Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember being linked to DeGoey too but he was a late riser up the board.

I actually reckon our trade to get the higher pick was with De Goey in mind as there were stong links pre draft and he would have been the ideal candidate as a future Bartel replacement but he rose up way too far late in the piece. One of those ones where you would love to know why Wells really did it, could have used trading on the draft night back then.

I actually reckon our trade to get the higher pick was with De Goey in mind as there were stong links pre draft and he would have been the ideal candidate as a future Bartel replacement but he rose up way too far late in the piece. One of those ones where you would love to know why Wells really did it, could have used trading on the draft night back then.

I think it was degoey or wright Because both went earlier than predicted. Cockatoo was clearly our 2nd choice as he was only flown up to the draft at the last minute.

I would love Adam Saad but from what I was told yesterday he is going to nominate Carlton if he leaves Essendon.

I can see that but I doubt he leaves Essendon.

He's an amazing player and I'd take him. But do we need him?

We no doubt have greater needs but if he's available and he wants us, we absolutely trade for him IMO. He might not be our greatest need, but he's a really good young player with a big ceiling and much more development left in him. IMO, he'd be too good a player to pass up if he's gettable, and given we have three first round picks, we'd have the trade capital to get it done, given some of the other players we've been linked to are free agents and won't require picks if we offer enough $$$ so the other club don't match our offer.

Personally, I'd love to trade in a good, young player like Caldwell or Stephenson with a first round pick, that leaves us with two first rounders to take to the draft, as well as getting one or two free agents (Cameron, Viney, Crouch) in to keep our window open. The maybe get a FR2 pick for Constable and then trade that for a ruckman from another club.

Yeah I don’t see the value in stephenson. Plays like an undersized explosive full forward and when he plays up the field has zero impact, hardly touches it which screams really low footy iq to me. To be blunt, he ain’t the bravest player I’ve seen either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, I think he has massive upside. Before his suspension he was pretty damaging iirc.
Have heard he has similar behavioural issues to Hogan however, and the gambling thing was pretty on the nose for mine. Especially bragging about it to members of the leadership group - really dumb

I don't watch a lot of Richmond games, but against us on Friday night he was repeatedly caught & done for holding the ball - think it was like 3 times in the first quarter and at least once more in the second quarter (he ended up with 5 frees against)

I'm sure he's had better games, but watching him Friday night that didn't seem as impressive as his teammates
He's not bad but benefits greatly from being paid zero attention. You put most players 3m off the contest with no one around them and have other mids win the contest for them they'll look just as good.

He's a good player but it's hard to tell how good

I would love Adam Saad but from what I was told yesterday he is going to nominate Carlton if he leaves Essendon.

This is from a superfooty article on Daniher & Saad - if true regarding Saad, surely this mindset would fit right in at Geelong:

Saad’s role has often changed significantly in defence from week to week in the back half of the year, varying between lock-down defence and a more offensive role.

Ideally he would like to be settled down into a role with a strong defensive mindset but that allows him to maximise his line-breaking abilities.

hi all, didn't want to start a new thread so thought i would put it within this one... and apologies if its already been addressed.

i read yesterday that the talk was going to be a squads of 38+2 rookies (unconfirmed) - and hopefully wrong.

Geelong currently has 46 listed players incl rookies.

They own 3 first round picks and a second round pick.

IF we manage to land Brad Crouch + one other FA (Cameron, Viney etc) or even another player via trade (bruest etc) our list would need a major cull??

46 players would need to become

40 (drop 6 just to fit the new AFL guideline)
36 (drop 4 more to fit 3 x 1st round picks 1x 2nd round pick)
34 (drop 2 more to fit in FA)

that is 12 gone from the current list (25% of the list)

beside Gaz, Taylor, Henderson, Nakai (probably) theres still another 8 that would need to get the chop.

seems like a huge amount ... or have i completely misunderstood this...

hi all, didn't want to start a new thread so thought i would put it within this one... and apologies if its already been addressed.

i read yesterday that the talk was going to be a squads of 38+2 rookies (unconfirmed) - and hopefully wrong.

IF we manage to land Brad Crouch + one other FA (Cameron, Viney etc) or even another player via trade (bruest etc) our list would need a major cull??

beside Gaz, Taylor, Henderson, Nakai (probably) theres still another 8 that would need to get the chop.

40 is achievable. probably add constable and narkle to that list. I think Parsons is a chance to get moved on also. Kind of think he is a VFL star but thats it. He also has every year since he has arrived played less games than the year before. Its dangerous territory.

I think Zuthrie would be a chance but he tends to be acceptable when he comes in so ok as depth. And Atkins and Jenkins are ones they would like to keep for depth but if tough decisions needs to be made, they are players that could go but I think unlikley.

There is plenty of room to axe players under the most likely 40 list size. They were also talking it being 38 + 2 + 2. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some exemption where you would could actually run at 42 and use up irish spots on existing players if the irish spot wasn't being used.

EDIT: the other one I think is a possibility is Darcy Fort. If they intend to run a Stanley/Esava Ruck combo and possibly have SDK as the back up in case something happens, I think he could be the man without a chair in the event of a tough cull.

That being said, I don't think there will be much of a list reduction, it will be a salary reduction across the board imo.

Last edited:

Looking more like 40+2+2. So it's not too extreme. We have enough deadwood to cut.

Ablett and Harry to retire. Tarca, Brownless, Parsons, Kennerly. And looks like Nakia, and possibly either Constable or Narkle might potentially move.

SEN reakons we are into Luke Brust....even at 30 YO he will still kick 35 plus very good player and forward.

Gee, his age is off putting for mine. Still a good player as you said, a very good player, but given what the Hawks would want (a 1st round pick), I wouldn't be keen on trading that for a player we'd likely only get 3-years out of. If he was a gun midfielder or gun KPF, maybe it would be worth it given we're in the window and competing for a flag.

He's an UFA in 12-months, so we could wait and get him for nothing then, or alternatively we can use that as leverage and convince the Hawks to accept this years second rounder or a future second round pick rather than lose him for nothing in 12-months time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back