Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish someone would define "competitive"..."contending"... its sounds to me like an evel knievel jump and falling 3 busses short.

Contending or competitiveness ..is a euphemism for being the bridesmaid..and never the bride. It like being invited to the wedding , turning up and watching someone else get married, and then get married, and then get married. Time after time of watching someone else having their great day.

Sure its great get a meal , listen to the music and get a new dress. Our last decade is like the movie 27 dresses.

My opinion... No club just wants to just be competitive. They want to be loaded to smash all opposition. Id say melb supporters this year had a very enjoyable "competitive" finals series and not one game was competitive.

Unless something very unusual happens we will watch someone else get married this year. I cant see how we jump 4-6 other sides for us to be REALLY competitive..in the sense that we use the other side as the stage prop.

To you and all those people who knew we couldn't win the premiership in any of the last 3 years. All those "I told you so" people.

I assume you're all filthy rich now right? You put your house on Richmond half way through the second quarter of the 2020 GF right? Same in the 2019 prelim final? And I assume you layed Geelong at half time in round 23 this year right?

After all everyone knew Geelong couldn't possibly win the flag. Right? If you really did know that you could've easily made 10x your money over the last 3 years.

So are you filthy rich? Or was the future not so certain as you made out? And if not maybe we shouldn't pretend to be all knowing after the fact.

Maybe next year Stewart, Duncan, Cameron and Dangerfield are fit all year. Maybe next year some or all of O'Connor, Parfitt, Simpson, Ratugolea, Stengle, etc have breakout years like Henry did this year. Maybe it's Melbourne who suffers masses of injuries to their best players at the key point of the season this time.

Who knows. But we have Cameron, Stewart, Duncan, Guthrie, Blicavs, Henry and Dangerfield at an age where they should be basically at their best. Hawkins just seems to get better every year. And O'Connor, Parfitt, Simpson, Ratugolea, Close, Miers, Narkle, Stengle and Z Guthrie are exactly at the age and experience where they could have major breakout seasons. If you're not trying to win the premiership now then when? Are we waiting for 22 AAs all aged 26-28?

Frankly giving up now before the season starts would be completely soft. Thankfully our club has more backbone than some of our fans.

Same result
Yep, both failed. But at least the dogs can win finals. We have one of the worst finals records in history over the past decade. Utterly embarrassing really.

Yet somehow people keep trying to say we are successful. It’s delusional. We have the same number of flags over the past decade as the gold coast suns.

But really, this thread needs to get back on topic. Crucial draft for us. We really need 2 good midfielders to kick on and solidify our midfield for the coming years. We can no longer afford any more bust drafts. We have had too many of them over the last 7-8 years. It’s really screwed our age profile.

To you and all those people who knew we couldn't win the premiership in any of the last 3 years. All those "I told you so" people.

I assume you're all filthy rich now right? You put your house on Richmond half way through the second quarter of the 2020 GF right? Same in the 2019 prelim final? And I assume you layed Geelong at half time in round 23 this year right?

After all everyone knew Geelong couldn't possibly win the flag. Right? If you really did know that you could've easily made 10x your money over the last 3 years.

So are you filthy rich? Or was the future not so certain as you made out? And if not maybe we shouldn't pretend to be all knowing after the fact.

Maybe next year Stewart, Duncan, Cameron and Dangerfield are fit all year. Maybe next year some or all of O'Connor, Parfitt, Simpson, Ratugolea, Stengle, etc have breakout years like Henry did this year. Maybe it's Melbourne who suffers masses of injuries to their best players at the key point of the season this time.

Who knows. But we have Cameron, Stewart, Duncan, Guthrie, Blicavs, Henry and Dangerfield at an age where they should be basically at their best. Hawkins just seems to get better every year. And O'Connor, Parfitt, Simpson, Ratugolea, Close, Miers, Narkle, Stengle and Z Guthrie are exactly at the age and experience where they could have major breakout seasons. If you're not trying to win the premiership now then when? Are we waiting for 22 AAs all aged 26-28?

Frankly giving up now before the season starts would be completely soft. Thankfully our club has more backbone than some of our fans.

brilliant post... it is a real sign of successful mindsets and mental resilience whether you can persist or not in the face of setbacks and outcomes not falling your way, and it is no different with fans how some will drop the bundle and cannot continue to deal with it, while others are optimistic and resilient enough to continue pushing.

