Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 10 vs. SYDNEY - Gabba, Thur 06/08 @ 5:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the comments that I've seen online about Keane are really harsh and almost downright mean, like saying he should never play again.

He's a 20 year old kid play key position in a game he didn't grow up playing. If we can stick with an American key position player who didn't start playing until he was like 24 for 60-odd games, we can have some patience with Keane.

And the comments tonight from Tony Shaw about how Roughead shouldn't have been dropped for Keane also don't hit the mark for mine. He was talking as if Freo's key forwards were something to write home about like Riewoldt/Lynch or Kennedy/Darling. Roughead has looked so flat and disinterested for some time now, and with the fixture squeeze and his age and his personal circumstances it makes sense to rest him for a bit. Shaw will always be a legend of the club but I'm not going to stand by and listen to the coach who took us to our last wooden spoon give us lectures on selection decisions.

We did a lot of things wrong tonight but the selection of Keane wasn't one of them.

That is harsh. He didn't have a great night, but could have been worse.

I think it comes down to... he is too inexperienced to play on the best forward like roughy does. He isn't mature enough for, for the FB role. He should be given the 3rd/4th best forward.

But he'll get better with time.

Any chance we can play Cameron and Cox?

Varcoe at their feet. Cameron plays higher where he seems to thrive and Cox deeper so we have a target to kick to.

Just wish Buckley would try something different. Our forward line is as bland as lemon & herb at nandos.
Yep. Twin towers. Smalls at their feet.

Play the kids. This season is shot and we aren’t challenging.

Out mayne Varcoe philllps Thomas

In rantall appleby Murphy Tyler brown

On further reflection, I think we have to bring in Reid. It’s a disgrace that we still haven’t managed to recruit an A-grade replacement after all these years but he remains our most proven forward marking and goal kicking target and seems to be in good fitness and form.

OUT Keane Mayne JT Phillips
IN Roughead Murphy Reid Appleby/Broomhead

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That is harsh. He didn't have a great night, but could have been worse.

I think it comes down to... he is too inexperienced to play on the best forward like roughy does. He isn't mature enough for, for the FB role. He should be given the 3rd/4th best forward.

But he'll get better with time.
I'd give him a couple more. Just looked a bit overawed.

Moore demands the football and competes well in the air, would give the rest of our players confidence to kick it long and quick knowing it won’t be he won’t be outmarked.

Also Mayne not playing on the wing also helps our transition.

Moore will probably be an upgrade to our forward line but I feel the opportunity cost of losing him down back would be too great.

On further reflection, I think we have to bring in Reid. It’s a disgrace that we still haven’t managed to recruit an A-grade replacement after all these years but he remains our most proven forward marking and goal kicking target and seems to be in good fitness and form.

It's pretty funny that our most proven forward marking and goal kicking target has never kicked more than 25 goals in a year in a 13 year career.

No! Dude! That’s the best thing about our game when it’s working. When we are slick with hands and feet, we’re playing v high quality. When we over use by hand or don’t go direct soon enough tee struggle.
Let’s not forget this game style/ players got us to a GF and a PF the last 2 years.

100% no wonder everyone hates us pies fans. Biggest fair weather supporters going around! 2 bad games with our best mid best forward and arguably our best defender out. They blame the game plan lol. What a joke! We made a granny and prelim last two years, cut the bs. And have had injuries and indiscretions every year. Buckleys coaching hasnt changed from last season, he had them playing well prior to the last few games. Its all the game plan when you lose a few! Is Clarksons game plan now s**t because the hawks are struggling. The effort and endeavour just hasnt been there. We are going through a flat patch which looks like it might continue without a settled side and the composure of Pendles.

We will bounce back, just need a bit of luck go our way and some players to actually pull there finger out. Selection committee has to be better also. I honestly believe hine must be looked at more, hes had more misses than hits recently and drafts alot of similar poorly skilled footballers.

Out - Thomas, Madgen, Phillips, Cameron

In - Roughead, Murphy, C Brown, Reid

Thomas is cooked, I have better skills than Phillips but we are both equally as hard at the ball (weak as piss), Madgen is not worth persisting with and would give Keane another go. Cameron is not the answer.

Roughhead is a no brainer, Murphy has attributes, Cal Brown has been a bit out of form but atleast has a crack and we dont have much else, Greenwood probs way too early but we need some serious hardness around the footy so hope hes not too far away. Reid is not the answer either but is the best we've got refer my comments about hine.

On thin ice - Mayne, Hoskin-Elliot, Daicos his last 2 games have been poor, and the rest lol.

I reckon we waited to get past the hard surface of Optus Stadium before playing Reid.

It's pretty funny that our most proven forward marking and goal kicking target has never kicked more than 25 goals in a year in a 13 year career.

Yes but can you name another tall forward on our list who you think will regularly take more contested marks and kick more goals than Reid?

