Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 10 vs. SYDNEY - Gabba, Thur 06/08 @ 5:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, except for what u say about Hine and a couple of your outs.
Remember Hine picked De Goey and Stevenson

Both were top 10 picks, Hine has been very good at the top end of the draft. He hasn't drafted many good key position players though, Moore (father son) aside, which like many people have stated is the biggest hole in our list. Its not I don't rate Hine, just think a change and different approach might do us good in that aspect.

Not overly quick, but has the endurance, similar to Sidey...
Unfortunately we have quite a few diesels in the side, and they aren’t helped by the truncated quarters. Still, willing to have a look, I really liked him in preseason.

After tonight's horror loss to Fremantle, 4-1-4 and, quite simply, our season is at a cross-roads. We need to win the next three games as a minimum, and it starts right here. No excuses.

This is our first game of many in Queensland this year, and it feels like we're showing up late to the party. Hopefully the earlier start of 5:40pm prevents it from reaching dew point early in the game, which I believe is something other teams would have a head-start in their preparations for.

Sydney outside of Sydney? Don't fall off your chair! In our last 12 encounters against Sydney, we've played in the Harbour City every time bar one game at the MCG in 2013 (in what became the Adam Goodes game). The time before that was way back in 2009. This recent history includes five in a row at the SCG, from which we have produced just two close, hard-fought wins.

We should take confidence from the fact that we've won our last 5 in a row at the Gabba, the most recent two of which were impressive over a strong Brisbane Lion side.

As of Tuesday 28/07/2020, Sydney have a few injuries to contend with, in particular; Lance Franklin (3-4 weeks), Heeney (Season), Kennedy (4-5 weeks), Naismith (Season). Rampe had surgery on his broken right hand on Monday last week, but will likely play.

It's no secret that Sydney are struggling this year. They started with a narrow win over a winless Adelaide Crows, could've nearly pinched a win against the inconsistent Bombers, before beating a now-struggling North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium. A four-game losing streak succeeded a Round 8 win against the Hawks, a team which is now under immense pressure with regards to where their list is at.

LAST TIME THEY MET

Collingwood and Sydney's last three games have been quite close despite Sydney's slow but sure slide down the ladder and Collingwood being firmly in premiership contention. It could be said without hesitation that the shift from ANZ stadium to SCG has hampered our ability in Sydney.

In Round 10, 2019, Sydney got off to a hot start and went into quarter time with a lead of 3.1.19 to 1.4.10. A two to four goal second term saw us take a nine point lead into half time, before Sydney kicked five goals to two in the third quarter to lead 10.6.66 to 7.12.54 at three quarter time. Collingwood went on to win 11.14.80 to 11.7.73.

For top performers in this game, many would remember Sam Reid's performance where he kicked an equal career-high 6.0 and simply could not miss in a hot run of form. Sam Reid was awarded BOG and not only was his individual performance and unbelievable accuracy keeping them in the game, it had the Swans threatening to beat us all night.

Jake Lloyd had it 35 times from the backline and Luke Parker 28.

Brodie Grundy had 64 hitouts to go with his 18 disposals, a dominance over Callum Sinclair, a match up which could again happen. Adam Treloar had 38 disposals, Scott Pendlebury 29 and a goal, and Jack Crisp helped himself to the ball 27 times.

Daniel Wells played his first and only game of 2019, the last of his career. Wells finished with 3 goals from his 11 disposals, before going down with a knee injury. Dayne Beams had the ball 22 times in performance which had some questioning his output, which ended up being his second last game in black and white (he only played Fremantle the week after).

Buddy Franklin - with thanks to Jordan Roughead - was kept to just 6 disposals after a four week lay-off. But a return from injury against Collingwood, no less.

Sidebottom was tagged by Ryan Clarke and was kept to 13 touches, including donuts in the opening quarter.

Dane Rampe eventually gave away a 50-metre penalty to Chris Mayne which sealed the deal for the Magpies.

Josh Kennedy missed the game with a knee injury. Collingwood on the other hand were without Adams, DeGoey, Moore, Cox and Elliott.

