2021 Australian Summer of Tennis*

How will the Aussie Open look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Strict conditions, can expect further withdrawals.

But I'm not unhappy with the strict conditions. After living in Melbourne during 2020, I don't want any possibility of going through lockdown for months and months again.

This is entirely political. Andrews and the Labor government cannot risk a covid outbreak due to anyone connected from the tennis community. There is a fair bit of public angst against the tournament going ahead at all, so these strict conditions are not a surprise.

I've deleted my posts after this as they became off topic. But I'm ok with the strict conditions as mentioned.

Last edited:

But I'm not unhappy with the strict conditions. After living in Melbourne during 2020, I don't want any possibility of going through lockdown for months and months again.
And neither should you have to. Dictatorship isn't a good thing.

A lot of players are going to be shocked at what the 'Hapy Slam' has turned into. Really sad.

Who is a dictator? I'm comfortable with what the vic government did last year to ensure we got back to zero cases. Don't want to risk an outbreak because of tennis.

2021 aus open was never going to be a normal AO. Sure the players realise that.
I really don’t want to detail this thread. But when was it ever about ZERO cases? Wasn’t it about avoiding overcrowding of hospitals? Hospitals are empty. Why has the narrative changed? Can’t you see what is happening in front of your own eyes? Wake up.

I really don’t want to detail this thread. But when was it ever about ZERO cases? Wasn’t it about avoiding overcrowding of hospitals? Hospitals are empty. Why has the narrative changed? Can’t you see what is happening in front of your own eyes? Wake up.
It became about zero cases for the government.

Apart from exceptional circumstances, if you're guaranteed a main draw place in the AO as well as a bit of action in other tournaments can it be that hard to leave family for a month or two whilst picking up 100k in prize money?

Yeah don't need you telling me to wake up thanks. I am comfortable with the Victorian Government and the decisions they have made here and what decisions they have made in regards to the AO.
Pretty sad to see this mentality really. The fear and paranoia people have over an invisible threat. I must’ve missed all the young healthy people dropping dead in Victoria last year. Willing to embrace any restrictions placed over fear. When looking at statistics, and they should still mean something, this threat is totally overblown.

Yeah don't need to read your opinion over this at all. Interesting that you feel like young and healthy people are the only ones to care about. Invisible threat? Wow.
Yeah, never want to hear conflicting opinions because they don’t fit your narrative. What a surprise that you don’t want to read my opinion. Oh I said that did I? Not putting words into my mouth? Average age of death with covid right in line with average age expectancy was it not? Are they not facts? Are facts still relevant with you or not?

I think the majority of players will be happy just to play tennis. Especially on the girls side. They will lump it for 6 weeks.

My worry is that the Victoria will overreact to a couple of small cases and prevent crowds. Trust that Tennis Aus will have processes in place to prevent a super spreader event. They already seem up to date with zones and designated seating. I am sure a mask mandate is easily possible. Tennis Australia has spent a fortune on this event. What little income they get from this will be gold. Personally, I am sick of watching sports events with no crowds.

On top of that, and keeping to the tennis, I wonder if Tennis Aus will use the roofs. The difference between indoor and outdoor capacity limits can be massive. Down here in Tassie, Indoors, you can only have 300 people. Outdoors is 50% capacity if you have a covid safe plan.

There is a Federal Government plan to live with Covid and keep it under control which NSW is doing very well.

There is a seperate state government plan to have zero cases which exists in WA, VIC and QLD...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a Federal Government plan to live with Covid and keep it under control which NSW is doing very well.

There is a seperate state government plan to have zero cases which exists in WA, VIC and QLD...
Yep, for the most part I’m a fan of how NSW have handled things.

Yep, for the most part I’m a fan of how NSW have handled things.

So many arguments with morons who think NSW has been a complete disaster and totally lost control of it because it spread to Victoria...

Of course Victoria still don’t know how it got into Victoria but they ignore that just to blame NSW!

So many arguments with morons who think NSW has been a complete disaster and totally lost control of it because it spread to Victoria...

Of course Victoria still don’t know how it got into Victoria but they ignore that just to blame NSW!
Yep, totally ridiculous! Sometimes I think people forget their population and that facts don’t matter, they’d much rather sensationalise.

I wonder if Tennis Aus will use the roofs. The difference between indoor and outdoor capacity limits can be massive.
Interesting question. You think they would prefer to keep the roof open, but the heat policy must still be in place. I'm sure it has been discussed/decided on by TA, but don't know if it has been made public.

This is entirely political. Andrews and the Labor government cannot risk a covid outbreak due to anyone connected from the tennis community. There is a fair bit of public angst against the tournament going ahead at all, so these strict conditions are not a surprise.

I've deleted my posts after this as they became off topic. But I'm ok with the strict conditions as mentioned.

Seriously - How could a bunch of tennis players who will be tested from pillar to post be an issue - And even if you fluke a positive or two, then the systems are in place to stop any transmission - I'll also add tennis like all international sports have been operating in a bubble/hub since July - As these are still continuing it suggests they work - Actually, I would prefer the Aussie Open adopt the same system that were in operation at the US Open and the French Open - You arrive in the country MUST test negative to enter the bubble and then stay in the bubble for the duration of the tournament - As it stands now, players are out of the safety of the bubble after 14 days - The worst thing was if a player got infected from the general community after leaving the bubble.

According to players and officials, since tennis resumed using hubs, the USA has lead the way in having the strictest bio-security protocols at tournaments.

Tomic through to the final round of qualifying beating the young Aussie Tristian Schoolkate after having match point. He now somehow faces another Australian in journeyman JP Smith. Somehow Tomic might actually be favourite for this, you can't make this stuff up....

Back