough in our variety, we are too easy to cover at the moment.

Release the shackles boys ffs.

This. So much this.

Can we just get Leonardo Di Caprio and his crew to conduct 'inception' on the entire coaching & playing group.... "release the ******* shackles".

1596421522497.png

You ******* tell them, Leo. We've ******* had it!!! In the words of the great man, we're all close to eating pubes!!!

Now that he’s in the team I hope Sier gets as many games to prove himself as we’ve gifted to guys Wills, C.Brown, Daicos, Phillips, Mayne, JT, Hoskin-Elliott and Cox who have all enjoyed extended runs even when racking up low numbers and having little impact.

But I suspect that Sier won’t be given as much latitude as those other coach’s favourites. I sense that Sier has an acrimonious relationship with Bucks and will be quickly cut from the team again unless he really seizes the moment. Go Bear!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You're guessing that they have an acrimonious relationship, but I think you're wrong. They had the cameras in Collingwood's change rooms before the match yesterday, and there was vision of Bux having a casual chat with Sier. it seemed very relaxed (i.e. not forced or strange) and there seemed to be genuine warmth there.

Can't we try a taller forward line so we're more direct and have targets? I'd give Reid, Cameron and Mihocek a go.

Provided its not raining then i am all for this.

If we go this route, Varcoe must play forward too - we need someone to play front and center. Stephenson, Elliott, Hosk etc do not do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Thomas looks incredibly cooked.
He cannot break into any sort of a sprint----his feet are stuck in concrete every time there's a loose ground ball.

The problem is--we can make more changes---but it isnt going to fix the manner in which we play.
It's slow, it's boring and it's easy to play against because by the time we get it inside 50---we are outnumbered.

We can't have guys like Phillips and Mayne occupying wing spots when they cannot hurt teams on the outside.
It's laughable.

Thomas must be dropped.
Lets hope Swans don't blow off the charts pressure like Freo but I suspect they will be up for Collingwood.
Dwayne Russell out of the commentary box he cannot call Collingwood games to a Collingwood audience

Out: Madgen/Keane, Mayne, Thomas
In: Dunn/Roughead, Murphy/Rantall, Broomhead/Appleby/Reid

Backline needs some leadership, Dunn provides that in spades and deserves a last crack at keeping his AFL career alive. No idea what's going on with Roughead but if he's fine to play then unlucky Dunny. I can't believe Mayne isn't getting as much heat, I know he has performed reasonably well over the past few years but against Freo he was awful. Thomas is simply not AFL standard anymore and both Broomhead & Appleby seem to be in decent nick in the reserve games, either of them would be an improvement on Thomas. If the selectors want a taller forward line then Reid takes that spot. Would love to see Langdon or Pendlebury back but I suspect its a wee bit soon for both.

Last edited:
Out: Keane, Madgen, Phillips, Thomas
In: Roughead, Dunn, Rantall, Appleby

Noble Dunn Maynard
Moore Roughead Crisp

Grundy Adams Treloar
Daicos Sier Quaynor

Stephenson Mihocek Elliot
Sidebottom Cameron Appleby

Hoskin-Elliot Rantall Mayne Varcoe

Quaynor to a wing - Phillips has been very disappointing this season. IQ and Daics on the wings for mine for the rest of the year
Dunn & Roughy in to allow Darcy to play more of the Howe role (Felt for Keane, first game prepared to give him some slack but clearly still not quite ready)
Appleby - See how he goes, surely can't provide less than JT has

I've had a long think over lunch, and I've come to the following conclusion.

1. We were 1 small defender heavy and 1 tall forward short. It seems we wanted to play Crisp on the ball to tag Fyfe, which is why we went the extra defender. Personally, I'd be leaving Crisp in defence.

2. We lack pace on the wings with both Mayne and Phillips out of form.

I would be doing the following:

Change 1: Reid in for Varcoe - As I said above, we are 1 small defender too many, so I'd replace one with a key forward. I think Varcoe is past it to be honest. I'd be putting the reliance on Noble and Quaynor who look to be the future, alongside Crisp and Maynard. I think it is time to consider playing a 3 tall forward line. We need targets. The good teams are all doing it. West Coast, Richmond, Brisbane, GWS and Port all have multiple tall options forward. We played Hawthorn with 3 talls and it worked. Reid is probably the best key forward we have on the list right now. It's his time to shine.

Change 2: Roughead in for Magden - We can't play both Magden and Keane. It's too inexperienced. Hopefully the week off has allowed Roughead to regroup. If not, then Dunn should be considered. Magden and Keane are interchangeable, but I'd give Keane at least another week, on a lesser opponent, to see if he can settle in. I think Keane is a real prospect, but you don't want to shatter his confidence by dropping him after 1 game.

Change 3: Appleby in for Thomas - Appleby has been one of the best in scratch matches, he has a real dip and looks to me to be pretty quick. JT is just horribly out of form and potentially cost us the game against Freo with so many poor skill errors. At worst, Appleby will have a dip.

Change 4: Broomhead in for Phillips - I'd play Broomhead forward, and put Daicos and Noble onto the wings for pace. Broomhead is very clean around goal. He may lack a bit with defensive pressure and workrate, but he won't miss chances when they present. Phillips unfortunately is out of form and offering very little other than poor skills.

Josh Thomas looks incredibly cooked.
He cannot break into any sort of a sprint----his feet are stuck in concrete every time there's a loose ground ball.

The problem is--we can make more changes---but it isnt going to fix the manner in which we play.
It's slow, it's boring and it's easy to play against because by the time we get it inside 50---we are outnumbered.

We can't have guys like Phillips and Mayne occupying wing spots when they cannot hurt teams on the outside.
It's laughable.

agreed, we need to change up the look we have on the outside. Given the form of Noble - i would like to see us deploy Crisp onto the wing. He has the running power, speed and game style to really make an impact on the wing.

Maynard, Quaynor, Noble and Varcoe are more than capable to hold down the small defensive positions.

I’m just wondering why has the A.F.L scheduled this match for Thursday night,when we only played on Sunday night in Perth?Four days to travel across the country for a match?I don’t usually believe in conspiracy theories,but anyone would think that the A.F.L has got an agenda against us.I couldn’t imagine them giving Richmond that sort of a draw,for example.

Anyone want a sign of where we are at, and our horrid overuse handball happy game plan that generates nothing but turnovers. Check out the kick to handball ratios of all the top teams compared to us. Most notably Compare it to the 3 best teams in the comp atm Richmond, eagles, Bris! F5961022-EA23-4FF8-995E-64245FB5499E.png

is Ed going to come out and say what a disgraceful effort that was tonight?
Stick a rocket up Bucks and the players, and if not, why not?? As a paying member, l want to see it, considering a team 15th on the ladder just beat us!!!

Nah he come up with the Usual Crap that we should Stick with the Club and we should be happy where we are at.....s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

Back