Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

See those bolded bits :arrowup: – not my logic, and both quite silly. The Suns don't need to equate trade value with financial value, he's already at the club and they offer him exactly what THEY think he's worth to stay. If a buyer thinks he's worth more, trade accordingly.

I agree that salary isn’t relevant to trade value.

A players performance, their potential, their age, their experience, their position, all these things are though.

I think Charlie Cameron is as close to Rankine as you can get in almost all of those factors. He’s a small forward, he was OOC, he’d spent four years with us. He perhaps didn’t have quite as high a ceiling as Rankine, but had played more games and his performances to that point were far more impressive than Rankine’s. We accepted pick 12. This is why I’m suggesting that Rankine is worth around about pick 8-12.

Pick 4 is a significant upgrade on that, which means if that’s what we give you, then we rightfully would expect something back. Rankine and 8 for 4 and 22 (if ladder positions stay as they are), would be fair IMO, do you disagree?

I agree that salary isn’t relevant to trade value.

A players performance, their potential, their age, their experience, their position, all these things are though.

I think Charlie Cameron is as close to Rankine as you can get in almost all of those factors. He’s a small forward, he was OOC, he’d spent four years with us. He perhaps didn’t have quite as high a ceiling as Rankine, but had played more games and his performances to that point were far more impressive than Rankine’s. We accepted pick 12. This is why I’m suggesting that Rankine is worth around about pick 8-12.

Pick 4 is a significant upgrade on that, which means if that’s what we give you, then we rightfully would expect something back. Rankine and 8 for 4 and 22 (if ladder positions stay as they are), would be fair IMO, do you disagree?
I don't think there's any indication (right now) that Rankine doesn't quickly resemble everything you'd expect from a #3 pick. That's still exactly where I value him.

Would any club's draft team NOT take Rankine (with 4 years development) at pick 4 this year. Doubt it.

Last edited:
No, I don't think there's any indication (right now) that Rankine doesn't quickly resemble everything you'd expect from a #3 pick. That's still exactly where I value him.

Walsh, the King brothers, Rozee, Butters and Smith are all well ahead of him, at this stage it’s clear that Gold Coast would have been much better selecting any of Max King, Rozee, Smith or Butters with their pick 3. He’s not worth pick 3 then and he isn’t worth it now.

Look at Cerra, Freo used pick 5 on him but had to settle for a pick they knew would be pushed out to 8. This is despite him being probably the 3rd best player in his draft and was a far more proven player than Rankine is.

You might think that Rankine is worth pick 4 straight up, but every comparable trade over the past decade shows that you are incorrect.

Crows should be giving this contract to Dunkley not Rankine.

Walsh, the King brothers, Rozee, Butters and Smith are all well ahead of him, at this stage it’s clear that Gold Coast would have been much better selecting any of Max King, Rozee, Smith or Butters with their pick 3. He’s not worth pick 3 then and he isn’t worth it now.

Look at Cerra, Freo used pick 5 on him but had to settle for a pick they knew would be pushed out to 8. This is despite him being probably the 3rd best player in his draft and was a far more proven player than Rankine is.

You might think that Rankine is worth pick 4 straight up, but every comparable trade over the past decade shows that you are incorrect.
You're not paying attention to the bigger picture. You've isolated what is fast becoming regarded as a super-draft and think that establishes the value of pick three in any draft? That's daft.

• Plowman
  • Billings
  • Angus Brayshaw
  • Oliver
  • McCluggage
  • Dow
  • Rankine
  • Jackson
  • Will Phillips
  • Finn Callaghan

They're your last ten picks at #3. Rankine looks to fit (is tracking) quite nicely in there – some very good footballers, one superstar, and a couple fails.

You're not paying attention to the bigger picture. You've isolated what is fast becoming regarded as a super-draft and think that establishes the value of pick three in any draft? That's daft.

• Plowman
  • Billings
  • Angus Brayshaw
  • Oliver
  • McCluggage
  • Dow
  • Rankine
  • Jackson
  • Will Phillips
  • Finn Callaghan

They're your last ten picks at #3. Rankine looks to fit (is tracking) quite nicely in there – some very good footballers, one superstar, and a couple fails.

No, you were providing the fact that you used pick 3 to select Rankine as justification for why he is worth that in trade negotiations. I referenced that draft to prove the point that I he value of a player changes, just because you used pick 3 and they look good, doesn’t mean they’re still worth that.

Point to me when a pick near pick 4 has been traded for a player similar to Rankine in quality, age, experience etc.

Crows should be giving this contract to Dunkley not Rankine.
Rumours are stronger on Dunkley to Port.. with a couple of media spivs saying he’s worth a second rounder..

but the rumours are also still saying Crows are also looking at him.. not outside the realms of possibility that they could go for both Rankine and Dunkley.

they do have shitloads of cap space..

Rumours are stronger on Dunkley to Port.. with a couple of media spivs saying he’s worth a second rounder..

but the rumours are also still saying Crows are also looking at him.. not outside the realms of possibility that they could go for both Rankine and Dunkley.

they do have shitloads of cap space..
We really should be going for a free agent and save draft capital

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really should be going for a free agent and save draft capital

There is no free agent on the market this season as close to the talent and potential of Rankine GK

Well worth the punt from the Crows perspective imo, your club traditionally has been conservative traders, I think it's actually refreshing you are going all in and breaking the bank to secure one of the most exciting if enigmatic young players in the game.

