Review Dogs 106 def Suns 87

Remove this Banner Ad

No one’s going to say it but McComb was ok. Very glad we kept Jordan Sweet as well. Did well against one of best rucks in the league.

Williams actually looks like a wingman- gets to the right places and is great overhead. He is getting his confidence back as well.
Nah, he wasn’t. Clangers by foot and hand. Goes hard, good on him, but cannot keep his spot when some players return (McLean, JJ, Garcia). He will soon be passed by Bedendo as well.

Last edited:
The main problem I see with Sweet is the endurance issue. He really struggled to cover the ground in the second half. But him and Timmy together makes a lot of sense to me, use Sweet in bursts to get the most out of his physicality and let English go to work around the ground. It's got to be worth a shot at least.

To me the only real justification to select just the one ruck would be if we had 3 dangerous marking targets up forward. The cost in the ruck has to be outweighed by a 3rd tall taking marks and kicking goals.

Cordy's 5 disposals, 6 hitouts and 1 mark dont do enough. Particularly when Khamis provides more scoreboard output (or at very least the potential to do so) than Cordy.
Although, according to the player ratings above, Roarke Smith played a better game than Buku today.

Can anybody who follows these things tell me how many minutes and what parts of each quarter Sweet played?

It seemed like we lost all momentum late in the first 3qtrs. This appeared to be when we had Cordy undertake the unenviable task of following Witts around the ground. A task that nobody believes he is equiped to undertake.

Sweet was having a hard enough time of it with Witts. Im curious as to whether he was on the ground during these periods. Or whether he doesn't have the tank to play the majority of a game. Something we need our rucks to do given our preference for playing a single ruck.

Something I don't think will change when English returns next week.

Whilst Im here. Can anybody at the ground tell me where Williams playing. Wing, half-forward or half back? It was hard to tell watching it on the Teeeev.

I actually thought Sweet was pretty good in terms of ground level effort. Zaine is more agile sure but he’s not exactly racking up touches. Would definitely prefer Sweet as second ruck.

Problem is if he is 2nd ruck he needs to impact up forward and take contested marks.

Was very happy with his performance today, he made sure Witts didn’t influence the game and gave our midfield the advantage but if he plays second fiddle can he impact forward ?

Then again Cordy didn’t do a lot

Very happy with West and Sweet to hold spots and Cleary has ability. He also freed up Williams into a new role and he was good

Problem is if he is 2nd ruck he needs to impact up forward and take contested marks.

Was very happy with his performance today, he made sure Witts didn’t influence the game and gave our midfield the advantage but if he plays second fiddle can he impact forward ?

Then again Cordy didn’t do a lot

Very happy with West and Sweet to hold spots and Cleary has ability. He also freed up Williams into a new role and he was good
But Cordy doesn't impact up forward and take contested marks. And Cordy gets dominated when he rucks. Cordy was a huge net negative today. Sweet may not be the perfect partner for English but Cordy is diabolically bad as a second ruck/forward.

But Cordy doesn't impact up forward and take contested marks. And Cordy gets dominated when he rucks. Cordy was a huge net negative today. Sweet may not be the perfect partner for English but Cordy is diabolically bad as a second ruck/forward.
While it’s only VFL the few times Sweet went up forward last year (or was it the year before I don’t remember) he showed he could take a grab and kick some goals. He would be more effective than Cordy in the forward 50 as a marking target.

While it’s only VFL the few times Sweet went up forward last year (or was it the year before I don’t remember) he showed he could take a grab and kick some goals. He would be more effective than Cordy in the forward 50 as a marking target.
I imagine Bevo would have some reservations about his pressure forward compared to Cordy but we should have enough from the others.

Last edited:
I’m not sure the side would have won that if not for Richards marking in the last quarter. The backline looked shaky all day even though the Suns weren’t getting great entries, it certainly highlighted how important Duryea is at ground level.

I think this just proves the Sweet doubters completely wrong, the side was dominant around the ball when he was in there. Having a physical presence gives the midfield a chance, which is all they need. Hopefully he stays in with English back and the side gets the ruck setup that I called for before the season started.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The talls were pretty rock solid. It was our smalls in particular Daniel and Dale who go slaughtered by the Suns forwards.

We missed the steadiness of Duryea like we missed easy goals out there today.

underrated win, GC were good,

Sweet had a really good first half, Witts took both he and Cordy to the cleaners in the second half and nearly dragged GC over the line. thankfully we had Bont.

generally speaking we got good value from our bottom players, but it wont be like that consistently, we need some cattle back to replace some of McComb, McNeil (kicking is terrible, the 2 set shots were flukes), scott, Buku. id persist with West and Cleary as my bottom players.

on the fence with TOB, does some dumb things

FTQ0dg7UEAAazEC
Yes!!!
My boy Robbie plays his third career best game in a row. Surely worth a Brownlow vote or two today?