You want discuss it. I presume not ... but the personal stuff is by and large unnecessary. The rich personal comment stuff is totally ridiculous. I do not bet on football, and just because I disagree with the clubs approach for years now, has not meant I have stopped hoping for us to win. If you are happy with what the last ten years have delivered good luck to you.

brilliant post... it is a real sign of successful mindsets and mental resilience whether you can persist or not in the face of setbacks and outcomes not falling your way, and it is no different with fans how some will drop the bundle and cannot continue to deal with it, while others are optimistic and resilient enough to continue pushing.

You think the personal tone was brilliant ? Referencing betting? That is borderline reportable.

I think it’s actually really effected the team mentally losing so many finals. How can it not? Really need a good sport psychologist on the payroll to work with these guys.

You think the personal tone was brilliant ? Referencing betting? That is borderline reportable.

can see what your saying by that and i mean no offence to you personally as you make good contributions to the board, there is an obvious group of supporters who have a tough time persisting with being a contender for a flag after falling marginally short on many occasions, and then there are others who are happy to continue to push and attempt to win it again until our time runs out. each to their own depending how they perceive the situation.

I have just accepted this is a thing and you can sit on whichever side of it you like.

I think it’s actually really effected the team mentally losing so many finals. How can it not? Really need a good sport psychologist on the payroll to work with these guys.

if it has affected anyone, happy to ship them off to another club, don't want soft mentally weak players who break when they face challenges or something doesnt go their way like winning a flag. Probably feel more comfortable playing for a bottom 8 club then

Good post.
But it's not all about $. There are "supporters" who bet against us in big finals, to offset the unhappiness of losing, but that does not sit that well with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone that's interested, I'm starting a mock draft, given most other boards are doing it too. Simply select the team you want and I'll assign it to you (first in best dressed) :)

Hope to see you guys over there!

Hope your got thick skin lol

But if that marking is denied... what does he bring?
The only way you can deny an interceptor is by not kicking it too them. That in itself is a huge plus. Just his presence makes the opposition play a different way.

Intercept defenders have become arguably the most important position on a footy field. So drafting a player who has the traits to develop into the best interceptor the game has ever seen has huge upside for a football club.

I get that people were disappointed with the finals but let's be realistic we had injuries to key players at critical times and there is no way to estimate how much the gastro that affected players impacted the Prelim against Melbourne. The club has not made excuses but I think the impact was severe.

have you ever tried to go for a run with gastro?? or played physical sports with gastro??? its not optimal at all.

who knows what the outcome would have been if you take away the gastro and the injuries to dangerfield oconnor parfitt stewart... could have almost won if we are being honest, or at least a close game similar to the one at KP.

Have you seen that almost premiership cup on display down at kardinia park? It’s pretty impressive.

you said half the side has been affected by losing finals and needs a sports psychiatrist, i simply said doubt this considering we almost won a flag. we must have one of the greatest playing lists of all time if half of them could do that and the scores were still equal at 3qtr time.

The only way you can deny an interceptor is by not kicking it too them. That in itself is a huge plus. Just his presence makes the opposition play a different way.

Intercept defenders have become arguably the most important position on a footy field. So drafting a player who has the traits to develop into the best interceptor the game has ever seen has huge upside for a football club.

I would argue you need two of them these days to really create headaches and nullify opposition with both covering different territory.

its all for nothing thought if the pressure and defensive work is not applied further up the field around the ball carrier, by making them bomb it high and long forward.

basically... it took 44 years to develop a side that was not "weak" "not good enough" and not " mentally fragile" and capable of being a team good enough to be the no1.... those who are saying i can't handle watching footy unless i am seeing a premiership side unfold before my eyes in the making, can always come back in 44 years which was the timeframe to develop the 07 side.

I get that people were disappointed with the finals but let's be realistic we had injuries to key players at critical times and there is no way to estimate how much the gastro that affected players impacted the Prelim against Melbourne. The club has not made excuses but I think the impact was severe.
And the port final where we were also smashed? Was that gastro as well?

Knightmare currently has us grabbing Leek Aleer with #32 in his mock draft.

Surely a guy that size, that floats in the air, reads the incoming ball and takes d50 intercept grabs doesn't slide past even our first pick.
Hes still got to add a fair bit of size yet doubt anyone takes him before 30.

basically... it took 44 years to develop a side that was not "weak" "not good enough" and not " mentally fragile" and capable of being a team good enough to be the no1.... those who are saying i can't handle watching footy unless i am seeing a premiership side unfold before my eyes in the making, can always come back in 44 years which was the timeframe to develop the 07 side.
For me it’s more the flimsy premise that 7 finalists each year have completely wasted their time and were never contending that is utterly devoid of substance and logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back