There is no free agent on the market this season as close to the talent and potential of Rankine GK

Well worth the punt from the Crows perspective imo, your club traditionally has been conservative traders, I think it's actually refreshing you are going all in and breaking the bank to secure one of the most exciting if enigmatic young players in the game.
Yeah I have to agree with this. With Dawson and now Rankine, it finally seems like we're looking to target some real exciting, high-tier talent after years of settling for basement bargains (we won't talk about Gibbs lol)

I’m not suggesting not going for Rankine but not trading for more players.

I’m not suggesting not going for Rankine but not trading for more players.
Adding also that unless someone like JHF was available i am more inclined to try to trade for rankine with our 2023 1st and whatever balance outs that comes with.

The idea of getting rankine AND a phillipou (or read one of the top end mids) this year just accelerates our rebuild and we should back ourselves in next year to not finish bottom 6.

Adam Kelly's comments about reaching the trading stage of the rebuild are premature imo.
True…

But you’ve just got to look at the comments coming out of the club this year to know they clearly rate their players more than they should..

Nicksy saying the midfield, when he was prioritising Sloane/keays/crouch/laird, was stacked to the point where he couldnt give the younger mids on the list a run through there..

Just delusional.

Finally with an injury to Sloane, the giving up on Crouch, the moving of Keays out of there they have given opportunities to Berry, shoey, soligo etc and “hey presto” the midfield already looks a hundred times better!..

These clowns are now probably thinking there arent that many issues there that need addressing.. a sort of “lets see how this new midfield we’ve got going here develops over the next year or so and re-address it then” type attitude..

Use some draft capital to get Rankine in… and if JHF becomes available lets chase that too.. instead of holding onto their top pick(s) and worrying about getting a phillipou type in..

I’m hoping another they look at throwing massive coin at when his current contract expires is Elijah Hollands..
Aparently he is a huge crows fan and wouldve loved to have been drafted by them and played for the club.. and I think they probably wouldve grabbed him over TT if it wasnt for his knee injury.. no one’s using pick 1 in the draft on a bloke with a current recovering knee recon no matter how high they rate them..

The Suns are in the same situation GWS have been for years now.. a whole heap of young stars on their list coming into their prime that are gonna be asking for the big dollars and not enough cap space to accomodate even half of them!..

Look at how many GWS have had to shed over the past 5 or so years..

End of 2024 offer Elijah a contract he cant refuse and the suns simply cannot match..

These clowns are now probably thinking there arent that many issues there that need addressing.. a sort of “lets see how this new midfield we’ve got going here develops over the next year or so and re-address it then” type attitude..

Use some draft capital to get Rankine in… and if JHF becomes available lets chase that too.. instead of holding onto their top pick(s) and worrying about getting a phillipou type in..
Are you suggesting that we should prioritise Phillipou over JHF?

True…

But you’ve just got to look at the comments coming out of the club this year to know they clearly rate their players more than they should..

Nicksy saying the midfield, when he was prioritising Sloane/keays/crouch/laird, was stacked to the point where he couldnt give the younger mids on the list a run through there..

Just delusional.

Finally with an injury to Sloane, the giving up on Crouch, the moving of Keays out of there they have given opportunities to Berry, shoey, soligo etc and “hey presto” the midfield already looks a hundred times better!..

I’m hoping another they look at throwing massive coin at when his current contract expires is Elijah Hollands..
Aparently he is a huge crows fan and wouldve loved to have been drafted by them and played for the club.. and I think they probably wouldve grabbed him over TT if it wasnt for his knee injury.. no one’s using pick 1 in the draft on a bloke with a current recovering knee recon no matter how high they rate them..

The Suns are in the same situation GWS have been for years now.. a whole heap of young stars on their list coming into their prime that are gonna be asking for the big dollars and not enough cap space to accomodate even half of them!..

Look at how many GWS have had to shed over the past 5 or so years..

End of 2024 offer Elijah a contract he cant refuse and the suns simply cannot match..
Common, you want us to be worried about Hollands and 2024? :p Let's first deal with Rankine trauma and then worry about Anderson and Rowell.

No doubt in my mind that Suns will lose some players as they can't keep them all similar to GWS. That's what picks concessions do among other things. Even Cameron mentioned in one of his interviews that Suns have no choice but to follow GWS model. You would hope that good environment, team playing better, playing finals will help to convince players to stay for less. It's actually already happening with most recently re-signed players according to Dew's interview. Living on GC is also much more attractive proposition than Western Sydney. More players coming from academy should also help.

I just hope that Suns will not be so stupid like GWS who apparently have 4 players on 1.2-1.3M at the moment and none of them delivering accordingly. At the moment, Suns highest paid player is probably Touk speculated to be on 800K.

BTW, it looks like Suns are into Elijah's brother Oliver.

As for Crows, in 2024 who knows, your cap space may not be what it is now as Crows will have to pay some maturing young talented players too. It's probable that Victoria teams will go hard after Rachele if he delivers on this year promise :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back