Strategy Going through the scraps - delisted free agents

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken introduced Cox to our other KPFs Sam Gray and Jake Neade and Cox just couldn't see himself fitting in.

It would be like the hobbits meeting the Ent.

Not sure about that Ross.
I have heard from a couple of different people that Mead will be tried as defender next year.
Was already happening late this season. Was hoping Woodcock being delisted might open a spot in the middle for Mead.

DFA’s one 1 yr contracts give the club flexibility going into a relatively strong 2022 draft. I think it’s a given we’ll pick someone up. I’d be happy enough with one or two of the below:
Jarrod Cameron
Trent Dumont
James Cousins

I simply haven’t seen enough of Constable to comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Constable and Hanrahan could both slot in as needs. Definitely good depth players who could flourish given opportunity.
Unless any DFA is going to be a lock as best 22 for years, I would pass on all of them and draft a bunch of kids.
If even 1 or 2 surprise and become long term players, it's a win for the club imho.

In the latter Choco years the club picked up a number of delisted has beens, or duds who had never made the grade, and they were nothing more than list cloggers.
There has to be more chance of finding a diamond in the rough with a late draft pick than recycling someone elses left overs.

Weren't the club keen on Jarrod Cameron a year or two ago?

In the latter Choco years the club picked up a number of delisted has beens, or duds who had never made the grade, and they were nothing more than list cloggers.
There has to be more chance of finding a diamond in the rough with a late draft pick than recycling someone elses left overs.

I guess the difference is that guys like Meyer and Harding never proved themselves as AFL capable prior to coming here. Someone like Dumont, whilst vanilla, has at least proven himself as AFL capable

SANFL midfield 3 before off-season: Mayes, Sutcliffe, Woodcock.

After: Mayes, DFA, Mead (forcing Sutcliffe to half forward).

That’s my hope at least.
Woodcock played 1 game in the midfield, the last one.
mead played all year, when he wasn’t injured, in the midfield..

Dumont is fine if he's not coming over with the expectation of being automatic best 22. Our midfield is paper thin as it is, lose one or two of Wines/Boak/Drew and we'd desperately need someone to come in and fill a spot. And honestly he'd probably be a reasonable chance of overtaking Drew anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back