Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

If he gets involved so much, then why does he win so little of the football?
Who cares? His chasing and tackling play a vital role for the team. Our pressure in the forward half is significantly better when he plays

If he gets involved so much, then why does he win so little of the football?

Not sure he's ever been a high possession player

Sometimes it's the ability to work up & down the ground, create a contest & bring the ball to ground rather than allow an easy intercept mark etc, which is just as important

We've seen the last couple of weeks that we haven't always been the best at creating contests along the wings, with the opposition taking easy marks and the ball coming straight back into the attacking 50 - Stewart marks & repeat

We need someone to create a contest in those situations, which is something Rohan can bring

Not sure he's ever been a high possession player

Sometimes it's the ability to work up & down he ground, create a contest & bring the ball to ground rather than allow an easy intercept mark etc, which is just as important

We've seen the last couple of weeks that we haven't always been the best at creating contests along the wings, with the opposition taking easy marks and the ball coming straight back into the attacking 50 - Stewart marks & repeat

We need someone to create a contest in those situations, which is something Rohan can bring
Our other options include changing structure to put someone like SDK/Kolo on the wing or try a 3 tall forward setup and hope Neale can do it

Can someone please explain the Bailey Smith appeal to me?

Coming off a serious knee injury, has had off-field issues, is not a good ball user, does not hit the scoreboard as a midfielder.

This time next year he will be a player returning from 12 months out from the game, with his pre injury form being suspect also.

I get that he was pretty great early in his career, but I do not want to pay for past performance.

Buyer beware, I hope we have moved on.

I'm thinking with Mitch Duncan having another child he might be on his way out at the end of the year.
He's accomplished everything he has needed to in footy.

Hawk i think will be done, Stanley looks like he's about finished, Rohan is dealing with constant injuries now so he looks done.
2E might be needed to be tapped on the shoulder, he's been a servant but it's time.
Kids are expensive. He might need the cash

People need to stop being obsessed with disposal numbers.

If Rohan can kick 1.5-2 goals a game give a s**t ton of pressure and give us an outlet that can crash packs that is easily good enough he doesn't need 20+ touches a game if he can the this with 5-10
If Rohan kicked 1.5 to 2 goals a game, he’d be a very different footballer.

Coming off a serious knee injury, has had off-field issues, is not a good ball user, does not hit the scoreboard as a midfielder.

This time next year he will be a player returning from 12 months out from the game, with his pre injury form being suspect also.

I get that he was pretty great early in his career, but I do not want to pay for past performance.

We need a player to lead the Conway, Bruhn, Holmes, Clark & Knevitt midfield.

Danger isn't going to be around much longer, and with his injuries, it's looking like a 15 games per year scenario for him these days.

I agree that he wouldn't be the first choice in an open draft. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, and we need that player and he presents as the best option.

He's still pretty young. Because of his profile it feels like he's been around forever...but he's a 2018 draft graduate.

If we can get him without selling the farm, and get his head straight coming into the prime years of his career, he's exactly what we need considering what's available.

It is something we are really missing at the moment Someone who can present up the wing for an outlet.
I think Dempsey will be that player, he has certainly been that player at VFL level.

It's a good dovetail with Ollie Henry IMO - Henry stays closer to goal, Dempsey presents that third tall option up the ground.

Kind of in the same way that Chapman and Johnson had that alchemy during our 07 to 2009 golden era - Chappy generally pushed further up the ground to be both scorer and creator, SJ stayed closer to goal. Miers obviously plays a similar role, but he's not strong overhead.

I think Dempsey will be that player, he has certainly been that player at VFL level.

It's a good dovetail with Ollie Henry IMO - Henry stays closer to goal, Dempsey presents that third tall option up the ground.

Kind of in the same way that Chapman and Johnson had that alchemy during our 07 to 2009 golden era - Chappy generally pushed further up the ground to be both scorer and creator, SJ stayed closer to goal. Miers obviously plays a similar role, but he's not strong overhead.
Dempsey well could be that player eventually but right now he isn't and won't be consistent enough at it. Hence the Rohan or Neal need or OH to start doing it.
Also i think Dempsey will be a midfielder within the next 2 years he just needs size.

