1st Test: Australia v New Zealand @ Gabba (Thurs - Mon) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
aus.png
VS
nzl.png

Gabba, Thursday - Monday

A new look Australia takes to the Gabba, with a new selection panel in charge, a new coach in Mickey Arthur and an injury wrecked lineup that will feature at least 3 debutants in the baggy green.

David Warner has used a strong mid year tour to Zimbabwe, a mostly struggling pool of fellow openers and a Shane Watson pinged hamstring to make his debut in the Australian whites alongside his fellow Baggy Blue in Phil Hughes as the only change to the batting lineup that managed a win in the last test. The bowling attack will feature at least 2 changes however as hero Cummins has a sore heel and goat Johnson, who has mostly been an achilles heel to his captains lately, has a mysterious foot injury and it is not the mystery of where the good bowling went. The injury prone couple of Harris and Marsh are still currently injury prone and weren't considered.

All that means is that 2 bowlers who mostly struggled on a batsmen friendly Allan Border Field surface in the A game will be lining up here. Depending who you talk to (or more likely which state you come from) you will find an argument in support of or against Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson and Ben Cutting.

Pattinson: Has toured with Australia recently. Touted as a future star. Capable of bowling with the new ball.
Cutting: Gabba is his home pitch and he has a strong record. Likes the extra bounce. In great form.
Starc: Gabba is about the only ground he has a good record on. Bowls with his left hand. [strike]Is from NSW[/strike] I kid I kid.

Want the negatives? Read the other thread......

New Zealand come in riding high on the wave of an assault on some average spinners on a flat pitch on a small ground. Though the enigma of Brendon McCullum did smash the above bowling contenders to all parts in the 1st innings when their was some meaning in the game. Let it not go without saying that they very nearly lost to Zimbabwe recently, though their talented but more injury prone than Harris and Marsh combined batsman Jesse Ryder is back. Add in Ross Taylor and you have the makings of a reasonable batting lineup.

Both sides will likely be hoping for some grass to be left on the strip such is their bowling attacks and a question mark over their ability to take 20 poles.

Local grass roller Kevin Mitchell Junior says there will be, though if I had a dollar for every time I hear of a juicy wicket that turns into a dull road, I wouldn't be sitting here. Ok I would be I would just have a better chair.

Australia XII
David Warner
Phillip Hughes
Usman Khawaja
Ricky Ponting
*Michael Clarke
Michael Hussey
+Brad Haddin
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon
James Pattinson
Ben Cutting
Mitchell Starc
In:James Pattinson
Ben Cutting
Mitchell Starc
David Warner

Out:patrick Cummins
Mitchell Johnson
Shane Watson

New Zealand XIII
Martin Guptill
Brendon McCullum
Kane Williamson
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Dean Brownlie
Reece Young
Daniel Vettori
Doug Bracewell
Tim Southee
Trent Boult
Chris Martin
BJ Watling
In: Ryder
Boult
Southee

Out: Patel

Umpires:
Aleem Dar (Pak)
Asad Rauf (Pak)
DRS - Nigel Llong (Eng)

Coverage:
Cricket Australia
ninek.png

grandstand.png

Weather:
Might be some rain on day 1, we are due.
Fine for the rest. Temperatures much more friendly than we have experienced in the last week.

Session Times (Local):
10:00am - 12:00pm
12:40pm - 2:40pm
3:00pm - 5:00pm (let's be honest, 5:30. Enjoy watching the news for the last 30 minutes Vic/NSW/Tas people)​

Re: 1st Test: Australia v New Zealand @ Gabba (Thurs - Mon)

:D :thumbsu:

And good to see Kevin Mitchell lied, this pitch is DEAD and offers nothing. The only wickets that fell yesterday were by batsmen throwing their wickets away, the pitch is slow, flat, not the 'pacy green-top' he sold to us.

Offers nothing? Wouldn't quite go that far.

But yes I did say multiple times that he is a known bull shit artist

Finally hang onto one!

Can't wait to see Martin bat, funniest thing to see :D

Gotta feel for Vettori. I've always had a huge amount of respect for him, fighting a lone hand in a horrible NZ outfit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is vettori being referred to as a spud?! Ridiculous. He's an outstanding cricketer.

Great knock that deserved a hundred. Shame he ran himself out

Yep. There are some absolute turkeys posting on this board, unfortunately.

Would have loved to see him get his hundred. Oh well.

He's a great NZ cricketer. A pretty good cricketer overall.

Tests: 106 matches; 4000+ runs, 6 centuries, 30+ average; 350+ wickets, <35 average.
ODI: 272 matches; 2000+ runs; 280 wickets.

If that isn't outstanding, then I'd like to know why.

Victorian. :thumbsu:

I reckon this is why Siddle is so disliked on here. The grunts of the "Victorian: as if this mob are only following their own give people a reason to hate them too. This shit emanates from one state and one state only.

now on topic. Siddle bowled pox this morning but ramped up this spell

Tests: 106 matches; 4000+ runs, 6 centuries, 30+ average; 350+ wickets, <35 average.
ODI: 272 matches; 2000+ runs; 280 wickets.

If that isn't outstanding, then I'd like to know why.

Any bowler averaging over 30 isn't outstanding. Quite good but never great - EVER. Of course he is a good bat for a bowler so that adds to the overall package but in the overall scheme of things I am happy with my assessment.

That's not to say he isn't bloody good. But outstanding.......I perhaps don't use the word as freely...or maybe we don't consider outstanding to mean the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back