Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Contracted till this year. You can count the weeks instead of years to his delisting now. Remember when the general consensus was that he’d step right into Neale’s role in the midfield? Oh dear.
Absolutely, people were just biding their time for him to come back in 2019 from injury and tear it up in the midfield......and he proceeded to shit the bed.

Which is unfortunate.....he actually looked like he could be good in 2017.

Wait am I seeing people say they want Blakely to get a run? I don't care how much he's tearing it up in the WAFL when he should have been delisted 2 years ago. I have no idea why we still keep him on the list when he has proven himself time and time again to be a liability.
We signed him to a 3 year extension in 2019, so couldn’t delist him, this is the final year of his contract so will be 1st out the door

Wow - some pretty major melts here. This is my take.

We're are third on the ladder, yet virtually every site that does player rankings literally only has Brayshaw from Freo towards the top of the rankings. One I saw the other day had no other Freo player in the top 50 of the comp. What that tells me - and some commentators have been saying the same all week is that: (1) we are much more system focused than any other team; (2) don't f*** with the system.

We have gone for like for like replacements:

Darcy for Meek
Chapman for Logue
Banfield for Frederick
Amiss for Lobb
Young and Henry for Acres and Colyer (with Young replacing Aish in the back line and Aish pushing forward)

Acres has played wing most of the time he's been on the ground and Colyer has been playing a high forward/covering the wing role.

Henry spent all of pre-season training on the wing and high forward. Sturt doesn't play that role and Erasmus doesn't play that role.

If we were simply picking our best available players then Amiss wouldn't be debuting - but I don't see anyone complaining that Amiss was selected ahead of Erasmus and Sturt.

Now, I'd happily entertain a discussion about whether Sturt would be a better replacement for Frederick than Banfield, but the selection of Henry makes complete sense.

We're are third on the ladder, yet virtually every site that does player rankings literally only has Brayshaw from Freo towards the top of the rankings. One I saw the other day had no other Freo player in the top 50 of the comp. What that tells me - and some commentators have been saying the same all week is that: (1) we are much more system focused than any other team; (2) don't f*** with the system.

Darcy for Meek
Chapman for Logue
Banfield for Frederick
Amiss for Lobb
Young and Henry for Acres and Colyer (with Young replacing Aish in the back line and Aish pushing forward)

Acres has played wing most of the time he's been on the ground and Colyer has been playing a high forward/covering the wing role.

Henry spent all of pre-season training on the wing and high forward. Sturt doesn't play that role and Erasmus doesn't play that role.

If we were simply picking our best available players then Amiss wouldn't be debuting - but I don't see anyone complaining that Amiss was selected ahead of Erasmus and Sturt.

Now, I'd happily entertain a discussion about whether Sturt would be a better replacement for Frederick than Banfield, but the selection of Henry makes complete sense.
This is a much better reasoned way of saying what I was talking about up there ^ :rainbow:

Absolutely, people were just biding their time for him to come back in 2019 from injury and tear it up in the midfield......and he proceeded to shit the bed.

Which is unfortunate.....he actually looked like he could be good in 2017.
The ‘three amigoes’. We got stuck with the not-so-good one.

Winger out, winger in - makes sense to me.

Erasmus has missed a week due to concussion, the right move is to run him through Peel again, if he backs it up he’s probably back in and maybe staying in.

Sturt is the strange one for mine… he must have something that he needs to work on.

Winger out, winger in - makes sense to me.

Erasmus has missed a week due to concussion, the right move is to run him through Peel again, if he backs it up he’s probably back in and maybe staying in.

Sturt is the strange one for mine… he must have something that he needs to work on.

Sturt needs to look more like Cerra

Darcy for Meek
Chapman for Logue
Banfield for Frederick
Amiss for Lobb

Actually you're right that Henry is probably more of a replacement for Colyer's role than Freddie's as I posted earlier. I forgot Colyer was out too.

And conversely Banfield is probably better suited to trying to disrupt the opposition like Freddie does, though we lose a lot offensively with that substitution.

