Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously the picks can/will be different after the season but this is the structure the crows will be looking at I think, see if the Suns are willing to deal.
I still think that deal is too good for Adelaide and if Suns are effectively giving up a 2nd as part of the deal it should at least be the least valuable one.

I still think that deal is too good for Adelaide and if Suns are effectively giving up a 2nd as part of the deal it should at least be the least valuable one.

Possibly yep. The Suns value picks differently to the rest of the comp, they may have no need for 26 if they have 4+8, they'll probably try push these picks to next year anyway.

or maybe to get the points for Brisbane, they could pass on a couple of their 3rd rounders instead to a points value at least their pick 26. With their picks they are likely to not even use their 3rd rounders or want look to shift them to 2023

or maybe to get the points for Brisbane, they could pass on a couple of their 3rd rounders instead to a points value at least their pick 26. With their picks they are likely to not even use their 3rd rounders or want look to shift them to 2023
If I'm the Suns, I'm getting 14 from Brisbane (no one is better placed to grab that pick off them) and there is no reason for me to give you 14 in a deal in anyway. Normally when you have excess picks, you want to move up the draft, not hand over one of the higher ones in losing one of your players

Assuming they cant bring in any decent players, they should be hitting the draft with 3 first round picks again.

Possibly yep. The Suns value picks differently to the rest of the comp, they may have no need for 26 if they have 4+8, they'll probably try push these picks to next year anyway.
Yeah, they'll either want to take 3 1st round picks to the draft or move one of those 1sts to next year.

If they get pick 14 from Brisbane, they shouldnt be handing it over to Adelaide in anyway but its GC so who knows

If I'm the Suns, I'm getting 14 from Brisbane (no one is better placed to grab that pick off them) and there is no reason for me to give you 14 in a deal in anyway. Normally when you have excess picks, you want to move up the draft, not hand over one of the higher ones in losing one of your players

Assuming they cant bring in any decent players, they should be hitting the draft with 3 first round picks again.
They might.

I wonder if the crows might split pick 4 before any deal is set up. Maybe with a side just inside the 8 that wants a player likely to go top 5. Maybe get a 2022 mid 1st (pick 10-13 range) and 2023 1st for pick 4. Then off goes the mid 1st and maybe a future 2nd for Rankine and it would leave the club with 2 x 2023 1sts..or they might offer one of the 2023 1sts and our 2022 2nd for Rankine - effectively a mid 1st and a 2nd

Reid has started to get a harder edge to negotiation over the last couple of seasons and I would not put it past him to bargain hard with GC

Yeah, they'll either want to take 3 1st round picks to the draft or move one of those 1sts to next year.

If they get pick 14 from Brisbane, they shouldnt be handing it over to Adelaide in anyway but its GC so who knows
Why not?

If we’re giving up 4 we should be getting something back.

I’ve said this across multiple boards and no one has given an answer, when has a similar age, talent, experience etc. player who is out of contract, received a pick that high in return? With the exception of Weller, which is unanimously agreed as a ridiculous trade by Gold Coast, it hasn’t happened. Which is why we should expect something back if we are giving up 4.

Why not?

If we’re giving up 4 we should be getting something back.

I’ve said this across multiple boards and no one has given an answer, when has a similar age, talent, experience etc. player who is out of contract, received a pick that high in return? With the exception of Weller, which is unanimously agreed as a ridiculous trade by Gold Coast, it hasn’t happened. Which is why we should expect something back if we are giving up 4.
Reasons why I think you'll pay pick 4 with MAYBE a later 2nd round pick back
  • Whether his output is worth it not, Adelaide have determined he's worth close to an 800k a year contract, they value him highly
  • The media hype matches that of an 800k a year player
  • His draft was only 4 years ago and he was pick 3 in a known incredible top 7, players keep their value if they perform reasonably well and the draft is recent.
  • Unfortunately, quite a bit of what clubs pay is tied to what they have, you have pick 4, which will be pick 5

Cerra was performing well for us and we got 6 and change (slightly less then his draft position), I dont see why that will be different for Rankine.

• Whether his output is worth it not, Adelaide have determined he's worth close to an 800k a year contract, they value him highly
  • His draft was only 4 years ago and he was pick 3 in a known incredible top 7, players keep their value if they perform reasonably well and the draft is recent.
  • Unfortunately, quite a bit of what clubs pay is tied to what they have, you have pick 4, which will be pick 5

Cerra was performing well for us and we got 6 and change (slightly less then his draft position), I dont see why that will be different for Rankine.
Fair enough, and I guess that’s how the two clubs will be arguing, obviously I think a late 2nd round pick is too late.

Rankine’s contract is hardly unprecedented, but again, no one else has gotten pick 4 straight up.

True…

But you’ve just got to look at the comments coming out of the club this year to know they clearly rate their players more than they should..

Nicksy saying the midfield, when he was prioritising Sloane/keays/crouch/laird, was stacked to the point where he couldnt give the younger mids on the list a run through there..

Just delusional.

Finally with an injury to Sloane, the giving up on Crouch, the moving of Keays out of there they have given opportunities to Berry, shoey, soligo etc and “hey presto” the midfield already looks a hundred times better!..