The talls were pretty rock solid. It was our smalls in particular Daniel and Dale who go slaughtered by the Suns forwards.

Gardner was really good today - very good signs that he was able to counter Casboult’s aerial threat all day.

Keath needs to get a decent run with injuries to pick up some form…

Gardner was really good today - very good signs that he was able to counter Casboult’s aerial threat all day.

Gardy broke the Levi

led zeppelin GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main problem I see with Sweet is the endurance issue. He really struggled to cover the ground in the second half. But him and Timmy together makes a lot of sense to me, use Sweet in bursts to get the most out of his physicality and let English go to work around the ground. It's got to be worth a shot at least.
For all the sabre rattling about his game today. I suspect that this is why the match committee have been so reluctant to play him.

He doesn't seem to have a lot of utility around the ground and wouldn't really be a threat if rested forward.

Its stints in the ruck or a reduced rotation when English is playing in the centre.

Having said that. Martin should never play in his place ever again.

Sweet ruck today work was probably one of the best i have seen for a few years. yes it is a low bar. Witts is a dominant ruck and only hurt us when Cordy went in. Some of sweets tap work was first class and he nullified Witts. No chance Cordy should keep his spot ahead of him. Bring Tim back ruching 50/40 ruck/fwd and Sweet 50/30. Give it a go for 5 weeks and let’s see how it goes.

if we can get JJ, Hunter and Weightman back for McComb, McNeil and Scott we ate far stronger. Also I would prefer Crozier over Clearly long term.

good to see Bont play well

Can anybody who follows these things tell me how many minutes and what parts of each quarter Sweet played?

It seemed like we lost all momentum late in the first 3qtrs. This appeared to be when we had Cordy undertake the unenviable task of following Witts around the ground. A task that nobody believes he is equiped to undertake.

Sweet was having a hard enough time of it with Witts. Im curious as to whether he was on the ground during these periods. Or whether he doesn't have the tank to play the majority of a game. Something we need our rucks to do given our preference for playing a single ruck.

Something I don't think will change when English returns next week.

Whilst Im here. Can anybody at the ground tell me where Williams playing. Wing, half-forward or half back? It was hard to tell watching it on the Teeeev.
I’ve just got home from ground and he seemed to be half back. His best game for quite some time. But BOG for me and all those around me was Ed Richards.

Thought Sweet was good. Just needs to up his involvement around the ground. Maybe just a belief thing.

Ed Richards - Brilliant, brilliant game. Brave, sure hands, penetrating kick.

Williams - adds a different dimension to the wings. Scott was also good.

Buku didn't get near it today. I suspect he stays in but plenty of learnings for him. Needs to get on his bike and present on some leads rather than fly from the back each time.

Gardner was an absolute train wreck. Any time he went near the ball was either a lost of contest or a free against (or a potential free)

Cleary - the elephant in the room here. Shirked more than one contest, didn't go hard enough. If he is not dropped this week he'll be a lucky boy.

Good to finally win a couple on the trot. Certainly wasn't a complete performance, but it felt like we had it under control even though it was close. Our forward line has functioned pretty well even without a lot of our best 22 players. Good to see a few others like McComb and Williams hit the scoreboard and kick goals at some crucial stages of the game.

Our back line is a real worry though. As great as Richards was (and I mean really great), I'm not sure he should be going up for as many balls as he does. We need him on the ground ideally as Gold Coast had too many numbers at ground level in the forward line. Hopefully Keath and O'Brien can get it together because they should be the ones intercepting and spoiling the high ball.

I imagine Bevo would have some reservations about his pressure forward compared to Cordy but we should have e enough from the others.
What pressure does Cordy do though? Hard to see on TV obviously the off the ball blocks etc but I think they are struggling to find a spot for him as he is ineffective at both ends and certainly not a ruckman

What pressure does Cordy do though? Hard to see on TV obviously the off the ball blocks etc but I think they are struggling to find a spot for him as he is ineffective at both ends and certainly not a ruckman
I agree. I just think the coaches will be considering it when weighing up 2 rucks.

And then Libba39

Gardner was an absolute train wreck. Any time he went near the ball was either a lost of contest or a free against (or a potential free)

Just shows how people see things differently, I thought he was poor in the contest and played tunnel ball at one stage that cost a goal but I'm not his biggest fan.

He does really worry me against good forwards albeit Casboult has been good this year

The fact that Bevo played two rucks in last years grand final should be all the convincing you need that he values the position. Obviously we did that because Bruce was out but even at the beginning of last year we had stages where we played the two forwards and two rucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back