• No

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 135 55.8%
  • Such is Life

Votes: 40 16.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Note: This is not a thread to air your views on left/right politics, vaccination mandates or conspiracies, this is a thread to discuss Djokovic and the Australian Open saga only. Humour is accepted and encouraged :D Abuse is not.
Thanks.

AEA78B7C-CABD-42A8-9D94-2ED15A7D2BAB.jpeg

Last edited:
honestly they have four days to come up with something and this is what they get to. This government is literally full of *******s.

it’s a good test of the law I guess - the question we probably didn’t want answered - can the minister cancel someone’s visa for a completely non sensical and illogical reason ?

The decision is totally against the grain of what’s written in passports

On what ground would Djokovic win do you think?
Health part: Antibodies, and will only be spending time at his residence or on the court. Any health risk is minimal at the most.
Public order part: He's only here until the end of Jan at the very latest. Could even be leaving on his accord by Tuesday. Won't be making any public appearances outside Melbourne Park. Nothing from him being here last year links him to anti-vax protests as far as I'm aware. Also as Wood pointed out, the Minister didn't consider what the anti-vax crowd may do if he is deported, which you could well argue would rile them up even more if they do consider Novak part of their 'movement'.

The minister's reasons sounded pissweak. Need something more concrete, but they don't have it because this is a bullshit order

It's pretty clear. Djokovic won court case fair and square but government doesn't like the result so overrule it. Government overruling a court verdict is basically definition of dictatorship
Funny definition of a dictatorship.

We have an elected government acting within the powers granted under legislation.

Yep definitely a dictatorship.

Why did the courts over rule the initial decision then?
This proves my point.

Initial court said that the process wasn’t followed. In short because Border Control didn’t provide Novak ample time and opportunity to validate his visa.

Hmm. I wonder why the government doesn’t want a Full Court.

Most likely because they recognise that their case is weak at best and if they were able to appeal, it would be during the AO which would lead to Djokovic being forced to withdraw.

In saying that, I hope it is before the Full Court. If the Government have a case, then they will win. I wonder why they are so worried for.
Home ground advantage?

Health part: Antibodies, and will only be spending time at his residence or on the court. Any health risk is minimal at the most.
Public order part: He's only here until the end of Jan at the very latest. Could even be leaving on his accord by Tuesday. Won't be making any public appearances outside Melbourne Park. Nothing from him being here last year links him to anti-vax protests as far as I'm aware. Also as Wood pointed out, the Minister didn't consider what the anti-vax crowd may do if he is deported, which you could well argue would rile them up even more if they do consider Novak part of their 'movement'.

The minister's reasons sounded pissweak. Need something more concrete, but they don't have it because this is a bullshit order
The minister has already conceded that any health risk is either low, very low, or negligible, and doesn't particularly care about the difference between the three. The health part of the minister's decision is not based on Novak's medical exemption, or the likelihood of him becoming infected or seriously ill. None of that is relevant.

Public order part is based on other groups who may use him as a talisman. The key word is may. It doesn't matter if they do or don't or how much time there is. As long as there is a possibility, the papers are stamped.

In other words, take pre-emptive action that is discriminatory against an individual. Which would be an abuse of power.
Hard to argue Novax wasn't discriminated against when other players were able to get through without being harassed and bullied at the border with the same circumstances re: exemptions as he had.

We literally had ministers tweeting about Novax before he landed.

Hard to argue Novax wasn't discriminated against when other players were able to get through without being harassed and bullied at the border with the same circumstances re: exemptions as he had.

We literally had ministers tweeting about Novax before he landed.
Yet another bad take.

Not discriminatory when he was picked up for not following rules.

Naaman Zhou(@naamanzhou)
Novak Djokovic’s legal team sent the immigration minister a blurry screenshot of an online poll run by the Age and the SMH that asked “Should Djokovic stay?” — where they themselves voted "Yes" pic.twitter.com/fTYbrTNObj

January 15, 2022

Lol

Public order part is based on other groups who may use him as a talisman. The key word is may. It doesn't matter if they do or don't or how much time there is. As long as there is a possibility, the papers are stamped.
Which is why it's a bullshit order. Novak may change his mind and choose to get vaxxed while he's here too. No matter how unlikely, it's a still a possibility. This is the Minister taking his ball and going home. It just doesn't sit right with me. Get him on something solid, then sure, send him on his way, but this ain't it.

Which is why it's a bullshit order. Novak may change his mind and choose to get vaxxed while he's here too. No matter how unlikely, it's a still a possibility. This is the Minister taking his ball and going home. It just doesn't sit right with me. Get him on something solid, then sure, send him on his way, but this ain't it.
It doesn't have to sit right with you.

In fact, the personal powers vested in the minister to quash visas doesn't sit right with a lot of people, and haven't for going on 50 years.

But whatever our feelings are about it, feelings are not grounds to quash the cancellation.

Without grounds, the cancellation will stand and it'll be Novak who takes his bat and ball (and tennis bag and hangers-on) and goes home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naaman Zhou(@naamanzhou)
Novak Djokovic’s legal team sent the immigration minister a blurry screenshot of an online poll run by the Age and the SMH that asked “Should Djokovic stay?” — where they themselves voted "Yes" pic.twitter.com/fTYbrTNObj

January 15, 2022

Lol
TBF they probably had to choose an option to view the results of the poll, and whatever they chose would still be used against them by people like you

Yet another bad take.

Not discriminatory when he was picked up for not following rules.
It's a fact that other competitors with less profile than Novax were able to get through with the same exemption without incident.

It doesn't have to sit right with you.

In fact, the personal powers vested in the minister to quash visas doesn't sit right with a lot of people, and haven't for going on 50 years.

But whatever our feelings are about it, feelings are not grounds to quash the cancellation.

Without grounds, the cancellation will stand and it'll be Novak who takes his bat and ball (and tennis bag and hangers-on) and goes home.
So feelings are ok to deport, but feelings aren't ok to cancel that? Got it

I continue to be astounded by people who don't understand the very basics of Australian civics and law.
That's great, but it doesn't address in any way at all what I posted. But please, tell me more about things that "astound" you because it's really interesting

Edit:
I don't even know what you mean when you say "Australian civics", do you mean citizenship?

Too late to get vaxed as it takes a week to kick in. Besides that he needs 2 vaccinations, besides that he can't be vaccinated shortly after contracting covid.

Except for the part where their visas have been cancelled and they have been sent home.

If Novak is to be treated the same as the others, he should go home too.
And if Novak never came to Aus, they'd still here going about their business.

Except for the part where their visas have been cancelled and they have been sent home.

If Novak is to be treated the same as the others, he should go home too.
I don't recall those people being sent to Parks hotel? I wonder what brought attention to them.

Back