Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They must be hoping Henry can play Freddie's pacy HHF role. I'm not sure he has the intensity to cause the panic and chaos Freddie does, but we'll see.
i reckon he'd suit the role that colyer's being playing personally, especially with his balluse

Wow - some pretty major melts here. This is my take.

We're are third on the ladder, yet virtually every site that does player rankings literally only has Brayshaw from Freo towards the top of the rankings. One I saw the other day had no other Freo player in the top 50 of the comp. What that tells me - and some commentators have been saying the same all week is that: (1) we are much more system focused than any other team; (2) don't f*** with the system.

We have gone for like for like replacements:

Darcy for Meek
Chapman for Logue
Banfield for Frederick
Amiss for Lobb
Young and Henry for Acres and Colyer (with Young replacing Aish in the back line and Aish pushing forward)

Acres has played wing most of the time he's been on the ground and Colyer has been playing a high forward/covering the wing role.

Henry spent all of pre-season training on the wing and high forward. Sturt doesn't play that role and Erasmus doesn't play that role.

If we were simply picking our best available players then Amiss wouldn't be debuting - but I don't see anyone complaining that Amiss was selected ahead of Erasmus and Sturt.

Now, I'd happily entertain a discussion about whether Sturt would be a better replacement for Frederick than Banfield, but the selection of Henry makes complete sense.
couldn't have said it better myself, great post.

It will obviously be closer than it would have been if we had Tabs, Lobb, Freddy, Colyer & Acres.
The only way we lose is if we are not on mentally & the outs disrupt our focus. This can definitely happen & is a real test for our coaches & players to see if we are becoming a ‘complete’ team.

I think the outs will actually make us focus more than we would have if we had a best 22 team, so I think Covid has actually done us a favour to not go in thinking we have already won

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some perspective re choices.
Henry: Yes he's a closer like-for-like position filler than others.
Also, a pre-existing investment. His chance to show the MC what/if he's learnt from that.
And, he's familiar with The System.

Erasmus: club knows he's rolled gold. With concussion histories shaping as darkest future threats to playing careers, I wouldn't rush this beauty back for anything.
He was concussed playing wafl. I wonder statistically if it is more or less likely to be concussed there than at AFL level?

This is dumb. The club has stuck by sturt. He owes the club not the other way around. Be patient his time will come and the club will be better for it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree that the club has stuck by him to, but it is his out of contract year and they aint giving him a game even when we have a COVID outbreak. What would you be thinking if you was Sturt.

He was concussed playing wafl. I wonder statistically if it is more or less likely to be concussed there than at AFL level?
It's the time interval I'm particularly thinking of. It's likely, maybe highly desirable that further findings recommend a longer breather between potential concussions whatever the level.

Not gonna lie, I hope we cause the upset of the 2022 season against your fellas. It would require an incredible, almost implausible number of things to go right for us. But AFL is nothing if not unpredictable.
Your list is excellent. I love what's happened to your brand of gameplay this year. Its awesome rebound footy built on a robust system, around a great balance of under appreciated players.
I hope we get to see a Melb - Freo - Brissie - Syd top 4 at the end of the year, just to piss off the big club aristocracy.

You don't want North to win on the weekend that Simmo is staying in WA to work out the details on his next coaching job.

Reckon he has, otherwise it's a revolving door back out.
kid has talent

I reckon this is Henry’s last chance given all the players lining up to return next week and also Sturt/Eramus trying to get a game. Probably the same for Banfield, if either don’t fire this week I think they will both be way back in the que to get another game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse me to interrupt but i'm still annoyed at Freo.

Changed my tip last second before game and you beat Cats (which I wanted as I hate the Cats and really hope you guys do well this season) so was furious I lost faith!!! (my fault entirely....... ; )

Seems you have quite a few out this weekend, so lets hope for a good game and no injuries.

May the best team win!

I've heard that the club hasn't picked Sturt as motivation that he needs to lift certain areas of his game. Some may argue Henry and Sturt are similar in needing to up their pressure game, but they don't play the same position, so not like for like comparison.

No doubt this will hit Sturt in the guts. I want to see him tearing it up in the WAFL this weekend proving to match selection they made a mistake not picking him.

People are saying we're gifting Henry a game, same could have been said if they'd picked Sturt who hasn't quite met the markers he's been set.

Not sure about Erasmus, could have something to do with the concussion though.

The Henry hate is honestly ridiculous. I'm still in the camp that says he's gonna make some of you look silly eventually. He's still younger than when Sonny turned elite.
Sonny showed more in his first few seasons before ross lyon transformed him.

I remember that banana kick at the gabba that won us the game i think in 2011.

Does anyone remember one moment from Henry that went gee he has some class.

I think Banfield is in sturt's position personally as the medium forward not Henry. So you cant really compare the 2.

Obivously match committee with so many outs i feel didnt want too much rawness especially in the forward line. So went with the seasoned Banfield instead. And decided to pick Amiss ahead of sturt. They didnt want to carry both.

Um , yeah actually he's shown plenty of classy ball use. He's starting 22 on ball use alone, one of the best at delivering inside 50. But he needs to do more than that, specifically increase pressure and be more aggressive at the contest.

Strange post tbh, his skill is elite.

Yeah, his kicking into the f50 to a leading forward. Quite a few of those were rather sexy.

Sheesh, I’m no lover of Henry either but some of the hot takes on here would make Skip Bayless cringe.

I just that we have built our record on an excellent turn around in our pressure game and for all his tricks Henry is the worst chaser at the club by an absolute street

Hope he digs in but it could easily backfire on us with Amiss not really having had time to build up his base as well

Risky selection I think

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Um , yeah actually he's shown plenty of classy ball use. He's starting 22 on ball use alone, one of the best at delivering inside 50. But he needs to do more than that, specifically increase pressure and be more aggressive at the contest.

Strange post tbh, his skill is elite.
Yeah, I don't get the fuss about Henry or Sturt, especially now we're playing well. Let's give the coaches a chance to develop both these highly skilled guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back