These clowns are now probably thinking there arent that many issues there that need addressing.. a sort of “lets see how this new midfield we’ve got going here develops over the next year or so and re-address it then” type attitude..

Use some draft capital to get Rankine in… and if JHF becomes available lets chase that too.. instead of holding onto their top pick(s) and worrying about getting a phillipou type in..

I’m hoping another they look at throwing massive coin at when his current contract expires is Elijah Hollands..
Aparently he is a huge crows fan and wouldve loved to have been drafted by them and played for the club.. and I think they probably wouldve grabbed him over TT if it wasnt for his knee injury.. no one’s using pick 1 in the draft on a bloke with a current recovering knee recon no matter how high they rate them..

The Suns are in the same situation GWS have been for years now.. a whole heap of young stars on their list coming into their prime that are gonna be asking for the big dollars and not enough cap space to accomodate even half of them!..

Look at how many GWS have had to shed over the past 5 or so years..

End of 2024 offer Elijah a contract he cant refuse and the suns simply cannot match..
I hope they start playing zak taylor next year. Just remove keays. He's absolute trash.

I hope they start playing zak taylor next year. Just remove keays. He's absolute trash.
Id be encouraging Sloane to retire a year early and telling mcrouch in no uncertain terms that if he stays he plays SANFL all year next year which wouldnt be a bad thing because his dominance would help in developing our youth at SANFL level..

Id be encouraging Sloane to retire a year early and telling mcrouch in no uncertain terms that if he stays he plays SANFL all year next year which wouldnt be a bad thing because his dominance would help in developing our youth at SANFL level..
Would be absolute madness for Sloane to stay on the list. Did his knee mid April so he misses the preseason games and first month of the year. Then he’s going to need a couple of SANFL games and what happens if the team is playing well and the kids are developing, whose development are we going to stifle to accomodate Sloane and which position would he play? Can’t be midfield.

Would be absolute madness for Sloane to stay on the list. Did his knee mid April so he misses the preseason games and first month of the year. Then he’s going to need a couple of SANFL games and what happens if the team is playing well and the kids are developing, whose development are we going to stifle to accomodate Sloane and which position would he play? Can’t be midfield.
When an AFL player in his early 20’s does a knee they soend a year out if the game and then their first year back playing is also pretty much a write off before they finally get back up to somewhere near normal output..

Sloane was just about completely cooked before he did his knee.. it’ll take him 3 years to fully recover.

Berry, shoey, taylor, soligo and a couple of others will have well and truely taken his spot by then.

Needs to take his pay cheque for his last year and retire… and the crows should demand the AFL wipe it from their salary cap like they did for the Pies with whatshisname!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When an AFL player in his early 20’s does a knee they soend a year out if the game and then their first year back playing is also pretty much a write off before they finally get back up to somewhere near normal output..

Sloane was just about completely cooked before he did his knee.. it’ll take him 3 years to fully recover.

Berry, shoey, taylor, soligo and a couple of others will have well and truely taken his spot by then.

Needs to take his pay cheque for his last year and retire… and the crows should demand the AFL wipe it from their salary cap like they did for the Pies with whatshisname!
Prioritising others.

He will still get paid, we need the list spot.

And why should Adelaide just accept that?

He’s not worth pick 4 straight up. Mcgovern got 800k and didn’t cost that in a trade.
Cerra has been a better performer than Rankine so far.

If gc pulled something like that, I would tell them that pick 4 is now off the table.

And why should Adelaide just accept that?

He’s not worth pick 4 straight up. Mcgovern got 800k and didn’t cost that in a trade.
Cerra has been a better performer than Rankine so far.

If gc pulled something like that, I would tell them that pick 4 is now off the table.
McGovern was older and not a recent pick 3. Cerra better performed? I’d say both were comparable for their positions. If Gold Coast pulled something like what? All I said was trade for Brisbanes pick separately and then not give it over to Adelaide, why is saying they shouldn’t hand it over to the Crows is some great insult?

I still think all things considered it will be pick 4 and if your guys do well, get a pick 30ish back with it

Holy s**t the Victorian media have been so predictable on this one so far
I know.
Some of the s**t coming out of the Vic media is laughable.
How dare Izak want to go home.
Everyone else re-signed and they were supposed to be all in together.
His manager is doing the wrong thing by him by getting him a massive salary and the ability to get home to friends and family.
GC moved Izaks brother up there to live with him, so he has family there.
They don't really care about players leaving GC, but it's killing them to see one of their best coming back to a SA club.
The melts are gold.

The Crows are paying 800k so should give up 4 thing is one way to look at it.

On the other hand, GC are only offering 600k, so should they be compensated for a player they only believe is worth 600k?

The Crows are paying 800k so should give up 4 thing is one way to look at it.

On the other hand, GC are only offering 600k, so should they be compensated for a player they only believe is worth 600k?
I suppose, it's not so much that the Crows should pay pick 4 because of the 800k, but more that they clearly value him very very highly and so will be prepared to pay more draft capital - if that makes sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back