We get trapped not being able to move it a fair bit with no outlet a decent amount of time.

Now we need to recruit someone who can be that player long term if we want Neal deep forward with Rohan retiring soon. Unless Knevitt can become that wing/outlet player but i am not sure that is his go and as i said i would prefer Dempsey be a midfielder in the next few years as i see that as his best position.

In short our best bet for that right now is Rohan with maybe Neal or Dempsey doing it when he isn't fit. But long term we need to recruit someone for it.

We need a player to lead the Conway, Bruhn, Holmes, Clark & Knevitt midfield.

Danger isn't going to be around much longer, and with his injuries, it's looking like a 15 games per year scenario for him these days.

I agree that he wouldn't be the first choice in an open draft. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, and we need that player and he presents as the best option.

He's still pretty young. Because of his profile it feels like he's been around forever...but he's a 2018 draft graduate.

If we can get him without selling the farm, and get his head straight coming into the prime years of his career, he's exactly what we need considering what's available.
We can’t be signing a player just because of his age.

What are the attributes that we are confident that he would bring to the team? I have deliberately used the word “confident” given the risks that are involved with him.

Maybe I just haven’t seen enough of him play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think like a lot of bulldogs players, Bevo has him in the wrong position. I think he could be a damaging inside mid.

We can’t be signing a player just because of his age.

What are the attributes that we are confident that he would bring to the team? I have deliberately used the word “confident” given the risks that are involved with him.

Maybe I just haven’t seen enough of him play.

Bit of risk attached but the thing I like the look of with him is that burst of 3-5 first paces. That power and acceleration is something none of the young mids have (unless Holmes whacks on a few more kgs).

Take danger out of the middle (which we will be doing very soon) and Bruhn, Atkins, Clark, Bowes are all a step or two behind the pacier mids.

I don't think he needs to be elite at anything other than that burst of acceleration to win contested possession because it's the only thing we really lack in the rotation.

Knee would need to be tested before we make an offer. Maybe a shorter contract than we would otherwise consider. Wouldn't at all touch our future picks. Given those boundary conditions I think it could be the right risk to take. Don't really see anyone else at the trade table that could bring that and a draftee wouldn't add it.

Understand why others would not want given the ball use by foot and some of his decision making. But I think a one dimensional player is a good thing to add if you lack that dimension.

Bit of risk attached but the thing I like the look of with him is that burst of 3-5 first paces. That power and acceleration is something none of the young mids have (unless Holmes whacks on a few more kgs).

Take danger out of the middle (which we will be doing very soon) and Bruhn, Atkins, Clark, Bowes are all a step or two behind the pacier mids.

I don't think he needs to be elite at anything other than that burst of acceleration to win contested possession because it's the only thing we really lack in the rotation.

Knee would need to be tested before we make an offer. Maybe a shorter contract than we would otherwise consider. Wouldn't at all touch our future picks. Given those boundary conditions I think it could be the right risk to take. Don't really see anyone else at the trade table that could bring that and a draftee wouldn't add it.

Understand why others would not want given the ball use by foot and some of his decision making. But I think a one dimensional player is a good thing to add if you lack that dimension.
If that is all he brings, then he is a very limited player. We would need to be very very very confident in the condition of his knee.

If he is looking for a contract longer than 2 years then we should forget about it.

If that is all he brings, then he is a very limited player. We would need to be very very very confident in the condition of his knee.

If he is looking for a contract longer than 2 years then we should forget about it.

I would have taken the risk on Smith before the knee. After the knee it would be crazy stuff. He will be looking for a 5 year deal at a million a year. JOM was a good player before he had his knee injury. After he struggled. Let the Hawks make the same mistake twice, don't follow the Clarko model to the bottom 4 gambling on Smith.

Happy to acknowledge I'm probably in the minority with it but I'd be fine with it simply because I don't see a way we get another player with those attributes for 2025

Happy to acknowledge I'm probably in the minority with it but I'd be fine with it simply because I don't see a way we get another player with those attributes for 2025
Shaun Mannagh was just recruited to Geelong as 26 year old because of that very attribute. Plus he uses the ball better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back