MATCH UPS

Moore vs. Blakey
Roughead/Keane vs. S. Reid
Maynard vs. Papley
Scharenberg vs. McCartin
Crisp vs. Clarke/Gray
Noble vs. Taylor

CHANGES

Assuming Pendlebury still isn't ready, this feels like the first time in a while where we haven't had a best-22 player returning from injury and ready to slot straight back in. Sydney are slightly stronger and more unpredictable than Adelaide (our Round 11 opponent), so I suspect the team for this game will be on the stronger side.

Sinclair is the weakest ruckman we'll come up against in the next three games, with Riley O'Brien and Max Gawn to follow. If Grundy is to rest, this is probably it, although without his dominance over Sinclair last year, we probably would've lost.

IN: T Brown, Rantall
OUT: Mayne (sorry Chris, break time), Thomas

Maybe Roughead in also.

TIP

Collingwood by 14.

Collingwood by 14? We will be lucky to kick 14 points for the game!!

Regardless of execution, this is not the same game plan as the 2018 one.

I understand that we have key “outs” and I can accept a drubbing against West Coast, but against Freo?

Come on. Have some standard. Accepting the match today as “the norm” would be accepting mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm not accepting mediocrity, im simply stating it was 2 poor games. Prior to that I think most people would accept we were playing reasonably well. I think our biggest worry is endeavour and hardness at the contest, both have been non existent 2 games straight. When we don't bring the heat we get exposed through the middle. Treloar and Adams were woeful tonight, i know most were but they are leaders of the club and rolled over. Did not want to compete and im a big fan of Adams.

I took us for $100 at 81/1 for
the flag after r4 in 2018. It was 100/1 when I first tried to place the bet.
can u imagine how hard the end of that GF was to watch, especially since I couldn’t bring myself to lay-off against the pies on principle?
The pies have equally as good a chance to win it all this year, and bookies know - only offering $10/1 after this last fortnight

out: Stephenson, WHE, Thomas, Mayne, Phillips

In: Bianco, Brown Rantall, Ruscoe, Murphy

Play the kids, we lose who cares, l want us to trade in a Key forward, so finish as low as possible.
I liked this combination the most, because you’ve identified the soft players to be dropped. Now Thomas and Mayne aren’t soft, but they could do with a spell.

If you aren’t going to contribute you may as well give some game time to a kid. but it needs to be balanced

I thought he showed glimpses of what he can do well but also what has stopped him progressing. Need to give him a run of games and go from there he is what sub 20 AFL games?

Yeah he hasn't played much AFL or that much at other levels either, he definitely may come good, but he's a really odd player. At times when the ball is in his hands he seems to think really quickly and creatively, but when it isn't in his hands, he seems zombified.

Well, that sucked.

IN: J.Roughead, F.Appleby, N.Murphy, B.Reid
OUT: M.Keane (omitted), J.Thomas (omitted), C.Mayne (managed/omitted), D.Cameron (omitted)

• Keane needs another year or two developing his game before he should ever be considered to play at AFL level again.
  • Roughy comes in based on matchup with the more athletic Sydney Forward, i prefer Dunn long-term this season but playing on Reid, McCartin is not the match-up to bring him back in for
  • Thomas is finished at AFL level, Appleby deserves a run at it given his form
  • Mayne needs a spell, i love the guy and think he still has a role in the side but today he was no where. With a 4 day break at his age, I would opt to leave him out
  • It might be stiff on Cameron, but to me Reid offers more as a forward target. I would consider playing all 3, and maybe we should given the success again the HAWKS with Kelly, Mihochek and Cox

Structural Changes:
  • Crisp to the wing - We desperately need someone who is direct and willing to take the game on there. Noble is in great form and gives us the flexibility to make this move.
  • Daicos back to the wing rotation - Has been predominantly forward the last few weeks and he simply doesn't do enough down there to warrant selection. Must go back to the wing or out of the side IMO.
  • Varcoe up forward - We are crying out for a crumber / pressure player and he is not required down back with our wealth of small defender option

B:B.Maynard, J.Roughead, I.Quaynor
HB: N.Murphy, D.Moore, J.Noble
C: J.Crisp, J.Elliott, T.Phillips
HF: S.Sidebottom, B.Mihochek, F.Appleby
F: J.Stephenson, B.Reid, W.Hoskin-Elliott
R: B.Grundy, T.Adams, A.Treloar
I: J.Madgen, B.Sier, J.Daicos, T.Varcoe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, that sucked.