As I said, it’s a disgrace that we haven’t managed to recruit/develop a genuine A-grade key forward over the past decade. The cupboard is pretty bare and Reid is the best available, despite being past his used-by date.

Yes but can you name another tall forward on our list who you think will regularly take more contested marks and kick more goals than Reid?

As I said, it’s a disgrace that we haven’t managed to recruit/develop a genuine A-grade key forward over the past decade. The cupboard is pretty bare and Reid is the best available, despite being past his used-by date.

I'm not disagreeing with you.I'd play him there. I just think it's ridiculous that our proven tall forward isn't actually proven - he looked good there for a half a dozen games about 6 years age and has barely played since. It was ridiculous tonight seeing Stephenson having to compete in the air with long bombs to a pack and then us not having him at ground level.

Agree, l want to see some pace injected so bring in Rantall. Couldn't do any worse as our mids are non existent at the moment...
Doesn’t strike me as being fast. Not averse to him getting a look though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% no wonder everyone hates us pies fans. Biggest fair weather supporters going around! 2 bad games with our best mid best forward and arguably our best defender out. They blame the game plan lol. What a joke! We made a granny and prelim last two years, cut the bs. And have had injuries and indiscretions every year. Buckleys coaching hasnt changed from last season, he had them playing well prior to the last few games. Its all the game plan when you lose a few! Is Clarksons game plan now sh*t because the hawks are struggling. The effort and endeavour just hasnt been there. We are going through a flat patch which looks like it might continue without a settled side and the composure of Pendles.

We will bounce back, just need a bit of luck go our way and some players to actually pull there finger out. Selection committee has to be better also. I honestly believe hine must be looked at more, hes had more misses than hits recently and drafts alot of similar poorly skilled footballers.

Thomas is cooked, I have better skills than Phillips but we are both equally as hard at the ball (weak as piss), Madgen is not worth persisting with and would give Keane another go. Cameron is not the answer.

Roughhead is a no brainer, Murphy has attributes, Cal Brown has been a bit out of form but atleast has a crack and we dont have much else, Greenwood probs way too early but we need some serious hardness around the footy so hope hes not too far away. Reid is not the answer either but is the best we've got refer my comments about hine.

On thin ice - Mayne, Hoskin-Elliot, Daicos his last 2 games have been poor, and the rest lol.
Grundy would need to ruck alone. Reid can’t.

Bucks says Freo were hungrier to win it, that's why we lost.....yep blame the players, not the game plan or the effort taken to play such a defensive game plan.
So we look like playing the exact same sh1t against Sydney....
Without a doubt Freo were hungrier, chased harder and were more desperate than our mob.

100% no wonder everyone hates us pies fans. Biggest fair weather supporters going around! 2 bad games with our best mid best forward and arguably our best defender out. They blame the game plan lol. What a joke! We made a granny and prelim last two years, cut the bs. And have had injuries and indiscretions every year. Buckleys coaching hasnt changed from last season, he had them playing well prior to the last few games. Its all the game plan when you lose a few! Is Clarksons game plan now sh*t because the hawks are struggling. The effort and endeavour just hasnt been there. We are going through a flat patch which looks like it might continue without a settled side and the composure of Pendles.

Agree, except for what u say about Hine and a couple of your outs.
Remember Hine picked De Goey and Stevenson

Regardless of execution, this is not the same game plan as the 2018 one.

I understand that we have key “outs” and I can accept a drubbing against West Coast, but against Freo?

Come on. Have some standard. Accepting the match today as “the norm” would be accepting mediocrity.

Mate, we seriously would struggle to beat Adelaide. You watching the same games as me, we cant f'ing score. You wont beat any team if you can't score.
Our game plan is built about preventing the opposition from scoring, and that's it. We have no offensive game at all. Plus the game style Bucks and his doubles partner Sanderson have developed, is about winning the ball in congestion and scoring of that, , and then all getting back to the D50 when we don't have the footy. This is a tiring, draining game style on the players.
Right now if we played Port Melbourne we would lose. The Sydney game is a must win, but right now it is a toss of the coin, because our game style evens up the competition.
Other sides that have a offensive attacking game style, smash teams below them, we don't have that. So to me Bucks is right now implemented a game style to prolong his coaching career, but right now it is unravelling.
Based upon our last 2 games, none of the next 3 games are gimmes.

How'd you see Sier tonight? copped a lot of blocking and holding from Blakey stopping him coming through, Longmuire must rate him enough to put time into him.

I thought he was ok but still bit passive needs to start really getting some anger around the contest, seemed to look heavy in the legs tonight too in 2018 seemed to have a bit more zip from congestion and in transition.

Liked some of his roving to Grundy and did enough, imo need to play him for the rest of the year and like other Bucks favorites (JT, C.Brown, Maynbe, Phillips WHE) let him ride out the flat spots.
I agree. Sier was ok first game up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back