Actually you're right that Henry is probably more of a replacement for Colyer's role than Freddie's as I posted earlier. I forgot Colyer was out too.

And conversely Banfield is probably better suited to trying to disrupt the opposition like Freddie does, though we lose a lot offensively with that substitution.
I like what Frederick is doing and promises, but don't think he is playing at a level that makes him critical to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like what Frederick is doing and promises, but don't think he is playing at a level that makes him critical to us.

Yeah it's more that we lose the potential offense his attributes provide rather than what he actually delivers regularly at the moment.

Hopefully Banfield can bob up with that knack he has of getting a goal or two.

Does North Melbourne have the most ever hyphenated players? Ha.

Luke Davies-Uniacke
Jason Horne-Francis
Callum Coleman-Jones

North side looks ok on ball and half forward as named on the team sheet.

About half of their team is in the 40-150 games played range, then add the two veterans in Ziebell and Goldstein.

FB: Kayne Turner, Aidan Corr, Josh Walker
HB: Luke McDonald, Ben McKay, Lachie Young
C: Curtis Taylor, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Bailey Scott
HF: Jaidyn Stephensen, Cameron Zurhaar, Tarryn Thomas
FF: Paul Curtis, Jack Ziebell, Jed Anderson

FOLL: Tod Goldstein, Jy Simpkin, Jason Horne-Francis

IC: Atu Bosenavulagi, Hugh Greenwood, Callum Coleman-Jones, Flynn Perez

EMG: Jack Mahony, Tom Powell, Kyron Hayden, Matt McGuinness

With our outs and their ins, this should be a pretty entertaining game between 2 young sides.

Hopefully the shackles are off and it's a fun game. If we were full strength it would be 50pt win or not good enough.

It's like a mini preseason game. I don't feel any stress about it at all.

HYL has got one of the whistles; That worries me.

Some perspective re choices.
Henry: Yes he's a closer like-for-like position filler than others.
Also, a pre-existing investment. His chance to show the MC what/if he's learnt from that.
And, he's familiar with The System.

Erasmus: club knows he's rolled gold. With concussion histories shaping as darkest future threats to playing careers, I wouldn't rush this beauty back for anything.

Some perspective re choices.
Henry: Yes he's a closer like-for-like position filler than others.
Also, a pre-existing investment. His chance to show the MC what/if he's learnt from that.
And, he's familiar with The System.

Erasmus: club knows he's rolled gold. With concussion histories shaping as darkest future threats to playing careers, I wouldn't rush this beauty back for anything.

Nailed it.

I'll admit I'm a little disappointed with his selection given what I've seen of Henry's performance in the WAFL.

Think some of the frustration with him may be how he's tracking comparative to our other top picks from his draft year...Caleb and Young are firmly in our best 22 while he's still yet to hit the mark.

That said, I'll still support him and hope he does well, and still have faith that he'll live up to expectations.

Not gonna lie, I hope we cause the upset of the 2022 season against your fellas. It would require an incredible, almost implausible number of things to go right for us. But AFL is nothing if not unpredictable.
Your list is excellent. I love what's happened to your brand of gameplay this year. Its awesome rebound footy built on a robust system, around a great balance of under appreciated players.
I hope we get to see a Melb - Freo - Brissie - Syd top 4 at the end of the year, just to piss off the big club aristocracy.

If I'm Sturt Im leaving Fremantle come seasons end. Plenty of Melbourne based clubs that will actually give him an opportunity

This is dumb. The club has stuck by sturt. He owes the club not the other way around. Be patient his time will come and the club will be better for it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not gonna lie, I hope we cause the upset of the 2022 season against your fellas. It would require an incredible, almost implausible number of things to go right for us. But AFL is nothing if not unpredictable.
Your list is excellent. I love what's happened to your brand of gameplay this year. Its awesome rebound footy built on a robust system, around a great balance of under appreciated players.
I hope we get to see a Melb - Freo - Brissie - Syd top 4 at the end of the year, just to piss off the big club aristocracy.
Your mob won in wa last time against the Eagles. It will be a good game against 2 young sides. Will be an entertaining clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back