OUT: M.Keane (omitted), J.Thomas (omitted), C.Mayne (managed/omitted), D.Cameron (omitted)

• Keane needs another year or two developing his game before he should ever be considered to play at AFL level again.
  • Roughy comes in based on matchup with the more athletic Sydney Forward, i prefer Dunn long-term this season but playing on Reid, McCartin is not the match-up to bring him back in for
  • Mayne needs a spell, i love the guy and think he still has a role in the side but today he was no where. With a 4 day break at his age, I would opt to leave him out
  • It might be stiff on Cameron, but to me Reid offers more as a forward target. I would consider playing all 3, and maybe we should given the success again the HAWKS with Kelly, Mihochek and Cox

Structural Changes:
  • Crisp to the wing - We desperately need someone who is direct and willing to take the game on there. Noble is in great form and gives us the flexibility to make this move.
  • Daicos back to the wing rotation - Has been predominantly forward the last few weeks and he simply doesn't do enough down there to warrant selection. Must go back to the wing or out of the side IMO.
  • Varcoe up forward - We are crying out for a crumber / pressure player and he is not required down back with our wealth of small defender option

Can't we try a taller forward line so we're more direct and have targets? I'd give Reid, Cameron and Mihocek a go.

Well, that sucked.

Structural Changes:

We can't persist with WHE and Stephenson who both are horribly out of form. Love Varcoe, but we need to start looking forward.
Like to see Ruscoe, Rantall and Callum Brown (if fit) come in

Hard to get motivated for this game. I am so sick of this club from Eddie to bucks. Our assistants are sub bar tools.

These precious players complaining about hub life can get in the bin

Out keane Thomas Phillips Varcoe mayne

In Roughead appleby rantall Murphy Tyler brown

Last edited:
HB: J.Crisp, D.Moore, J.Noble
C: J.Daicos,S.Sidebottom,W.Hoskin-Elliott
HF: B.Mihochek,B.Reid F.Appleby
F: J.Stephenson,D.Cameron,J.Elliott
I: B.Sier,T.Ruscoe,J.Rantall,N.Murphy,

In.Roughhead,Reid,Murphy,Rantall,Ruscoe,Appleby
Out.Keane,Varcoe,Phillips,Mayne,Madgen,Thomas

Last edited:
Without a doubt Freo were hungrier, chased harder and were more desperate than our mob.
I think a lot of the extra pressure was organisation. We were over committing tacklers to the ball carrier, meaning they had someone to dish off to who was in the clear. Meanwhile, they didn't over commit tacklers and cut off our outlets meaning the receiver was under pressure. It was a well drilled team coached by someone who knows our style intimately, making sure our attempted handball chains were received under pressure.

I think a lot of the extra pressure was organisation. We were over committing tacklers to the ball carrier, meaning they had someone to dish off to who was in the clear. Meanwhile, they didn't over commit tacklers and cut off our outlets meaning the receiver was under pressure. It was a well drilled team coached by someone who knows our style intimately, making sure our attempted handball chains were received under pressure.
I agree mate. Too many times today I saw two or three of our players tackle a Fremantle player only for him to get a handball out to Fremantle numbers on the outside of the contest.
No doubt Longmuir is a good coach. He was highly rated by the Eagles and the same by us.
He nailed us today.

Agree. This begs the question as to why other teams are able to handle this same Freo with ease, but we can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I took us for $100 at 81/1 for
the flag after r4 in 2018. It was 100/1 when I first tried to place the bet.
can u imagine how hard the end of that GF was to watch, especially since I couldn’t bring myself to lay-off against the pies on principle?
The pies have equally as good a chance to win it all this year, and bookies know - only offering $10/1 after this last fortnight
Don’t worry, you will get your 100/1 after we lose a few of our next three games.

OUT Thomas, Keane, Phillips,
IN Reid, Roughead, Rantall

on notice Mayne, Sier, WHE,

move IQ to the wing Reid to play forward with Cameron and Mihocek. Should have done this last week. Sier needs to be a grizzly bear not a teddy Bear.
move the ball and stop this handball s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back